collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A lot of excitement is generated by their approach, which is just to pile on top of each other, play as loud, hard, and strong as they can, and let the devil take the hindmost - John Miller on Little Buddy Doyle's Renewed Love Blues

Author Topic: Peter Warfield--"Morning Train Blues"  (Read 518 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Peter Warfield--"Morning Train Blues"
« on: May 10, 2021, 06:18:13 AM »
Hi all,
This performance, by Peter Warfield, playing "Morning Train Blues", was just posted to youtube today, and was in my feed. I know nothing about the performer, but it was recorded in Houston in 1947, and he apparently only recorded two titles. He's pitched in between G and Gb, but is probably playing in G. Whoever Peter Warfield is or was, this seems a spectacularly strong cut to me, with great singing, terrific heavy time and lots of interesting variations along the way. His long coda after the last verse is really something, too. Here is "Morning Train Blues":

INTRO

That train, that train, that train, that mornin' train ain't on time
That train, that train, that mornin' train ain't on time
Yes, she's due here at 7:50, she come rollin' here at 8:59

Says, if you're gon' ride that mornin' train, you'd better get your ticket in your hand
Says if you're gon' ride that mornin' train, you'd better get your ticket in your hand
Says now, when the train roll up to the station, run and give that porter man your grip

SOLO

Goodbye, little old girl, little old girl, now, that train is gon' take you on down the line
Goodbye, little old girl, little old girl, that train is gon' take you on down the line
Says now, when she land to the next station, tell that man to land you on that firm ground

CODA

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 06:36:07 AM by Johnm »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Peter Warfield--"Morning Train Blues"
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 11:47:13 AM »
What a great track. Superb singing and playing, and a very high quality recording. Always amazed and delighted to come across someone entirely new to me! Thanks for posting!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Peter Warfield--"Morning Train Blues"
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 12:58:39 PM »
I'm glad you like it, Prof! I feel the same way about finding someone new to me whose music is so strong--what a treat!
All best,
Johnm

Tags: Peter Warfield 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal