collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Every time she shakes, some man's dollar's gone - Blind Boy Fuller, Meat Shakin' Woman

Author Topic: Black Friday  (Read 929 times)

Offline Vidal

Black Friday
« on: November 30, 2014, 05:54:06 AM »
I only found out this year what Black Friday actually is.  I thought it was youth-speak for Friday 13th.  Like trick-or-treat, school proms, pop tarts and the like, it is an unwelcome import from the States (okay, you more than made up for it by giving us modern music [I was going to say Lonnie Johnson, but decided to widen it to virtually all modern music]).  Anyway, this is a convoluted way into asking why there are never bargains on Martins, Gibsons, Lowdens, Taylors, etc. on Black Friday?  Indeed, there would appear to be a cartel operating throughout the year when it comes to quality acoustic guitars.  Sure, prices vary from country to country, but, certainly in the UK, prices don't vary greatly. This leaves some of us hoping against hope that they get a chance of a good second-hand guitar from the likes of eBay, or a charity shop, which doesn't quite realise what it has (does that make me unscrupulous? or forever hopeful?)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Black Friday
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:48:49 AM »
I had to google Black Friday to find out what it was. Never heard of it before, and I'd rather never hear of it again!

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:51:53 AM »
Very Good Gentleman. That is progress. Now today's lesson is to learn all about "Cyber Monday"  ;)

Colm ( I could find the tongue in cheek emoticon...)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
We scored a nice pressure washer with a Honda motor at Tractor Supply at a $100 off, excellent. It's the first time I've ever felt motivated to go shopping the day after Thanksgiving. So BF does have an upside, if you need something and it's on sale.

Offline Vidal

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 03:21:50 AM »
I feel sure that Washboard Sam would have gotten a good tune from a pressure washer with a Honda motor but how are you getting on with it? ;)
On a more serious note (no pun intended), how do you tune it? Do you download one of those app thingies? :)

Offline P D Grant

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 11:58:15 AM »
In answer to the original question, because they're premium products that people aspire to and will buy regardless, so there's no need to discount them as far as the producer/retail is concerned. That said, I noticed a few Apple deals this year (although not from Apple) and they very rarely discount for the same reasons. If I could only get a discount on that lovely Kalamazoo I saw the other day *sigh*

Offline Vidal

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »
In answer to the original question, because they're premium products that people aspire to and will buy regardless, so there's no need to discount them as far as the producer/retail is concerned. That said, I noticed a few Apple deals this year (although not from Apple) and they very rarely discount for the same reasons. If I could only get a discount on that lovely Kalamazoo I saw the other day *sigh*
I think there is something more sinister at work here than "they're premium products that people aspire to".  A few years back one of the large supermarkets in the UK (Asda, Tesco or the likes) started selling Levi jeans at discounted prices and Levi took them to court to get a stop to the practice - at least, that is my recollection.  I feel sure that, given the chance, some music stores would take a hit on prices, either as a publicity stunt or simply to encourage people in.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal