collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Some screaming, some cursing... some have lost their minds - Sam Montgomery, Blue Devil Blues

Author Topic: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips  (Read 255028 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips
« Reply #1740 on: March 14, 2022, 04:35:55 PM »
Hi all,
This youtube posting of Wade Walton's Prestige-Bluesville album came up on my feed just a couple of minutes ago. It has almost his entire album, which never survived into a CD version. The album is really hard to find now, I think, and this is the first time I've had a chance to hear most of these tracks. I hope you enjoy it.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #1741 on: March 14, 2022, 05:06:04 PM »
Just wow. Roscoe Holcomb on Pete Seeger's TV show. This may have been posted before, but heck, even if so, it's worth repeating.

Fantastic!  A couple of observations.  Roscoe understands dynamics - his vocal dynamics are just amazing.  He's got a very fancy MOP guitar there -- I'd guess a Martin... not exactly your hillbilly guitar.  He can chew gum and perform at the same time.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #1742 on: March 14, 2022, 05:14:04 PM »
Hi all,
This youtube posting of Wade Walton's Prestige-Bluesville album came up on my feed just a couple of minutes ago. It has almost his entire album, which never survived into a CD version. The album is really hard to find now, I think, and this is the first time I've had a chance to hear most of these tracks. I hope you enjoy it.

All best,
Johnm

Johnm, I've been checking out various streaming services lately.  Youtube is known as the best streamer for obscure music - which makes sense why it's your source.  But what is your feed?  Maybe I've forgotten, but is there a specific channel for country blues on youtube?  Do you subscribe to youtube music?

Never heard of Wade Walton -- but love the Prestige-Bluesville stuff of course - I'll check it the remaining tracks for sure.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1743 on: March 14, 2022, 06:24:12 PM »
Hi Slack,
I haven't stipulated any specific interests at youtube, so they must have metrics that say you've searched for x, so you must like other things that are like x. This seems to be par for the course nowadays, whether we're talking about youtube, Amazon, Facebook, Pandora, you name it. I've just looked for and watched enough Country Blues stuff that they assume I'll be interested--and they're right! So my feed is just what happens to come up for me.

Re Roscoe, the guitar he's playing in that clip, I'm pretty sure, was John Cohen's OO-42 from the late '20s. John Cohen was the guy from the New Lost City Ramblers who discovered Roscoe and is the reason why anybody outside of his immediate neighborhood ever had an opportunity to see Roscoe and hear his music. I think he assisted Roscoe in getting to a lot of his concert and festival performances.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1744 on: March 15, 2022, 12:43:38 PM »
Hi all,
Here's one from John Lee Hooker, "Tupelo":

All best,
Johnm

Offline JRO

« Reply #1745 on: March 21, 2022, 05:42:45 AM »
Hi,

In the link there are concert recordings from Finnish Broadcasting Company archives made in 1960's and youngest ones in 1970. Some of them are form AFBF 1966 and 1967 tour. Also there is Muddy Waters concert 1970, Jo Ann Kelly's gig 1970, Fleetwood Mac 1969 and John Mayal's Bluesbrakers 1967. Most recordings were made in Cultural House in Helsinki and some of them were made in Ruisrock (Ryerock festival in Turku). I hope you enjoy them.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1746 on: March 24, 2022, 08:48:59 AM »
Hi all,
Here is Tom Paley performing Sam McGee's "Railroad Blues" from the old Folkways record "New Lost City Ramblers, Volume 3". I remember when I first heard this rendition at about the age of thirteen, I thought it was all three of the Ramblers playing guitar. What a ripping rendition this is--I prefer it to Sam McGee's playing of the song. Tom Paley was such a strong musician, and just as good on banjo as he was on guitar. Anyhow, here it is:

All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #1747 on: March 24, 2022, 03:04:58 PM »
Here's "Railroad Blues" from the NLCR June 7, 2003 Reunion Concert. It starts at about 22:35.

Also:

https://bluegrasstoday.com/on-this-day-54-new-lost-city-ramblers-debut/

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1748 on: March 25, 2022, 04:50:39 PM »
Hi all,
Here is Bob Paisley and the Southern Grass, with his son Danny singing tenor to him, doing a song I think George Jones first sang, "The Color Of the Blues". I love the way they sang this one. Bob passed away some years ago now, but I believe Danny still sings it as a solo number.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1749 on: April 03, 2022, 06:23:53 AM »
Hi all,
Here is another Prestige-Bluesville album that didn't make it on to CD, like Wade Walton's--Doug Quattlebaum's "Mister Softee Blues". Here is the program, if you'd like to sample it:

A1 Sweet Little Woman
A2 Whiskey Headed Woman
A3 Trouble In Mind
A4 You Is One Black Rat
A5 On My Way To School
A6 You Ain't No Good
A7 Come Back Blues
B1 Mama Don't Allow Me To Stay Out All Night Long
B2 Big Leg Woman
B3 Love My Baby
B4 Black Night Is Falling
B5 Baby Take A Chance With Me
B6 So Sweet
B7 Worried Mind Blues

Guitar, Vocals – Doug Quattlebaum

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 02:01:55 PM by Johnm »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1750 on: April 09, 2022, 12:40:36 AM »
Have we had Darling Harrison on this thread before?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1751 on: April 09, 2022, 09:14:15 AM »
Do you know anything about him, where he is from, when this was recorded, Prof? He's a new name to me.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1752 on: April 09, 2022, 09:18:33 AM »
Sadly, no. I just came across him for the first time today, and the video uploader doesn’t include any background information. I’m quite surprised not to have heard of him before, given his great playing and singing ability.
(Edited to add: if you click on the video title - Darling Harrison - some limited information appears. This seems to have been recorded in the late 1980s. DH was born in Aberdeen Mississippi where he saw Bukka  White play on the streets. At some point he encountered Robert Johnson in Greenville).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 09:31:39 AM by Prof Scratchy »

Offline eric

« Reply #1753 on: April 09, 2022, 09:37:15 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, I recall the guy who posted this video as a collector of 78s back in the day. I messaged him to ask about it.

Edited to add: I heard back and will follow up. He has a few videos of St. Louis players posted on his website.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 10:52:05 AM by eric »
--
Eric

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1754 on: April 17, 2022, 01:39:10 AM »
Sophisticated jug…

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal