collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
And he told me... I didn't know nothing about how to play no guitar at all. He said "Hey, go home. Take my advice. You go home. You get that.. straight. You know what I'm talking about? Put that pick down. You think I'm scolding you? You a grown man, Hubert - listen to me!" I went home, man. I went to my basement. And I'm going to tell you something... I was thinking about what Wolf said. He said "Hey, put the pick down." I put the pick down, man. I put the pick down and started using... fingers, you know what I mean? - Hubert Sumlin, on how Howlin' Wolf introduced him to fingerpicking. From Moanin' At Midnight by James Segrest and Mark Hoffman

Author Topic: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips  (Read 255031 times)

Offline eric

Re: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips
« Reply #750 on: September 03, 2012, 04:19:45 PM »
The Skip and John piece is fascinating! 
--
Eric

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #751 on: September 03, 2012, 04:51:10 PM »
The Skip and John piece is fascinating!

I thought so too! The Robert Pete Williams concert was pretty darn good too!

Now off to bed!

Cheers

Pan

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #752 on: September 04, 2012, 01:17:53 AM »
Pan - it's easy to see how you are spending your time in Berlin! I'd be hard pressed to get through that lot.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #753 on: September 14, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »

For all of us who have looked at one short video on YouTube and then looked up and noticed that a whole hour has gone by, here's a statistic that I've seen in several places during the coverage of protests in the Middle East:

"YouTube is now so popular that 72 hours of new video is uploaded to the site each minute, making it impossible for the company, or anyone else, to review the content before it becomes available across the globe."

1 minute = 72 hours of new video content.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #754 on: September 23, 2012, 09:01:46 PM »

I was reading "Chasin' That Devil Music" and came across a name I hadn't heard before--Moses Mason. He recorded sermons under that name, and a couple of secular sides under the name Red Hot Old Man Moses. I see that his name has popped up a couple of times on Weenie, but to my knowledge, no one has posted this or any other vids of his songs. Let me know if that's not the case:

Actually, I'm really interested in hearing his song about tamales--if I understand the text correctly, the recording is of him hawking his hot tamales, accompanied by a guitar. But I did a very brief search and didn't come up with anything.

The cut is from an Austrian album called "Alabama Country Blues." However, this seems to be another one of those situations where Alabama covers everything between the Georgia and Texas borders--Mason apparently was from Lake Providence, Louisiana. Also, according to the youtube poster, all of his sides were recorded in Chicago in 1928. According to "Chasin'", it sounds like he was a discovery of H.C. Speir, who sent a demo up north with a recommendation to record him.

L

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #755 on: September 23, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »
Hi Lindy,
Look for "Molly Man", which is the phonetic mis-reading of the song title the record company came up with.
All best,
Johnm

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #756 on: September 24, 2012, 07:53:34 AM »

Thanks, John. Just as I was drifting off to sleep last night, the thought entered my head "American Primitive -- Pre-War Revenants," and sure enough, there it was on a disc I already own.

"2 for a nickle, 4 for a dime, 'male man!" . . . another thing I miss about not living in the Deep South anymore, hot tamales.

L

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #757 on: September 24, 2012, 08:33:23 AM »

another thing I miss about not living in the Deep South anymore, hot tamales.

Really?  I didn't care for them much, they reminded me too much of Wolf Brand Chili. Of course a real tamale to me is a red Mexican pork tamale or a green chili cheese tamale.   :D

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #758 on: September 24, 2012, 08:54:40 AM »
Really?  I didn't care for them much, they reminded me too much of Wolf Brand Chili. Of course a real tamale to me is a red Mexican pork tamale or a green chili cheese tamale.   :D

Was your experience with Deep South tamales in Acadiana? Cajuns do a lot of things right with food, but for tamales you're better off in Mississippi or New Orleans. Many times during the first two years I lived in NO, I walked the mile from my apartment to the Rock 'n Bowl, right past Manuel's Hot Tamales, a little take-out joint at street level beneath the owner's home on South Carrollton. Those tamales did their part to add 20 pounds to my frame while I was living down there. There were several places I found in Mississippi that sold tamales that were as good as Manuel's. Whether or not you like 'em, they're a whole lot different from the Mexican version.

I was told that Manuel's was one of the last hold-outs from a time when you could buy tamales most any night of the week from street vendors. Its street-level location was its downfall, Katrina washed away another mini-institution. As New Orleanians say about these things, "It ain't dere no more."

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #759 on: September 24, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »
Not Acadiana, but in the delta.  Here is where we ate:

http://www.doeseatplace.com/menu.html

Grease was every where  :P , food was very good, place was packed.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #760 on: September 24, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »

Broiled shrimp, garlic bread, and a ribeye at Doe's! Then go sit on the levee and watch the sun set over the Mississippi. Yes!!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #761 on: October 10, 2012, 05:53:01 PM »
A Sonny Boy Nelson (Eugene Powell) video shot by Alan Lomax in 1978:

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #762 on: October 10, 2012, 06:04:16 PM »
The Foddrell brothers!

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
« Reply #763 on: October 16, 2012, 11:05:21 AM »
fine bluesman

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #764 on: October 18, 2012, 09:05:39 PM »
Hi all,
I think I've listened to this about five times in the past two days--John Dee Holman (NOT Holeman) and Fris Holloway getting down on their own bad selves.  This is from Eleanor Ellis's "Blues Houseparty" film.  John Dee is so funky, and for those of you who may be wondering, he is every bit as fun to hang out with as this clip would make him appear to be--a great player and singer and just as great a person.  He should be famous.

All best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal