collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Ain't nothing hurting me but my back and side. Ain't nothing worrying me but my wife and child - Billy Boy Arnold, Prisoner's Plea

Author Topic: News of the cricketing world  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
Re: News of the cricketing world
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2015, 04:55:36 PM »
Yeah, there are pretty active West Indian cricket leagues in the New York area, but the problem with the sport is the aforementioned time commitment. Most of the guys who would be playing in those leagues, if there were more teams and more matches, work for a living. In the '80s and '90s, before the advent of so much electronic communication, many of the immigrant West Indians I knew were messengers, photocopier operators, typists, proofreader, telephone operators such in law and accounting firms, brokerage and investment houses, insurance companies and the like. They just didn't have the kind of time serious cricket requires. And now many of the children of those people, to the extent they haven't been beat down by the depression, have more education and more demanding jobs, so they have less time, and of course they're more assimilated, so many play the city game.

Indeed, I'll have to ask him tomorrow if I remember, but I have a business partner whose parents were Jamaican immigrants. In the ten years I've known him he's never mentioned cricket, but he's a big basketball fan and still plays some at age 58.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 12:01:38 AM »
My great-uncle finally hung up his cricket bat at the age of 85, quit bowling at 90, and finally stopped driving at 95. Never gave up the weekly golf game though!
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2019, 01:56:02 AM »
More cricketing eye witness stories.

This one concerns the current president of Pakistan, Mr. Imran Khan. The scene is Eden Park stadium, Auckland NZ, 1992. Pakistan vs. NZ in the world cup series of one day matches. NZ, including home town heroes Geoff and Martin Crowe, are up against the Pakistan scarily fast bowling of the great Wasim Akram and equally awesome Waqir Younis. Man those guys could bowl. Martin Crowe, after a shaky start, manages to steady the ship and build up some runs. Younis and Akram are getting tired so captain Imran Khan rotates himself into the bowling attack.

As it becomes clear that Imran is gonna bowl a chant starts up from the stands. "Imran is a wanker! Imran is a wanker!..." Khan takes the ball, moves to the start of his run up, looks up, and gives the stands an appropriate gesture in 360 degrees!

He receives a huge round of laughter and applause from the entire stadium as he flashes a smile and starts his run up.

Pakistan won that match but it was really close. Looking back on it I realize that Imran deserves his status as a world leader.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:00:54 AM by Rivers »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal