collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Define swing? I'd rather tackle Einstein's theory - Cootie Williams, trumpet, Ellington Orchestra

Author Topic: Spencer Moore's debut - the world needs more CDs like this.  (Read 772 times)

Offline cc132

Spencer Moore's debut - the world needs more CDs like this.
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:34:47 PM »
I got Spencer Moore's album in the mail today.  I don't know much about him, so I won't pretend to -- instead, here is a crop from the Tompkins Square Records site:

88 year old country singer Spencer Moore played a tent show with the Carter Family in the 30's, and was recorded in 1959 by Alan Lomax, who called him "as genuine as a rail fence." This is his debut album.

It's great.  I mean really, really great.  There are some old standards ("May I Sleep In Your Barn Tonight, Mister?," "Wildwood Flower," etc), and a few original tunes on it, but not a single track that I haven't liked.

I'll be honest - the guitar playing isn't perfect.  His vocals are strained with age.  His phrases is...well, creative.  But the overall package is so good (is "authentic" still a dirty word here?) that these things don't bother me.  

I won't wax poetic much more, except to say that anyone who enjoy early American music would probably appreciate this album as much as I have.  I hope the guys at Tompkins Square keep digging and find more treasures like this one.  You can hear a sample song on the site here: http://www.tompkinssquare.com/spencer_moore.html

(This is an album review, but it's not country blues, so I stuck it here.  Mods, please feel free to move it if it would be more appropriate in "Album Reviews.")

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:37:42 PM by cc132 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal