collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I think I saw some old man and he was real good on the guitar, on the chords, and he didn't sing that good, just play something like that, and I copied some of that and put the words to it. And Blind Blake used to have something kinda in that style. He would play in that style and I thought he was a real good guitar player. Nice chords. Played finger style. - Jesse Babyface Thomas explains how he wrote Blue Goose Blues, interview in Shreveport, La., ca. 1989

Author Topic: The Guitar Of Blind Willie Johnson - Lesson  (Read 6816 times)

Offline -

The Guitar Of Blind Willie Johnson - Lesson
« on: September 13, 2011, 06:28:25 AM »
Now Available from Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop.  www.guitarvideos.com

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:39:12 AM by tomfeldmann »

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: The Guitar Of Blind Willie Johnson - Lesson
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:09:02 AM »
Great, are all the songs with a slide?

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:39:43 AM »
Going from the titles on the video, I'd guess yes.
Chris

Offline -

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 01:34:38 PM »
Hi Harry.

Yes.   The lesson covers 8 of his slide tunes.

1. Bye And Bye I'm Goin' To See The King
2. You're Gonna Need Somebody On Your Bond
3. Dark Was The Night Cold Was The Ground
4. God Don't Never Change
5. Lord I Just Cant Keep From Crying
6. Keep Your Lamp Trimmed And Burning
7. I Know His Blood Can Make Me Whole
8. Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed

All the best,
-Tom Feldmann

Offline cc132

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »
This is exciting.  VERY exciting.  I can't watch the video right now, but I will as soon as I get home.

BWJ is one of the players whose style I don't even know where to start with.

Offline Michael Segui

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 08:25:56 PM »
This is on my Christmas list.
I have been waiting for this video since 1992!!!

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 08:39:01 AM »
I've always liked BWJ stuff, so like others here it seems a great thing to rush out and buy.

However, I'm sorry to say boys and girls but what is NOT made clear when you try for a download is that this thing only works with the "Brainplayer" software which, by the way I seem to be unable to download anyway. Even to buy, just navigating the various categories\titles available let alone the address section of the purchase page is a feat of endurance in itself.

The download is a motley collection of mov files (mov, oh yes all state of the ark stuff!) and does NOT produce a dvd as expected thus can only be viewed when on a pc with the software you can't download anyway.

If you were looking forward to stuffing it in the video player and watching on the TV, forget it.

Now all that said, then what the hell is on the DVD ??? Is the DVD content different to the download and so will it play in video player??? If it is it's rediculous  >:(

Tom, I realise that none of this is not your problem, but could please try and enlighten us  :)

Sorry, I'm generally a very forgiving and happy bunny, but this one has really, pissed me right off. Very disappointing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:40:37 AM by Richard »
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline -

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 11:09:33 AM »
Richard,

Below is the info I was given.  I've never used the software so I can't speak on it's function.  FAQ's and more at: http://leapingbrain.com/tech-support/

DVD and download content are the same.

-Tom Feldmann

For video playback, Stefan Grossman?s Guitar Workshop?s digital catalog originally used Quicktime. Quicktime, as used by the popular Apple iTunes software, sometimes doesn?t
 provide satisfactory video performance, so we later added an alternate player for when Quicktime will not work well on the user?s computer or is not installed. The alternate player has always had excellent playback performance, but we?ve never been completely satisfied with the overall integration and user experience.

So now, we are excited to announce a brand-new media player for Stefan Grossman?s Guitar Workshop?s digital catalog! This player has the
 best playback performance of any player we?ve ever seen and will play perfectly smooth fullscreen video on many computers that have trouble playing other video (such as Netflix or iTunes).

The breakthrough feature, in our opinion, is the new player?s ability to slow down video without changing the pitch! This ability, along with the ability to loop a section of video, will enable you to go over sections of any lesson and practice
 along at your own pace until you have it down pat.

Here?s the BrainPlayer in action:
 sg player

To learn how to use these new features, and to review the easy keyboard shortcuts, visit the Help Center (button near the top right of the catalog screen).

To access these features, you?ll need to activate the new player, if you haven?t already, like this:

1) Click the "options" button in the top right area of the catalog
2) If you see an option to "use alternate player," select this option.  If not, then you currently have the new player selected as your default player.

Here is a quick keyboard shortcut guide for the new BrainPlayer:

Looping:
i   set In point (start of loop)
o   set Out point (end of loop)
l (lower case ?L?)   toggle Loop on/off

Slow:
-   slow down video
+   speed up video
0 (zero)   play normal speed

Other:
spacebar   pause and start video
f   toggle fullscreen
h or home key   close the player

Please note that to access your tab or sheet music PDFs, for the time being, you?ll need to open your Documents folder on your computer and locate and double-click the PDF until we get that button added back in.

If you have any questions or problems, please visit the Help Center, and if you don?t get an instant answer, fill out the contact form and you?ll get a fast reply during business hours, and sometimes, nights, holidays and weekends!

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 01:08:40 PM by tomfeldmann »

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 01:43:51 PM »
Tom, thank you for that. I fully appreciate that you are the artist who has, from what I have seen turned out a really professional lesson and that you have no control over the way it's been marketed.

My point is that the concept of being tied to a specific computer screen to watch\hold guitar\learn is not my idea of fun - OK for ten minutes, but not for a DVDs worth, that should have been made crystal clear on the web site which it is not.

Sorry to be a mouldy old sodt, but I was expecting to have a DVD I could watch on any machine, any time, any where and not be restricted to sitting in front of a computer.

r

Offline pkeane

• PeterKeane.com
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 01:45:26 PM »
Tom -

The sample video is terrific (I must pick up the DVD).  I'm especially impressed w/ your approach to the vocals.  Really captures BWJ's tight fast vibrato & timbre while not sounding at all forced or contrived.  Not to say the playing isn't top notch as well!

--Peter Keane

Offline -

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 01:50:20 PM »
Hi Richard,

I am told that the Leaping Brain APP will allow you to play the lessons on your tv, iPad or iPhone.

Again, never used it so can't explain how to do it.

-Tom Feldmann

Offline jopoke

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »
I purchased the DVD version of the lessons(excellent lessons BTW).  I think it was made clear that both the GuitarWorkShop and Homespun video downloads were tied to the LeapingBrain software program. 
After working with so many software vendors over the years, I didn't want to be dependent on a proprietary software package to view videos. 

If you want flexibility, stick to the dvds....

Thanks, Joe

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 03:24:09 PM »
Tom, thanks again. iPad or iPhone I don't have and for tv viewing it still means running it through a computer to hook up.

If you want flexibility, stick to the dvds....
  I think that's probably the only way to fly or put another way, it's whatever floats 'yer boat  :D

One final thing, Grace at Leapingbrain really is the most efficient and helpful "help person" I have found in a long time, plus she does understand the situation. 

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 09:40:05 AM »
Richard, you should able to buy a real DVD from their European office soon, or try Amazon.

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 12:36:07 PM »
I think you will find it's the same difference and still needs computer to play it.

Offline jopoke

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
Hey Richard,

I am able to watch the dvd through our PS3 on my TV. The dvd plays in an sort of dvd player.

Take it easy, Joe

Offline -

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 04:19:07 PM »
Richard,

If you think the DVD's only play on computers that's not true. Not sure where you'd get that idea from.  They function like any other DVD, play them on TV or computer.

-Tom Feldmann

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
Just normal dvd's, play no problem assuming you have the right zone player or a multi region job.

Offline plop72

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 01:04:49 AM »
Hi Richard,
you perhaps burned your downloaded *.mov Files to a DVD and tried to play it in your DVD Player. This indeed is destined to fail (sorry, not a native speaker).
If you want to watch your downloaded Files on a DVD Player you will have to recode the *.mov Files to *.vob - Files (there is several freeware Software which should do that job (for example:http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-Video-to-DVD-Converter.htm) if you install this programm dont forget to uncheck the installation of the toolbar).
Hope this helps.
All best
Carsten
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:55:29 AM by plop72 »

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 02:47:47 AM »
Well this seems to have got a thread going! Now I'm all for admitting my mistakes and it was "help" that told me the dvd is the same as the download, which needs the software to run it.

The download does not come as a download as we all know it, in that it is placed in a leapingbrain dir in the applications tree of the hidden Windows applications along with the player files. That in itself speaks volumes as the files are obviously not meant for user access, unlike an average download which would go to one of those appallingly titled Mydownloads type folders and be plainly meant to be accessed. 

The files are mainly .mov and they will convert (I've been down that road) to anything you fancy, using anything you fancy but will still not play as they are cunningly designed to be used only with the Brainplayer thing, in fact they will all display what looks like the same page of inverted writing, if you can be bothered to read it!

The question is this and can only be answered by somebody who actually owns the said DVD - if you just stuff it into an average dvd player connected to an average TV will it work like any other DVD? No pc, PS3 or anything esle just a straight DVD player and TV.  One of SG's selling points is that by jus usting this download\computer method is it saves the planet from being burdened with dead DVD's - so if it works just like a standard DVD then how does his argument work!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 04:58:10 AM »
It's an alternative, not a replacement, to the regular DVD. As far as I know, all the DVDs will play in regular DVD players (setting aside standard zone issues). To do otherwise would be a nutty business model.

It's understandable that the software would not allow for straight burning to DVD, since we could all easily open our own pirate guitar workshops, post to YouTube etc.

Offline -

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 06:03:16 AM »
Hi Richard,

DVD's play in a standard DVD player.

Download is alternative to DVD's.  Just like MP3's are alternatives to CD's.  Although in this case the quality is not affected.

You can choose where you'd like to save the leaping brain files/lessons so they are not hidden. That's a default setting, you click options (upper right) and "Choose preferred media storage folder".

Hope that clears this up.

-Tom Feldmann
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:14:42 PM by tomfeldmann »

Offline unezrider

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 05:58:12 PM »
hey richard,
yep, it works in any old cheap dvd player. i've also watched part of it in my imac through the quicktime player, & played just fine as well. (it's really good, by the way)
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 07:17:39 AM »
Not that this is proposed as any kind of solution for Richard's specific problem, but it occurs to me: Could one stream to the TV from the computer using an AppleTV gizmo? Just out of curiosity.

Offline jopoke

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 08:16:57 AM »
Uncle Bud -  I am picking up an apple TV in the next week or so and will let you know if it works.

Thanks, joe

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 09:06:14 AM »
Thanks for all the input and I'm really trying not be obtuse!

So it's confirmed that the DVD will paly in any old video player and does not need a computer ?

Now this is the bit I don't get, particularly as I'm told the download is the same as the dvd - does that just refer to the content, but that the method of watching is restricted to playing only on the computer? In other words there are two mediums to view, a regular DVD or a computer based version?  Has anybody else done the download bit?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 09:09:28 AM »
Hi Richard,
You've put your finger on it--they are the same with regard to content only.  The download works best for people who are satisfied having the visuals on their computers only.  For people who would prefer to be able to view the lesson on a larger screen, ordering the DVD itself is the way to go.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 09:24:21 AM »
John than you  that's all I wanted to know :)

Why the %&*#$o#ing website can't make that crystal clear is beyond me !!! 

Arrrggghhh etc etc etc  it just seems such an illogical way to market the thing  :(

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »
Hi Richard:

In the "Adding Insult to Injury Dept.," I just did an experiment. I have a PC running XP Pro, with Windows Media Player. First, I made a new folder on one of my internal hard drives, and renamed it, "Jackson Blues Guitar." Next, I put John's "Jackson Blues Guitar" in my DVD drive. I went to the "My Computer" window and right clicked on the DVD drive with "Jackson Blues Guitar," chose "Explore," selected all of the files on the DVD and copied them to the "Jackson Blues Guitar" folder on my hard disk drive. After the files had copied over, I removed the DVD from the drive. I then opened Windows Media Player, clicked on "File" --> "Open" and when the window came up I navigated to the ""Jackson Blues Guitar" folder and opened it. Then down at the bottom where it says, "Files of Type:" I selected "Any File (*.*)". I then opened the "VIDEO_TS" folder, and the contents of the folder were displayed. I then clicked on the "VIDEO_TS" file and the video began to play. After the intro, the "Main Menu" was displayed. I then clicked on "The Show," and "Jackson Blues Guitar Taught by John Miller" began. The right hand side menu on WMP displays the title and chapters, including the Bonus Audio Tracks.

I don't have Tom's recent DVDs, but if the format and copy protection of the SGGW DVDs hasn't changed, you should be able to copy and view the DVDs on your computer as well as watch them on your TV via  a DVD player. Obviously, the downloaded versions do have their limitations, for reasons that go without saying.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:11:25 PM by Stuart »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »
Uncle Bud -  I am picking up an apple TV in the next week or so and will let you know if it works.

Thanks, joe

Thanks Joe. I'm curious how flexible the apple tv is.

Especially the new model:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:54:34 PM by uncle bud »

Offline jopoke

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 04:17:28 PM »
Good one Uncle Bud!

I am excited to try out the Apple tv.  We just upgraded our home entertainment system to the 21st century.  I want to play my iTunes via the new sound system and would also like to skype via the tv.  Need to get a new router when I get the apple tv.  Lots to learn....

Thanks, Joe

Offline Steve Pajik

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 05:02:55 PM »
For what it's worth (admittedly, probably not much!), here's my $0.02.  :)

I've ordered several SG Workshop DVDs in the past (I love yours, Mr. Miller!) but have since become a convert to the downloaded LeapBrain versions. Why? Well, I watch the DVDs on my laptop anyway, plus, I love being able to order the vids, download them, and then be watching 'em within a mere 5-10 minutes! I hate waiting weeks for DVDs to arrive!!!  >:(  Of course, I live in Canada, so that probably slows down delivery a wee bit.  :(

Having said all that, the quality is a little better on the DVDs; however, the LeapBrain versions are more than adequate (for me at least). Not as if I require guitar lessons in hi-def!  :P  In fact, I usually make an .avi file of all the DVD lessons I have, so that I can access them on my computer along with the LeapBrain ones.

Another bonus is that as long as I have an account with SG, I can download the lessons to any other computer of mine. So portability is there. That was the clincher for me: always having access to the lessons - even if my current computer bonks out on me ... which, if history is any indication, is inevitable!

Anyway, I'm a computer-y, laptop-y kinda guy, so this works for me.  :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 05:04:54 PM by Deaf Steever »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal