Country Blues > Weenie Campbell Main Forum

Bob Koester Obit

(1/2) > >>

lindy:
There's a *lot* of blues and jazz players that I discovered because of Delmark records.

This obit speaks to the power of the independently owned record stores of times past, where the owner could introduce you to something he thought you would like if he figured out your musical interests through 1-on-1 conversation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/15/arts/music/bob-koester-dead.html

L

Stuart:
Thank Heavens for Bob Koester. Rest In Peace, Bob. You made a difference.

Blues Vintage:
So many great records on Delmark. Big Joe Williams lived in his basement.
R.I.P.  Bob

Rivers:

--- Quote from: lindy on May 15, 2021, 02:55:46 PM ---This obit speaks to the power of the independently owned record stores of times past, where the owner could introduce you to something he thought you would like if he figured out your musical interests through 1-on-1 conversation.

--- End quote ---

Ain't that the truth. For example, Chris Strachwitz was sitting at the cash register at Down Home Music in El Cerrito when DabBro and me dropped in on our way back from Port Townsend one year. Slack had joined us on the way up there but as I recall he flew back to El Paso direct from Seattle. Anyway, we all had a heckuva good time. Rosie was there that year, how are you Rosie? But I digress.

Down Home Records of course had a ton of Arhoolie CDs I was looking for, including all the Robert Pete Williams prison recordings that Alvin Hart's lessons had turned me onto at the recent PT workshop. So I mentioned to Chris at the checkout that I was new to RPW's stuff and didn't really know which one of them I should get.

He immediately engaged with me on that whole topic, jumped up and found the CD I definitely needed to hear first. I added it to the pile, naturally!

RIP Bob Koester, I'll be spinning up Jr Wells' Hoodoo Man Blues tomorrow

jostber:
R.I.P. to this major blues promoter who released so much beautiful music and kept the blues alive. There's a lot to watch over at the Delmark site:

https://delmark.com/2021/05/celebrating-delmark-records-founder-bob-koesters-life-legacy/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version