collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
This song was covered by a famous rock and roll musician who became a folk singer because he can afford to - Roy Book Binder, introducing Delia, a Gary Davis song

Author Topic: apitt St. Thomas  (Read 2077 times)

Offline andypitt

apitt St. Thomas
« on: May 21, 2009, 03:02:33 PM »
Hey folks.-I'm gettin' the post bug I guess.
Here is a take on St. Thomas inspired by my pal Andy Cohen who gives it a better feel than I'm presenting. I recorded it too slow but will re record at a more appropriate speed and feel. Anyway....

[attachment deleted by admin]
Andy
If you don't believe I'm leavin', you can count the days I'm gone!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Re: apitt St. Thomas
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 12:35:13 AM »
That's a nice one as well!

For some reason your playing made me think of Ry Cooder.

Cheers

Pan

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:45:59 AM »
That's a nice one as well!

For some reason your playing made me think of Ry Cooder.

Cheers

Pan

Agreed. It might be Joseph Spence via Ry Cooder. Some of the tune also reminds me slightly of Roger Hubbard's African-influenced tune "The Puller" which he wrote as a tribute to Nelson Mandela.

Delightful picking, Andy.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 11:58:50 AM »
Hi all,
For what it's worth, "St. Thomas" is by the great Jazz tenor saxophonist, Sonny Rollins.  He recorded it for Prestige in 1956.  I had the idea to give the tune a sort of Joseph Spence type of treatment and recorded it on my second Blue Goose album, "How About Me".  Since then, it has been recorded by a variety of other finger-picking guitarists, Pat Donohue, Phil Heywood, Andy Cohen and others, generally with the same sort of approach.
All best,
Johnm   

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »
Fascinating lines of transmission. John, why don't you post your version so we can hear how this game of musical telephone has unfolded. I'd love to hear your original.  And Andy were you aware that this tunes guitaristic origins occurred at the hands of Weenies own John Miller? I imagine not. An interesting coincidence at the Weenie neighborhood bar.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 05:35:53 PM »
I like your idea, Phil.  I will have access to the recording this week-end, and if I can figure out how to save it as an mp3, I will do so and post it here.  I reckon I will have to read the advice on how to make it the right size and so on.  I hope it works out, and if I can't figure it out, I know many tech-savvy people who can talk me through it--it's been done before.
All best,
John

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »
I forgot to say that I listened to your version of "St. Thomas", Andy, and enjoyed it.  I think the way the tune has evolved since I recorded it is more African-sounding and less Caribbean-sounding perhaps.  Nice job.
all best,
Johnm

Offline andypitt

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 04:34:38 PM »
Thank you Johnm. I agree. If I may be self critical on this one- In recording it I think I was over careful about getting the notes right-(I get nervous in front of the mic)- It became a pretty thing without the "funk" that really belongs in there.
 I do appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment.
Andy

Offline jtbrown

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 12:22:13 PM »
It sounds great, Andy (nothing wrong with pretty!), and I've enjoyed your other posts a lot as well.

And John, I do hope you'll be able to post your version soon; I'm sure I'm not the only one who's really looking forward to hearing it.

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 09:38:12 PM »
This is good.  Nice improvising.  It inspired me to work up a version.  I thought I could do 'better', or at least avoid aspects I didn't care for as much in Andy's version.   
Now I'm not so sure  ^-^.  Maybe with work.  I won't be ready for prime time (ie. posting here) for quite a while. 
I'm avoiding listening to it again, because I want my version to truly be my own.  I've never heard Johns or anyone else's but Rollin's version.

But Andy, really it was fine, I don't mean to disparage at all.

Dave

Offline andypitt

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 05:41:22 AM »
Thanks Dave. I look forward to hearing yours.

Andy
Andy

Offline Bob B

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 01:42:08 AM »
For me, the beauty of John Miller's arrangement of St. Thomas lies in the hints that he gives as 'teases' which are fully developed a few bars farther along -- if it were a novel you would call it forshadowing. 

Andy--nice job!!

Best Regards

Bob

brazil66

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 04:04:48 AM »
Bravo! Andy.....I love your playing. And choice of the tune. Like that Rumba happnin' in the back too.

You got a fan in Chelsea.

M.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 04:21:07 AM »
Hi all

John's version of St. Thomas can be heard on this thread:

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=1671.msg12511#msg12511

Cheers

Pan

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »
Both versions are a lot of fun, and capture the essence of Sonny's spirit in a completely different context. I've seen him several times, over a 35 year span, and I've never seen him leave the stage without playing that tune--it's a key part of one of America's greatest musicians.

Andy, I don't know whether you were really trying to get the Joseph Spence feel as John was, but I think you have got it down, and at the same time there's something of a classical element to your playing. It's an unusual and interesting combination, and I like it a lot.

John, as one expects, yours is absolutely masterful, maybe with a bit less of that Spence rolling Caribbean feel to it but still quite strong, and the variations are great.

And Pan, thanks for pointing us toward John's version.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal