collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Don't never follow you first mind, cause that's the one that's wrong. 'Cause the Devil beats God to you every time! - Son House

Author Topic: Catfish Keith  (Read 1485 times)

Cooljack

Catfish Keith
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:22:16 AM »
I noticed that a musician named Catfish keith was playing at my favorite venue in my home town not long ago, I saw a few flyers around and was considering going though I said to my friend who is a promoter at the venue that I could guarentee he would be playing covers, his penultimate song most likely being called "Catfish Blues" sung with a forced "blues" voice. I was pretty intrigued as it cost ?10 on the door which is about twice as much as it usually costs for even well known artists who play there, so thought I might have been overly synical (which I tend to be with most blues I hear these days).

I didn't go in the end though i recieved a text from my friend saying "you were right, hes playing catfish blues at this very moment!".. Was just wondering if anyone could tell me whether my asserstion was right or not, or if people who see much live blues (which I very rarely do) could tell me if much modern accoustic blues is like this? furthermore from the sounds of it, it was some kind of tour promoting National Guitars though im not sure about that

Offline TX_Songster

• From Fort Worth, hometown of The Black Ace
Re: Catfish Keith
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:18:48 PM »
Cooljack-
I'm not sure about the tour.  It may be in part promoted by National Guitars as he is featured on their website.  I can tell you a little about Catfish Keith.  First, he is from my home state: Iowa (although I live in Texas now).  I saw him way back in 1992 at a coffee shop in Cedar Falls.  I wouldn't call what he plays 'modern acoustic blues'.  Although that would depend on your definition of 'modern'.  He is definately in the traditional blues genre.

I hope to see him again some day, and check his schedule often.  However, it seems that he is almost always touring Europe, Mexico... anywhere but Texas.

TX Songster

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 06:01:56 AM by TX_Songster »

T18

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 02:16:02 PM »
He is also a very good teacher. He has a course offered by homespun.
Tim

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »
lil' taste...

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 07:55:39 AM »
Sorry to say CJ but I can guarantee that you missed a damned good concert there - it is sad that you didn't go - you would have had a blast. Catfish is one of the best blues artists out there at the current time - certainly up in the top echelons of the genre, playing country blues but with his own twists and approaches always there. Excellent music. You missed a good one ! Shame.

Offline Nicolas Dussart

• Salut les mecs !
    • some concerts photos
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 08:11:59 AM »
Sorry to say CJ but I can guarantee that you missed a damned good concert there - it is sad that you didn't go - you would have had a blast. Catfish is one of the best blues artists out there at the current time - certainly up in the top echelons of the genre, playing country blues but with his own twists and approaches always there. Excellent music. You missed a good one ! Shame.

I have the same feeling...
I was lucky to attend a concert and a workshop with Catfish last year. What a blast !
He is a good singer and has is very own style of playing, especially a very strong attack and use of "false" harmonics, it's outstanding.

Don't miss him next time !

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal