collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Dr. Dominicker, what is your text going to be next Sunday?" "Well brother fowls and sister fowlettes, my text next Sunday will be taken from the Bed of Feathers." "The Bed of Feathers?" "Titled 'If the Rooster Had a Toothache, Would the Hen Pull It?'" - Honeyboy and Sassafras, "The Chicken Sermon" on Cluck Old Hen - A Barnyard Serenade (Old Hat)

Author Topic: What is Vestapol tuning?  (Read 10331 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: beginner here! what is vestapol?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 11:54:09 AM »
Spanish tuning is sometimes referred to as Open G (DGDGBD) or Open A (EAEAC#E). Similarly to Vastapol, there was a popular parlor era song, called Spanish Fandango, which gave the name to this tuning. Also like Vastapol, it doesn't matter what key you tune or capo to, the the intervals between the strings are always the same, 5th-root-5th-root-3rd-5th, and that's Spanish tuning.

The other common tuning you'll see mentioned a lot is Crossnote tuning, which is similar to Vastapol except that it has a minor 3rd, and thus is a minor tuning, root-5th-root-minor 3rd-5th-root. This was used extensively by Skip James and, in his rediscovery recordings, Bukka White, as well as others.

You can find threads in the main forum here with lists of songs in these keys, or go to the Adventures in Open and Alternate Tunings section in the Keys to the Highway area, to which there is a link in the left menu.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

flakey foont

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
quick question: what are alternate tunings good for? i've read that some of them make slide playing easier, and i understand that the bass is lower, but do you actually get notes from it outside of "our" music system? + can anyone instruct me on a simple, referential way of tuning the guitar to, say, open g? i don't really understand this "root note;5th;root note;3rd"etc. stuff. thanks alot

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 11:30:22 AM »
Spanish in G (Open G) is, from lowest string to highest: DGDGBD.  So your middle three strings are the same as in "standard" tuning: EADGBE.  Just tune the sixth string down a whole step to "D", the fifth down to "G" and the first down to "D." 

Your guitar will be tuned to a "G" chord, but note that it is NOT the same structure of a "G" that you normally play in standard in the first position.  Hope that helps.
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal