collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If you wanna go to Heaven around the great white throne, you'd better tend to your business and leave mine alone - Golden Gate Quartet, Every Time That I Feel The Spirit

Author Topic: Santa Cruz Jug Band Jubilee  (Read 2149 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Santa Cruz Jug Band Jubilee
« on: February 05, 2009, 07:38:41 AM »
Thought I would pass this along. I see at least one or two Weenies in there...

The California Jug Band Association is pleased to present the third annual Santa Cruz Jug Band Jubilee on March 1 at Don Quixote's (http://www.donquixotesmusic.info/) in Felton. Festivities start at 3 pm and will continue until 9 pm. The featured bands will showcase this traditional American music that has been adopted worldwide. String instruments, kazoos, jugs, and washboards all combine for a good time that will appeal to all members of the family.

Confirmed bands include:
? Five Cent Coffee - The describe themselves as "an eclectic trio dedicated to organic old fashioned sound; an amalgamation of a by-gone nation, mixed with the fresh scent of a smile or the wail of a lament" and feature jug band diva "Doodles La Rue."
? Axelrod, Cary, and Foss - A trio of musical virtuosos who play and sing in the authentic jug band style. Meredith Axelrod's singing will bring back memories of Memphis Minnie and Bessie Smith.
? The Club Zayante Jug Stompers - As the name implies, this band includes players from the days of Club Z, led by locals Dirty Butter Bob, Boogie Bruce and Dr. Mad. This year they will introduce a new diva, "Sultry Sylvia." They faithfully recreate the jug band and blues sounds of the 20's and 30's.
? Amazing Grapes - Another fabulous trio featuring well known Bay Area musicians Mike Billo, Bob Palasek, and Erich Sylvester. The Grapes love to play jug band, ragtime, "hillbilly hokum," and may even slip in some Hawaiian!

In addition, there will be surprise jug bands and other musical guests along with an open jam session. Plan to come early and stay late.

On the morning of the event (March 1), performers from the festival will be featured on the "Please Stand By" live radio show on KPIG FM (107.5 or on the Internet at KPIG.com). Please tune in and hear some of the samples of great jug band music on the PIG!

The California Jug Band Association is a California 501(c)3 non-profit educational organization dedicated to promoting jug band music. Please visit the CJBA Web site at http://www.jugfest.org.

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
Re: Santa Cruz Jug Band Jubilee
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 03:43:13 PM »

I'm one of the Amazing Grapes ("How sweet the sound") Jug Band. I'll be playing Harmonica, Jug and some Guitar.

I think this is going to be a good show. They've been pretty selective this year and are trying to present, what they believe, are the best of the, actively gigging, jug bands in Northern CA.

I hope to see some Weenies there and be able to say "Hi".

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 04:22:21 PM »
Sorry Mike, I'll be on the east coast tending to family affairs. Haven't heard you play in quite some time. Where can I find out about other Amazing Grapes gigs when I get back. MySpace? I got some NJ vintner when I searched.

Good to see so many bands playing "authentic" jug band music. I wonder what they mean by that?-G-

I saw Meredith Axlerod play with Devine's Jug Band at the Freight a couple weeks ago. (They advertise as the "most authentic" jug band, but I guess they didn't make the cut) I've watched her for some time, starting back when she and Craig V. got together as a duo and I would see them at the Atlas when I was living in the Mission. She has come a long way as a performer. Her voice has really developed strength (it always had that dance hall waver) and her flat picking tone has come on, too. Plus she has a rather zany stage persona. I hope to get a chance to see her in this line up soon, too.

All for now.
John  C.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:24:24 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 05:55:29 PM »
I don't live in San Ho no mo', so I cain't go.
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 10:42:32 AM »

Hi John; I agree about Meredith Axelrod really developing into quite a performer in a relatively short time. Their band is excellent.

I too, am perplexed about who's the arbiter of what constitutes an "authentic" jug band.
  I've heard a number of whimsical Swing/Novelty bands call themselves jugbands, but my feeling is that, if you have somebody playing the jug and the harmonica is a prominently featured instrument, then you meet the prerequisites to call yourselves a jugband.

Hey! It sounds like I've just appointed *myself* as "who's arbiter of what constitutes an authentic Jug Band"  ;D

The Amazing Grapes play on the third Thursday of every month at the Panama Cafe in Livermore and we're also very active on the Northen CA festival scene.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 10:52:07 AM »
Dang, I'm at the Bay View Boat Club in SF every third Thursday. Well, hopefully you'll post up here if you play any festivals.

Well, I first saw Meredith about 5-6 years ago, so, not meteoric, but always nice to see folks keep at it and come along.

Have a good show.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

petedevine

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:51:16 PM »
Sorry Mike, I'll be on the east coast tending to family affairs. Haven't heard you play in quite some time. Where can I find out about other Amazing Grapes gigs when I get back. MySpace? I got some NJ vintner when I searched.

Good to see so many bands playing "authentic" jug band music. I wonder what they mean by that?-G-

I saw Meredith Axlerod play with Devine's Jug Band at the Freight a couple weeks ago. (They advertise as the "most authentic" jug band, but I guess they didn't make the cut) I've watched her for some time, starting back when she and Craig V. got together as a duo and I would see them at the Atlas when I was living in the Mission. She has come a long way as a performer. Her voice has really developed strength (it always had that dance hall waver) and her flat picking tone has come on, too. Plus she has a rather zany stage persona. I hope to get a chance to see her in this line up soon, too.

All for now.
John  C.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 02:31:18 PM »
I wasn't sure what Pete's point was in quoting my post, buy having communicated with him, I just want to point out that what I meant to imply was that I didn't understand why Devine's Jug Band wasn't playing in Santa Cruz if they had the best of the actively gigging jug bands in the Bay Area, as Mike had posted. Hope that clears up any misconceptions anyone may have had. I don't think my prose is ever very clear and this twisted construction is particularly murky.

Now that that's cleared up, welcome to Weenie Campbell, Pete. I think you'll find some good jug band discussions here and I know you could make some contributions.

All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 02:32:43 PM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal