collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
'W.C Handy Is A Liar!' Says Jelly Roll - Down Beat headline August 1938, from Lost Sounds by Tim Brooks

Author Topic: Modern Fender 12 string sample  (Read 2247 times)

Offline harriet

Modern Fender 12 string sample
« on: June 25, 2015, 01:32:18 PM »
Maybe its not of interest but fender has a modern concert sized 12 electric/acoustic string that I think does well with finger picking, in case anyone is shopping around for them.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:27:11 AM by harriet »

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
Re: Modern Fender 12 string sample
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »
Nice, I would consider it if I didn't have a great 12 string already. I started my guitar playing career as a punk rock guitarist so playing some blues on a punk rocker's signature guitar would be fitting for me. :)

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:12:11 AM »
I don't own a 12 sting. I never even played one. Is it difficult to play a 12 string (compared to a 6 string guitar)?
I guess you have more volume, a bigger sound and a natural chorus effect but you don't see the 12 string that often in the blues. Of the early players I can only think of McTell, Leadbelly and Barbecue Bob. Modern players Kottke, Geremia and Alvin Youngblood Hart.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 03:34:30 PM »
Is it difficult to play a 12 string (compared to a 6 string guitar)?

Not really difficult,  but you may need to tone down what you do to get the most pleasing sounds out if it. Not everyone digs having octaves all over the places, or at all...  I'm sure the setup I like right now would send some people screaming into the night just based on the description.

I guess you have more volume, a bigger sound and a natural chorus effect but you don't see the 12 string that often in the blues.

The volume depends on the setup.  You'll definitely get a fuller sound, but you don't really get more volume unless you keep things kinda tight (tuned higher).

Of the early players I can only think of McTell, Leadbelly and Barbecue Bob. Modern players Kottke, Geremia and Alvin Youngblood Hart.

Old guys: John Byrd, George Carter, Charlie Lincoln, Miles or Milas Pruitt, Charlie Kyle, Louis Lasky
New guys: Charlie Parr, Ari Eisinger, Pat Conte, Frank Fotusky, Steve James

I'm sure there are others.

Harriet - that guitar sounds nice the way you've got it set up...  Looks like these go for about 350-400 USD...  is that about what you paid, if you don't mind my asking?

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »
I'm sure there are others.

Frankie Basile springs immediately to mind  :)

Bruce Cockburn fingerpicks a classic Guild 12, not CB exclusively but I totally respect Bruce's contributions to music, caught his solo show in Ithaca NY a couple of months back. He did a knockout rendition of BWJ's Soul of a Man, on an old dobro though, so forgive the off topic swerve. It was the highlight of the show, for me anyway.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 06:40:46 PM by Rivers »

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 10:16:10 PM »
I don't own a 12 sting. I never even played one. Is it difficult to play a 12 string (compared to a 6 string guitar)?

You may find it strange at first but you would probably get used to it quickly. I play the twelve string in both open tuning and standard tuning. I often will take a song I learned on the six string and play it on the twelve to give it a different texture. Sometime it can sound too cluttered on the twelve. I find you can get a lot with less on a twelve string....if that makes sense.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 05:28:31 AM »
Frank Fotusky is another modern 12.string player.

Cheers

Pan

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 06:37:53 AM »
We would be totally remiss in failing to mention Pete Seeger.  Harry Lewman, too.  And Fred Gerlach for his connections to Rev. Davis and Tiny Robinson. And John Koerner.

Offline alyoung

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 03:39:07 AM »
Playing a 12 can be physically a lot more demanding than playing a six, especially if you're tackling those big Leadbelly numbers tuned down and with heavy strings. Two or three runs thru Fannin' Street and you won't have to go to the gym today.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 06:28:34 AM »
Yes, good to be aware of this if you have hand issues like me. Sometimes when I get carried away on the 12-string, I'm feeling it for a couple days. Mostly in the picking hand - the stress of double courses and heavier gauges?

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »
The original topic morphed quickly from a new Fender 12 to modern 12 string players. Maybe we should split the thread. That way I can mercilessly bash the former (I've never played a Fender acoustic that was worth the time), without detracting from the worthy content on the latter.

Hey, maybe it's a great guitar. That would be a first though. BTW I love teles & strats. Fender acoustics have always been junk, to date, in my experience.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:07:41 PM by Rivers »

Offline harriet

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 07:09:46 PM »
Bash away :) or delete the thread, glad that the list came out of it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:15:34 PM by harriet »

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 12:16:24 PM »
glad that the list came out of it.

I guess I started the list accidently.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 06:06:45 PM »
Sorry Harriet I went straight to ax-grinding mode, as I tend to do whenever the words 'Fender' and 'acoustics' appear in the same sentence. I need to check out that concert 12, there certainly is a demand for it.

I sincerely hope Fender have got it right and will continue to do so. It's crazy that one of the great instrument builders have never had a legendary acoustic to put their name on, after producing so many over the years. It baffles the hell out of me.

Offline Nicolas Dussart

• Salut les mecs !
    • some concerts photos
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 04:04:20 AM »
Since many years, the croatian guitarist Hal (Damir Halilic) uses a Fender 12 string :
HAL - 12 STRING SPECIAL

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal