collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Next time the bossman hit me, I'm gonna give him a big surprise - Lightnin' Hopkins, Penitentiary Blues

Author Topic: Daddy John's Birthday!  (Read 9439 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Daddy John's Birthday!
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2015, 07:16:17 AM »
Thanks, Frank.  Next up is Papa Charlie Jackson doing "That's the Way, Uh-huh Uh-huh, I Like It"--not!

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2016, 08:09:19 AM »
Not seen much of Colm round here of late, but he has made this something of a Weenie tradition.  I wont be in a position to record and post on Tuesday so I'm posting my one take attempt at Spikedriver 2 days early.  Let the festivities commence!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2016, 12:55:20 PM »
That really sounds good, Simon.  I like how much you vary it as you go along, it feels very "lived in".  Singing sounds similarly relaxed and familiar with the song.
All best,
Johnm

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2016, 06:10:26 AM »

Well the rumours of my demise have been exagerated. ;)

Really delighted to see Simon holding with tradition. I love to hear anybody playing a MJH tune ( if you got a version please share it here) but it is a real treat to hear an accomplished player like Simon.! Well done.

Attached is my 2016 attempt at Monday Morning Blues. Happy Birthday John Hurt! You are more than a musician to me!

Colm
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 01:46:29 PM by colm kill paul »

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2021, 06:53:39 AM »
Hi All,

Monday is the 8th of March and the anniversary of the inspirational Mississippi John Hurt's birthday. We have the weekend to record something to post here to mark the man and his legacy! Can be anything! MJH played all...originals, covers, religious and rude...have some fun and join me in wishing the great man a happy birthday in this crazy year of the Covid 19 pandemic.

Colm

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2021, 01:13:40 AM »
I play this tune in honour of the great man's birthday: Happy Birthday Mississippi John Hurt! As it is International Women's Day too we should remember also Mary Jane McCain, John's mother, who as a single mother of 10 children, with very limited resources, found the way to give her youngest child, John, the guitar he so pined for when he was 9 years old. She changed music forever! Also for the wonderful Mary Frances Hurt Wright, John's granddaughter who cherishes his legacy so beautifully.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2021, 01:26:33 AM »
Great seeing and hearing you again, Colm!

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2021, 02:33:21 AM »
Tooo Looong! Thanks Prof S.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2021, 10:04:32 AM »
I don't think I've done this one before in this thread (though I think I did it in a very compressed Back Porch mp3 many many years ago!).

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2021, 12:01:11 PM »
Thanks, Colm, for suggesting re-instituting this tradition and for taking the bull by the horns and doing something about it. Thanks also for your version of "Let The Mermaids Flirt With Me"--sounding good! I assume the landscapes in the video are the ocean viewed from Galway? Beautiful!
Thanks also, Simon, for "Richland Woman Blues", sounding good with a lot of flow, too.

I'll try and post an arrangement of mine of a song that, as far as I know, John Hurt never recorded, though the sound was certainly influenced by his sound. The song is "The Cat's Got the Measles and the Dog's Got the Whooping Cough", which was done by Papa Charlie Jackson and Walter "Kid" Smith, though this version is nothing like either of theirs. I hope I made the .mp3 small enough--sound likely to be very no-frills, sorry.

All best,
Johnm

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »
Simon,

beautiful version of Richland Women Blues. Spell binding performance! thank you.

By some cosmic force we both have chosen tunes which MJH composed the guitar part for but the lyrics were written by W.E. Myer of the Lonesome Ace Record Company, Viginia.

Until I found that detail out these two tunes used to puzzle me. Avalon has to be 500 miles plus from the sea...why did MJH write about Mermaids and similarly Richland was a  hell of a drive for a date...why would he sing about Richland Women! It was a real..."Aha!" moment when I learnt about Myer writing the lyrics.

Ps I got a lovely reaction today on Facebook from Mary Hurt Wright, MJH's granddaughter for marking his birthday https://www.facebook.com/groups/958474884248927/permalink/3803506059745781/?comment_id=3803989743030746. She would want to her thanks to you too I'm sure.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 12:03:27 PM by colm kill paul »

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2021, 12:14:50 PM »
Dog Gone John Miller! If that ain't the prettiest and funest pandemic party tune ever, well I don't know what is!

Thanks for the kind words John. This is fun!

By the way, I moved north east and live on the other coast of Ireland now. The images are of Carlingford Lough, and rather lazily, are shot from my living room window! They still look nice all the same I think!

Best,
Colm

Offline joe paul

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2021, 12:55:50 PM »
Thanks Colm for reminding us, good to see and hear you again!
Great stuff from Simon and John too. That Cat's got the Measles is cool.
Here's my try at Sliding' Delta

Cheers
Gordon

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2021, 01:26:24 PM »
Gordon,

Thanks for posting and joining in the party. Slidin Delta is a great tune and you've got that train vibe down!  It is great to see someone enjoying playing MJH they way I do too! Brilliant.

Colm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2021, 01:47:38 PM »
Nice job, Gordon! I like the way you ease into it with the out-of-tempo intro, very ruminative, and then switch to playing time when you hit it. That really worked for me.
all best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal