collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now your pistol's been fixed so it only shoots blanks; and when the third beer goes down, there's no room in the tank. You've got the forty year blues - Frontpage, Forty Year Blues (a commemoration of certain mortality)

Author Topic: John Miller Website  (Read 79235 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: "Let Me Lay Down In Your Cool Iron Bed"--Song of the Month lesson for 8/19
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2019, 06:34:59 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that Fred McDowell's "Let Me Lay Down In Your Cool Iron Bed" is the Song of the Month lesson for August, 2019 at www.johnmillerguitar.com .  For the month of August, 2019 only, a lesson teaching Fred McDowell's intro, verse one and two accompaniments and solo costs $35.00.  To hear the song, go to the post immediately prior to this one in this thread.  For more information, or to order the lesson, go to the Teaching section at my website.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Roosevelt Holts' "She Put Me Outdoors", Song of the Month lesson, 9/19
« Reply #166 on: September 01, 2019, 09:49:38 AM »
Hi all,
Happy Labor Day!  I wanted to let you know about the Song of the Month lesson for September, 2019 at my website: Roosevelt Holts' "She Put Me Outdoors".  Roosevelt Holts was a Mississippian who was recorded for the first time in the 1960s, and he was an expert and versatile musician.  I've attached an .mp3 of the song, because it is not available on youtube.  It is a terrific, driving blues in A position in standard tuning, and the lesson transcription includes his intro, verse one and two accompaniments and the coda.  I believe the song to be one of the very strongest blues in A ever to come out of Mississippi.
For the month of September, 2019 only, I am offering a lesson on "She Put Me Outdoors", for $35.00, for which you'll receive the TAB transcription, sent as a .pdf, and very thorough talk-throughs of each section of the transcription, sent as .mp3s.  Lyrics for the song will be provided, too. Hard copy versions of the lesson are available to U. S. residents only, for $43.00, with the additional cost paying for Priority Mail, a CD, the copy of the transcription and a padded mailing envelope.  To order the lesson, go to www.johnmillerguitar.com, and follow the instructions for making lesson payment presented in the "Teaching" section there.  Thanks for your time, and I hope you'll be interested in learning this very strong piece .

INTRO

Well, she put me outdoor, baby, through the sleet and snow
Yes, put me outdoor, through the sleet and snow
Well, I was stone barefooted, I didn't have nowhere to go

Well, I got one in the 'bama, two out on that hill
Well, got one in the 'bama, I got two out on that hill
Says, they ain't never sweet, like that little old [?]

Cryin', Lord have mercy, baby, on my bad luck soul
Cryin', Lord have mercy, baby, on my bad luck soul
Says, the Good Book teach you, gonna reap just what you sow

Well, I'm goin' up the country, baby, don't you want to go?
Lord, I'm goin' up the country, baby, don't you want to go?
Well, I'm goin' to a place, never been before

Well, she put me outdoors, Lord, I didn't have nowhere to go
Well, she put me outdoors, I didn't have nowhere to go
Well, I was poor and lonely, running' from door to door

All best,
John
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 10:27:59 AM by Johnm »

Offline Suzy T

• Howdy!
Re: John Miller Website
« Reply #167 on: September 01, 2019, 04:15:39 PM »
Wow, what a great piece!!  Thank you John.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: John Miller Website
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2019, 09:19:34 PM »
I'm glad you like it, Suzy!  That's a ripping piece, isn't it?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Roosevelt Holts' "She Put Me Outdoors", Song of the Month lesson, 9/19
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2019, 10:34:00 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for September is Roosevelt Holts' "She Put Me Outdoors", a terrific Mississippi blues played out of A position in standard tuning that you can download and listen to at the post three prior to this one in this thread.  For $35.00, you get a transcription which has Roosevelt Holts' intro, verse one, two and four accompaniments and coda, along with very thorough talk-throughs of each section of the song.  To order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section, and follow the instructions there.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Mance Lipscomb's "One Thin Dime"--Song of the Month lesson for 10/19
« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson for October, 2019 at my website is Mance Lipscomb's "One Thin Dime", a hard-driving 16-bar blues that Mance played out of E position in standard tuning.  As was usually the case with Mance, the song abounds with interesting ideas, licks and ways of getting around on the guitar.  The TAB transcription that accompanies the lesson includes Mance's verse one and two accompaniments and the solo that concludes his rendition.  Here is Mance's performance of "One Thin Dime":

Walked all the way from, East St. Louis
Didn't have but the one thin dime

'Fore I would spend it for, my own use
Saved it for the girl of mine

When I was sick, couldn't hardly creep
I was sick and couldn't hardly creep
Sick and could not hardly creep
You'd pass by me, wouldn't hardly speak

Tell me, baby, tell me now
Where you been so long?
Where you been so long?
Where you been so long?

All I've got is done gone
All I've got is gone
All I got is gone
Something keep a-tellin' you I won't be here long

Standin' on Decatur Street one day
One dime was all that I had
One dime was all I had
Did not have but the one thin dime

'Fore I would spend it for, my own use
Saved it for the lady friend of mine

Followed my baby, fur as I could go
Down to the jailhouse door

I stayed and I heard the papers read
And I heard the papers read
And I heard the papers read
Stayed and I heard what the judge gon' say

SOLO

For the month of October, 2019 only, the lesson is available for $35.00 (U.S. residents only can order a hard copy version of the lesson for $43.00).  You will receive the TAB transcription, very thorough talk-throughs of each section of the song and the song's lyrics transcribed.  To order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , and follow the instructions for ordering the lesson presented in the Teaching section of my website.  Thanks, and I hope you'll take this opportunity to learn Mance Lipscomb's great performance of "One Thin Dime".

All best,
John
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:27:21 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Mance Lipscomb's "One Thin Dime", Song of the Month lesson for 10/19
« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2019, 05:33:53 PM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for October, 2019 is Mance Lipscomb's "One Thin Dime".  During October, you can order a lesson which includes a TAB transcription and very thorough talk-throughs of Mance's verse one and two accompaniments and his concluding solo.  For more information or to order the lesson go to www.johnmillerguitar.com in the Teaching section.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Robert Belfour's "Pushin' My Luck", Song of the Month lesson for 11/19
« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2019, 06:37:58 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for November, 2019 is Robert Belfour's "Pushin' My Luck", the title track from his second Fat Possum CD.  It is an exciting piece in Spanish tuning (Open G) in the Mississippi Hill Country style.  I've transcribed Robert Belfour's intro and verse one accompaniment, and in that portion of the song (which runs to three pages), he comes up with an exciting variety of licks and mines Spanish tuning for all it's worth.  Here is "Pushin' My Luck":

INTRO

I'm pushin' my luck, seem like my luck want to change
I been pushin' my luck, seem like my luck want to change

I'm pushin' my luck, people, seem like my luck want to change
I said I'm pushin' my luck, people, seem like my luck want to change

I been pushin' my luck, seem like my luck want to change

Cost of the lesson, during the month of November only is $35.00, for which you'll receive a Tab transcription of the intro and verse and very thorough talk-throughs of them.  U. S. residents wanting a hard copy version of the lesson can purchase one for $43.00.  Instructions for making payment can be found at my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the "Teaching" section.  I hope you'll take advantage of this opportunity to learn from one of the strongest players in the Hill Country style.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:37:38 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: "Pushin' My Luck" by Robert Belfour, Song of the Month lesson for 11/19
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2019, 07:58:41 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a late mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson for November, 2019 at my website is Robert Belfour's "Pushin' My Luck", an intense piece in Spanish tuning.  Cost of the lesson during the month of November only is $35.00.  You can listen to the song and pick up the particulars of what is included in the lesson and how to order it in the post immediately prior to this one in this thread.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: "Trouble In Blues" by Bo Carter: Song of the Month lesson for 12/19
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2019, 08:26:26 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for December, 2019 is Bo Carter's "Trouble In Blues", a tough 8-bar blues in Bo's favorite DGDGBE tuning.  The transcription that accompanies the lesson includes Bo's intro, verse one and two accompaniments, his solo and the song's lengthy coda, and the lesson includes thorough talk-throughs of each section of the transcription as well.  Here is Bo's performance of "Trouble In Blues":

For the month of December, 2019 only, the lesson is available for $35.00.  Hard copy lessons are available to U. S. residents only for $43.00.  For more information and to find out about how to make payment for the lesson, go to:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .  Thanks, and I hope folks will take advantage of the opportunity to learn this terrific song from Bo Carter.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 02:20:20 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"Trouble In Blues" by Bo Carter, Song of the Month lesson for December, 2019
« Reply #175 on: December 15, 2019, 11:03:30 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website this month is Bo Carter's "Trouble In Blues", which you can listen to at the message immediately prior to this one in this thread, which also supplies information of the lesson and how to order it.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"Fare Thee Well Blues" by Joe Callicott, SotM lesson for January, 2020
« Reply #176 on: January 02, 2020, 01:18:33 PM »
Hi all,
Happy New Year!  I hope you had a safe and enjoyable holiday season.  I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson I have selected for January, 2020 is Joe Callicott's 1930 recording of "Fare Thee Well Blues", a driving performance that he played out of D position in standard tuning.  Joe was to re-record the song for George Mitchell in the 1960s in an excellent, but much simpler version.  Here is Joe's 1930 recording:

The lesson is available this month only for $35.00, and includes a transcription with Joe's intro, verse one and two accompaniments and solo, and very thorough talk-throughs of each section of the transcription.  For more information or to order the lesson, go to my website at: www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.  I hope you'll want to learn this one--it's one of only two solo titles that Joe recorded prior to the '60s.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"Bad Feeling Blues" by Blind Blake, SotM lesson for February, 2020
« Reply #177 on: February 01, 2020, 06:02:44 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson for February, 2020 will be on Blind Blake's "Bad Feeling Blues", a beautifully elegant piece that he played out of Dropped-D tuning.  Here is Blind Blake's performance of the song:

The transcription that accompanies the lesson includes Blake's intro, and verse one, two and five accompaniments (he did not take any solos on the song).  I think the song delivers some real insights on how to get around in dropped-D and access some ideas you might not previously played in that tuning.

During the month of February only, the lesson will be available for $35.00, and will include thorough talk-throughs of each section of the transcription, in addition to the transcription itself.  For more information on how to place an order, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section, and directions are presented there.  I hope folks will take advantage of this opportunity to learn one of the most striking pieces recorded in Dropped-D tuning.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: "Bad Feeling Blues" by Blind Blake, Song of the Month Lesson, 2/20
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2020, 09:34:40 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a late mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for February is Blind Blake's
"Bad Feeling Blues", which you can listen to at the post previous to this one in this thread.  Price of the lesson during February is $35.00, for which you get a TAB transcription of Blake's intro and three verse accompaniments and very thorough talk-throughs.  To place an order, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section, for instructions.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Edward Thompson's "Seven Sisters Blues": Song of the Month lesson, 3/20
« Reply #179 on: March 03, 2020, 08:57:07 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for March, 2020 is Edward Thompson's "Seven Sisters Blues", and exciting and varied piece played out of A position in standard tuning.  Here is "Seven Sisters Blues":

Despite only recording six titles, Edward Thompson showed a great deal of variety and individuality in his playing.  The TAB transcription that accompanies the lesson includes his intro, verse one and two accompaniments and solo.  In addition to receiving the transcription when you order the lesson, you'll also receive thorough talk-throughs of each section of the song describing left hand positioning, picking, etc.
For the month of March, 2020 only, the lesson is available for $35.00 U. S.  U. S. residents only can also order a hard copy version of the lesson for $42.00.  To place an order, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section and follow the instructions there.  I hope folks will take advantage of the opportunity to learn an innovative piece by an unjustly obscure musician.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: John Miller 2017 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal