collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The electric guitar is a fraud; the sound rings because of the electricity, not because of the player - Mance Lipscomb, speaks his mind

Author Topic: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips  (Read 254969 times)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips
« Reply #360 on: September 18, 2010, 01:58:30 AM »
It works, John - on every level!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #361 on: September 18, 2010, 10:38:08 AM »
One of the things that kills me about RL is how he plays with such economy and relaxation as he creates an entire rhythm section that's just dripping with groove. Another thing is his voice.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #362 on: September 18, 2010, 11:33:22 AM »
One of the things that kills me about RL is how he plays with such economy and relaxation as he creates an entire rhythm section that's just dripping with groove. Another thing is his voice.

Two more examples, both of "Jumper on the Line," to confirm what you're saying . . .

My understanding is the RL was at the first Port Townsend workshop, anyone got memories to share?

Lindy

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #363 on: September 18, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »
Hi Lindy,
I was at PT that first year, and I'm sorry to say, as often seems to be the case the first year I'm at an event where I'm teaching with a great musician whom I've not met before (Robert Belfour was another), I pretty much missed out on R.L.  I recall him not having a lot to say, but being friendly none the less, and with that great smile.  The late Dave Conant, a fine Seattle Rock, Blues and R & B guitarist, hung out with him a lot, as I recall.  I remember RL doing a spectacular "Pony Blues" in his Saturday concert set.  He never returned after that first year there, more's the pity.
All best,
Johnm

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2010, 04:40:16 PM »
Hi all,
Here's an example of what goes on at Port Townsend (if you're lucky).  Robert Belfour doing his own version of "Black Mattie", sans singing, for a long time.  Look hard and you'll see Lindy.

All best,
Johnm

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #365 on: September 21, 2010, 10:19:01 AM »
Alvin Youngblood Hart, still having fun with Pony Blues.

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #366 on: September 22, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »
Hi Lindy,
I was at PT that first year, and I'm sorry to say, as often seems to be the case the first year I'm at an event where I'm teaching with a great musician whom I've not met before (Robert Belfour was another), I pretty much missed out on R.L.  I recall him not having a lot to say, but being friendly none the less, and with that great smile.  The late Dave Conant, a fine Seattle Rock, Blues and R & B guitarist, hung out with him a lot, as I recall.  I remember RL doing a spectacular "Pony Blues" in his Saturday concert set.  He never returned after that first year there, more's the pity.
All best,
Johnm

Hey John,
I took the class from RL that first year.  He seemed kind of a cipher to me.  Very shy, first class we kind of had to urge him to go ahead and show us something.  Dave helped with that, and to interpret/articulate what RL was doing.  I think that was Dave's role.  RL did warm up/loosen up as the week went on.  I did learn some cool one chord kind of groove things.  Only one that I halfway remember still.  I don't know if I have cassette tape of that stuff, I should check.  I do remember, outside of class, asking RL who he learned from, who his influences were.   The main one was Fred McDowell.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #367 on: September 24, 2010, 06:40:23 PM »

Churchy!

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #368 on: September 29, 2010, 03:05:43 PM »
Hi all,
I wish we had an actual performance video of this, but it is still pretty darn great.

All best,
Johnm

Offline sustaireblues

« Reply #369 on: September 30, 2010, 11:59:12 AM »
That is great John!
Some joyful music making there, put a smile on my face, made me wanta' be there!

Joe

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #370 on: September 30, 2010, 12:22:13 PM »
John, (or anybody who has the LP)
Is this a Harry Oster recording?
I ask because it's one of the best field recordings ever....the foot & guitar & voice, perfectly balanced and clean.
Bruce

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #371 on: September 30, 2010, 12:42:45 PM »
Hi Joe and Bruce,
I'm glad you enjoy "Memphis Mail".  It is a wonderful piece and performance, taken from 1970 recordings done by Parker Dinkins, whom I know nothing about.  The recordings from 1970 were originally issued on the Ahura Mazda label, then licensed to Fat Possum, where they are still currently available, I believe, as "From Lake Mary--Scott Dunbar" Fat Possum Records 80338-2.  It really is beautifully recorded, as you said, Bruce.  If you go to tags ad look under Scott Dunbar, there are some other threads, on one of which the tunings/positions for the album's songs are listed.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #372 on: September 30, 2010, 12:44:28 PM »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #373 on: October 01, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »
Poor guitar player, sounded like he wanted to cut loose on one and wasn't given a break in 5 minutes of play!  :P

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #374 on: October 01, 2010, 04:53:22 PM »
Yes, John D., and that was Otis Rush.  He could have smoked one if Roosevelt ever came up for air!
All best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal