collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"A very highsounding name, and they were a pretty good group, but they just played things that didn't have any sense to them at all." - Columbia recording scout Frank B. Walker remembers the Leake County Revelers

Author Topic: Two Banjo/Guitar Breakdowns  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Dr. G

Two Banjo/Guitar Breakdowns
« on: November 03, 2006, 05:12:22 AM »
Lest we forget what the banjo is best-suited for, here are 2 classic breakdowns.

Apologies for the mushy sound quality: it was tough to cram all that guitar (Duncan) and banjer (yours truly) into 800 whatever-they-are. Also, because the banjo and guitar are so similar in the midrange, it is sooooo much better to hear them separately, i.e., in stereo.

But...whatever...this pair of compressed numbers will give those not intimately familiar with Old-Timey an impressionistic view of the havoc that a guitar and banjo can wreak when they start cooking together.

Hope you enjoy.

Dr. G

[attachment deleted by admin]

rbuniv

Re: Two Banjo/Guitar Breakdowns
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 11:48:54 AM »
Dr. G;

Great pickin'! I'll try to record a clawhammer piece to post, never got the hang of "drop thumb" but rather developed my own style using the index and middle finger to play melody.

RB

Offline Dr. G

Re: Two Banjo/Guitar Breakdowns
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 04:52:22 PM »
Hey RB

Sounds cool! Looking forward to hearing more of your original approach.

Your comment on clawhammer "variants" reminds me of something I've heard referred to as "rat-picking" (don't ask me why!), in which the thumb is used in an upward brush stroke, at least now and then.

If perchance further adventures in "drop thumb" rhythmic techniques, or full-bore melodic double thumb clawhammer stylings, intrigue you, I'd be happy to lend a thumb...er, hand. I remember quite vividly that my own playing surged forward a quantum leap when the big kid down the street showed me how to make "Sourwood Mountain" sound much catchier by bringing that ol' thumb down on the "melody" strings now and then.

But I'm still waiting for more samples of "RBing" -- or should that be "RJing" -- a banjo, as well!

Dr. G
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 05:01:18 PM by Dr. G »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal