collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The wig goes on. With you or without you - Metropolitan Opera boss Joseph Volpe sets a soprano straight.

Author Topic: Any validity to Lois Gibson's 4th RJ photo?  (Read 3618 times)

Offline jonocymru

• Got a notion to take a walk out west...
    • http://www.therumblestrutters.com/
Re: Any validity to Lois Gibson's 4th RJ photo?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 03:01:15 PM »
Hi jonocymru -

Not at all. If people want to actually discuss his music, great. The photo discussions generate less enthusiasm I'd say, not because another photo wouldn't be interesting, but because the ones that are offered up are dubious, and seem more about people cashing in on the legend.

Great, Well, my interest lies in his music. Thats cool. It is sad how people cash in on him.

Offline kaizen

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 11:30:50 AM »
Hi jonocymru -

Not at all. If people want to actually discuss his music, great. The photo discussions generate less enthusiasm I'd say, not because another photo wouldn't be interesting, but because the ones that are offered up are dubious, and seem more about people cashing in on the legend.

Great, Well, my interest lies in his music. Thats cool. It is sad how people cash in on him.

This was mostly the reason for the self-mockery at the beginning of my initial post.  For a while, it seemed like all anyone had to do was appear in an old photo with a guitar (or maybe some liquor) and they became a solid candidate for Robert Johnsonhood.  I think that probably gets tiresome to those who have been involved in countless discussions on the subject.

Like you, I am interested in any new info on RJ, just as I would be if there was some new insight on, say, Skip James, Barbecue Bob, or (improbably) Henry Sloan.

Offline StoogeKebab

• Howdy!
    • LAW Records
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 05:25:32 AM »
I don't know whether there's much point in trying to discuss the original photo farther but if there's one thing I'll point out, my 2 cents says that those interviews with childhood friends + Honeyboy Edwards and Willie Mae Powell mentioning his smaller eye, the man in the last photo appears to have two evenly sized eyes. But if someone wants to call a forensic investigation into it go right ahead.
Confident that I'm probably almost definitely the youngest record label owner in my street

Live Acoustic Wollongong - LAW Records

https://www.facebook.com/law.nkjc/

https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/james-r-cooper/id992309035

Offline hardtimekillingfloor

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 08:28:40 AM »
"Is Johnson basically a swear word on here then?"
No, as long as you play by pre-established rules from forums done years ago that you don't know about.  Just make sure that you have several works sited, a videotaped blood oath, and confirmation from an established member of the blues mafia.  Then you can say what you want.

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 08:56:42 AM »
" seem more about people cashing in on the legend"

No one has cashed in on the legend more than those who have already cashed in on the legend and continue to cash in on the legend.  RJ is an industry with in an industry.  No one can harmlessly come up with new info anymore without people jumping to conclusions.  Notice that Randy Meadows and some of the other "new" enthusiast researchers have stopped posting.  Its not cause new info isn't being unearthed.  Believe me there is blues research happening but the response from a very vocal few can be deafening.  Talk about RJ and other possible new info of other artists at your own risk.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 10:54:35 AM »
These Robert Johnson photo discussions could be totally futile. In the recent NY Times article Mack McMormick points out that he isn't even sure that the pictures we have of Robert Johnson are of "the guy who made the records". Even the photo locked away in a safe house in Mexico. The photo he showed to Peter Guralnick wich probably never will be published.

Offline hardtimekillingfloor

• Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 10:28:44 AM »
Mack McMormick points out that he isn't even sure that the pictures we have of Robert Johnson are of "the guy who made the records

Not putting any stock into that without proof.  Mack is really bitter these days in regards to RJ.  He is bitter about lots of things lately.  Hell his crazy ass might have said that just hoping to devalue the Steve LeVere/Johnson empire just a little bit.

Offline One-Eyed Ross

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »
I'll wait for the peer review...
SSG, USA, Ret

She looked like a horse eating an apple through a wire fence.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 09:32:10 AM »
There has to be a joke about reincarnating a dead horse in there somewhere.

Online banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »
I'll wait for the peer review...
If you look at the end of that document, you'll see that it already has had a pretty extensive one...

Offline wreid75

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 08:53:35 AM »
Is johnson basically a swear word on here then?

Yes and no, it depends on how seriously we are taking ourselves. 
The name Weenie Campbell is also a reminder that, no matter how much of an enthusiast one might be, it is difficult to adopt an overly serious attitude if you call yourself a Weenie.
  This is usually the rule but for some reason RJ can get peoples granny panties in a bunch so tread lightly lad.

Offline One-Eyed Ross

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2015, 10:19:46 PM »

If you look at the end of that document, you'll see that it already has had a pretty extensive one...

I took those to be co-authors, the way they were listed.  I was speaking about it being a published paper in a peer journal, and then reviewed....

I do believe the paper, mind you, the way it was presented, but I'm not a forensic photo guy.  My science back ground is mostly clinical chemistry/toxicology....but I am a firm believer in peer review.
SSG, USA, Ret

She looked like a horse eating an apple through a wire fence.

Online banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 12:19:34 AM »
In this particular case, just as a matter of interest, it was written and then circulated via the Facebook group The Real Blues Forum for review. Some people offered suggestions and then offered their names as "endorsement," so to speak.

It would be interesting for a forensic photo expert, a disinterested one, to take a look at the issue.

Offline StoogeKebab

• Howdy!
    • LAW Records
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 03:54:58 AM »
It would be interesting for a forensic photo expert, a disinterested one, to take a look at the issue.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here, motivation can do a lot, I would suggest a step of disconnection would be of benefit.
Confident that I'm probably almost definitely the youngest record label owner in my street

Live Acoustic Wollongong - LAW Records

https://www.facebook.com/law.nkjc/

https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/james-r-cooper/id992309035

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal