collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I want to let you know that some snakes have been seen in the Roundyard neighborhood. The grass has grown up around the sidewalk and the snakes has been seen, looking for water - Early Wright, obituary to the DJ, WROX Clarksdale

Author Topic: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips  (Read 255011 times)

Offline harriet

Re: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips
« Reply #1605 on: July 02, 2020, 04:47:18 AM »
For those interested this youtube channel has been posting recording, some of which are not on cd as noted in the comment section on the clip below, some are from his collection. There may be, but I did not see footage with the audio on any I looked at.

There's currently 9 by Fred Mcdowell, including Highway61 on a resonator,. There are recordings from alot more artists including Furry Lewis, Mance Lipsccomb, Peg Leg Sam, Baby Tate,Lightning Hopkins, Sonny Terry and Brownie MCGhee, Cecil Barfield, Henry Rule Johnson, Pink Anderson, Bukka White among others.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:57:31 AM by harriet »

Offline eric

« Reply #1606 on: July 02, 2020, 08:07:13 AM »
Great version of Ella Speed!
--
Eric

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #1607 on: July 02, 2020, 02:15:58 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Harriet. There's a treasure trove of great music there.

Offline eric

« Reply #1608 on: July 28, 2020, 07:06:27 PM »
Inspired by the discussion of You Got to Keep Things Clean in which dj digresses into a discussion of Armstrong Linoleum Flooring, I got to thinking about product placement in country blues*.  I remember the first time I heard this tune on Chris Strachwiz's radio program and I thought, man, I gotta find that service station at 1668 Frank Road.

*Maybe there was a thread on this?
--
Eric

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:40:35 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline eric

« Reply #1610 on: July 29, 2020, 06:37:10 AM »
Thanks, Waxwing.
--
Eric

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #1611 on: July 30, 2020, 01:37:14 AM »
That picture of Fred McDowell above is interesting in that there appears to be no sign of a bottleneck and he's playing a flat-top acoustic rather than the usual arch-top or electric. Whatever he's playing, the man could do no wrong in my book and I am pleased and honoured to have seen him play live in London in the late 60s. I travelled over 200 miles specially to see him and it sure was worth it.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline harriet

« Reply #1612 on: July 30, 2020, 06:23:03 AM »
That picture of Fred McDowell above is interesting in that there appears to be no sign of a bottleneck and he's playing a flat-top acoustic rather than the usual arch-top or electric. Whatever he's playing, the man could do no wrong in my book and I am pleased and honoured to have seen him play live in London in the late 60s. I travelled over 200 miles specially to see him and it sure was worth it.

I'm pretty sure the photo is from the Philadelphia Folk Festival, August 28, 1970 - there's another online with Bonnie Raitt with him wearing the same clothes. I've seen him in several photos where he was playing a flat top off stage at festivals. 

The resonator was identified as Bob West's who interviewed him in 1969 for KRAB-fm and the link is here to the page: http://www.krabarchive.com/programs/krab-has-the-blues-king-biscuit-time.html.  The interview itself is over an hour and he plays about 13 songs and converses with West and others - West accompanies him on the resonator at one point.  I found it very interesting.  The interview is entitled " Mississippi Fred McDowell - Rec at KRAB Aug 9, 1969; KRAB Sep 13, 1969".  He's playing the new Electric which might have been the Trini Lopez model and IMHO is in top form.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 06:25:05 AM by harriet »

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #1613 on: July 30, 2020, 10:04:42 AM »

[/quote]
I've seen him in several photos where he was playing a flat top off stage at festivals. 
[/quote]
Indeed.There`s rather a nice photo of him playing a J200.Also,anyone familiar with Fred`s repertoire
would know that he played many,many non-slide songs.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1614 on: August 07, 2020, 12:41:27 AM »
Hadn’t come across Gene Campbell till today, via a tip from a friend. What a great performer he was. Does anyone know anything about him?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1615 on: August 07, 2020, 05:47:19 AM »
Hi Prof,
Apart from the fact that I think most, if not all of his sessions were recorded in Texas, I think pretty much nothing is known about Gene Campbell in a biographical sense, or even if he only sang on his records or was self-accompanied. You can listen to all of his recorded numbers now in the "Gene Campbell Lyrics" thread, at: https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4700.msg34673#msg34673 .  I sure like his singing, and he had a lot of interesting and original lyrics, too.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1616 on: August 07, 2020, 06:18:41 AM »
Don't know how I missed him before! Will certainly listen to all the tracks now. Thanks for the link!

Offline harriet

« Reply #1617 on: August 07, 2020, 08:48:15 AM »
Here's a page on Gene Campbell with little bit of the biography that was found on him by researchers...
http://oldtimeblues.net/tag/gene-campbell/

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1618 on: August 07, 2020, 10:09:59 AM »
Thanks Harriet!

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #1619 on: August 08, 2020, 05:58:32 AM »
Hello-
I don't have anything to add about Gene Campbell. I've come across him a couple times on this site, but I hadn't heard that particular track before. I like those runs between vocal lines a lot. JohnM- I agree about his singing. Fantastic. Thank you for posting, Prof.
Take care

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal