collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It is a peculiar and individual type of music that goes back for generations - Mamie Smith, to a Chicago Defender reporter 1921

Author Topic: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips  (Read 254961 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips
« Reply #1260 on: April 15, 2015, 08:40:36 PM »
Sliding Delta? Great to watch, love it when the kid hands him his hat.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1261 on: April 16, 2015, 07:53:13 AM »

After seeing the footage I realized I've never seen John Hurt without his hat.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #1262 on: April 16, 2015, 07:56:34 AM »

Candyman, baby!

I love watching the little girl playing air guitar on the chair...  that's what I would do!!!

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1263 on: April 16, 2015, 08:07:21 AM »

Who are the bluesmen in the photo? Bill Gaither on the right standing for sure.
Tampa Red in the middle standing? Possibly Jack Dupree sitting on the left?

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #1264 on: April 16, 2015, 08:21:43 AM »
Who are the bluesmen in the photo? Bill Gaither on the right standing for sure.
Tampa Red in the middle standing? Possibly Jack Dupree sitting on the left?
Photo come from Big Bill Blues (Cassell 1955)

L to R Jazz Gillum, Bill Gaither, (Sitting) Jack Dupree, Broonzy. Dog belonged to Tampa which "drank whisky just like we did and helped us sing"

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #1265 on: April 16, 2015, 09:05:57 AM »
Dog belonged to Tampa which "drank whisky just like we did and helped us sing"

Dogs and blues are a natural combination.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1266 on: April 16, 2015, 09:13:52 AM »
Dog belonged to Tampa which "drank whisky just like we did and helped us sing"

Dogs and blues are a natural combination.

Not sure what you mean Frank...

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #1267 on: April 16, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »
Certainly nothing to be taken seriously, Harry - just a bit of nonsense...  and I do love dogs... and blues..  and if blues were a person, blues would probably love dogs, too.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #1268 on: April 29, 2015, 07:57:03 AM »
It's interesting how much the voices of Gary Davis, Pearly Brown, and Willie Johnson sound alike. It must be from the street busking that they did for most of their performing careers.

pbl

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #1269 on: May 03, 2015, 07:10:17 PM »
It's interesting how much the voices of Gary Davis, Pearly Brown, and Willie Johnson sound alike. It must be from the street busking that they did for most of their performing careers.

I think the way they shaped their voices had more to do with the fact that they were singing preachers than any direct result of street singing. Lemon was a street singer, by all accounts, and sounded nothing like these three.  Preaching seems to have its own vocal aesthetic..  Al Young could probably speak to it with more intelligence and experience than I can, and there's some discussion of it in his book "Woke Me Up This Morning - Black Gospel Singers and the Gospel Life." 

Offline alyoung

« Reply #1270 on: May 06, 2015, 02:02:05 AM »
I think it entirely likely that street singing at least helped shape their voices. Davis, Brown and Johnson all sang in a lower register and used sheer power to blast through. That can have a long-term effect on the vocal cords. Lemon Jefferson was a high tenor, so his street technique was probably to cut through the street noise, rather than blast through it. But ... the suggestion of preaching being a factor is a good one. Preaching is very much a stylized delivery and when preachers are going into the "drive" (the full-out peroration that ends a sermon) they all use a very heavy voice, sometimes with exaggerated breathing, and speak in three or four-beat phrases. I have a recording of Gary Davis preaching and that's the voice he uses -- and it is his street singing voice. (He's not a great preacher, but his passion and sincerity are unmistakable; this is not a man who sings "holy blues"). When I was researching "Woke Me Up This Morning" (University Press of Mississippi; available thru Amazon -- buy two in case someone steals one) I was lucky in that I found three preachers willing to talk in detail about the mechanics of preaching a sermon. It was fascinating ... betcha didn't know preachers often get a note from the band to set their pitch, and the keys are different for the two main "straining preacher" denominations -- B flat or E flat for Baptists, F and G for Church of God in Christ. Buy the book and find out more....

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #1271 on: May 06, 2015, 04:53:01 AM »
betcha didn't know preachers often get a note from the band to set their pitch, and the keys are different for the two main "straining preacher" denominations -- B flat or E flat for Baptists, F and G for Church of God in Christ. Buy the book and find out more....

I did not know and I find that absolutely fascinating.  Thanks Al!

Now off to look for the book....

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #1272 on: May 10, 2015, 11:17:50 AM »
Perhaps not entirely relevant to weenie, u but in the first 2 minutes of this 1972 documentary "Chicago Blues," you get Johnnie Lewis singing Poor Boy in a decidedly country style... and at about 6 minutes in, you get a field holler sung by Willie Dixon...  how cool is THAT?

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #1273 on: May 10, 2015, 11:25:33 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the guy with the National is Blind Arvella Gray, but I wish I knew the name of the woman shown playing guitar at about 4:44...  wish we could hear her better, too.  Seems a shame she wasn't given a little air time.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #1274 on: May 25, 2015, 07:57:56 PM »
Georgia Sea Island Singers and Alan Lomax from 1962 TV show, Accent. Plus bonus ads for Polaroid and footage of Stravinsky conducting and Balanchine choreographing. You'll need to skip ahead to the one-minute mark to start. The "start at" feature doesn't seem to be working in our plug-in/youtube mod.

http://youtu.be/5neSitIO7zQ?t=1m17s
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:01:46 PM by uncle bud »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal