collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It costs too much to live, but I guess I'd better try. The undertaker's got a union, and it costs too much to die - Anon., The High Cost of Livin'

Author Topic: 12-String Players NOT from Georgia  (Read 12773 times)

HarryL

Re: 12-String Players NOT from Georgia
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2006, 02:22:21 PM »
From Howard (Louie Bluie) Armstrong, I learned that a musician from Knoxville, TN,  Joe Evans was a 12-string player.  I googled him and came up with a few CDs none of which I have.  I believe I heard some of his recordings, but they didn't sound like a 12-string.

The interesting thing:  Howard told me that Joe Evans came up with the guitar licks that were used so often by Howard's guitarist and that were the foundation for the song:  Crow Jane.    Joe's version was actually a song with lyrics that Joe called:  Good Morning Judge.  This was composed probably in the early 1920s.  I believe there are recordings of Howard singing Good Morning Judge, and I have recorded Howard playing this song on 12-string. 

We 12-string players have a limited number of true 12-string songs.  As some of you know, most six string arrangements don't suit the 12-string.  This song:  Good Morning Judge or Crow Jane does since it was arranged for 12-string originally.

Harry Lewman
www.hlmusic.com

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »
Didn't Carl Martin do 'Good Mornin' Judge'?? As he and Howard Armstrong were close associates, maybe both of them had it in their repertoires?

HarryL

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2006, 02:54:35 PM »
Yes, Carl Martin.  that is who I was trying to think of.  He was Howard's guitar player for years.

Howard told me that Carl and he both learned Good Morning Judge and its associated guitar licks from Joe Evans.

Harry

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2006, 03:04:39 PM »
That is a great song to cover on 12 string. Thanks Harry. And good to see you on Weenie Campbell again. LTNS. I've been looking to increase my meagre 12 string repertoire and this would be an excellent addition.

Come back more often, Harry.

All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 03:08:08 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2006, 03:55:11 PM »
I learned that a musician from Knoxville, TN,  Joe Evans was a 12-string player.

I wonder if this is the Joe Evans from "The Two Poor Boys" - Joe Evans & Arthur McClain?  They do a tune called "My Baby's Got A Yo-Yo" that's essentially the same guitar accompaniment as Carl Martin's "Good Morning Judge" and "Crow Jane."  It sounds like the guitar used on "My Baby's Got A Yo-Yo" might be a 12 or 9 string guitar.

It sounds to me like the guitar player on Billy Bird's "Mill Man Blues" is very likely the same guitarist on the Two Poor Boys' "My Baby's Got A Yo-Yo," although "Mill Man Blues" is clearly played on a six-string.  The Two Poor Boys also do Mill Man Blues, but with a very different accompaniment.

HarryL

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 09:13:10 AM »
When I googled Joe Evans, that is the only thing I saw that made sense:  The Two Poor Boys. 

Thanks for the info.

Harry

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2006, 07:52:34 AM »
Speaking of Crow Jane, Rev. Gary Davis plays an instrumental version on 12-string on the From Blues to Gospel record. A few of the bass runs sound informed by the Carl Martin version.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2007, 07:01:04 AM »
Charlie "Dad" Nelson, who recorded eight songs in three sessions for Paramount in 1926 and 1927, sounds like he's playing a 12-string.  As is so often the case, absolutely nothing is know about him.  Chris White, in his notes to Document 5277, Rare Paramount Blues, speculates that he may have had a connection with Cleveland, based on the song titles "Cleveland Stomp" and "Scoville Ave. Blues".  But then he also recorded "Red River Blues", "Mississippi Strut", and "Michigan Shoe Blues", so perhaps he just was, as his last recorded song title has it, a "Travelling Daddy".   

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2007, 10:12:44 AM »
Robert Lockwood Jr.

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2007, 10:13:46 AM »
There's a photo I've seen somewhere of Jim Jackson with a 12-string.

Really?? That would be interesting to see, do you recall where you might have seen it?

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2007, 10:17:49 AM »
Is this it?

I can't tell.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2007, 03:32:42 AM »
Yep.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2007, 02:39:42 PM »
Hi all,
I don't know if he was from Georgia or not, he may have been, and he played in Spanish on all of his recorded numbers with a left-hand similar to that of Charley Lincoln, but William Smith, of William and Versey Smith sounds like he was playing a 12-string guitar.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2008, 12:37:27 PM »
Isn't Alabama's Ed Bell playing a 12 on Frisco Whistle Blues? Apologies if it's been mentioned before, I couldn't see it in the topic.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 12:38:53 PM by Rivers »

Offline zoner

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2008, 04:43:35 PM »
If folk revival players are to be included, how about Fred Gerlach (who probably did the best Leadbelly covers ever)....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal