collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The water broke out in the morning time. We could hear it when it broke, just like a 'Boom!' It busted the levee through. And the water was coming. We could hear the river roaring. People was hollering, 'The levee broke! Get ready and get out!' - David Honeyboy Edwards, April 15 1927, from his bio

Author Topic: Tommy Johnson's "Alcohol & Jake Blues" on Ebay  (Read 4591 times)

Offline jpeters609

Tommy Johnson's "Alcohol & Jake Blues" on Ebay
« on: September 19, 2013, 12:45:05 PM »
Tommy Johnson's Paramount recordings are some of the finest pre-war blues we'll ever hear, but because of their rarity (and poor condition) we've only heard them through a hail of surface noise. His pairing of "Alcohol and Jake Blues" and "Ridin' Horse" is, in my opinion, his best record -- and one of the best blues recordings ever. The songs are essentially re-makes of his "Canned Heat Blues" and "Maggie Campbell" recorded two years earlier for Victor, but these Paramount versions are looser, livelier (and perhaps more inebriated) affairs.

Until now, only one copy was known to exist: a beat-up version in the possession of, I believe, Pete Whelan. (In fact, the "Ridin' Horse" side is so battered that on my Tommy Johnson comp, the song is cut off before it reaches its end.) But now, on Ebay, a copy has appeared that is in about as good of condition as you can ever hope to see. Check the link for pics and bids (astronomical):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300969625287?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It's probably a foregone conclusion that John Tefteller will outbid all. Let's hope it appears soon on a release available to us folks. This one deserves to be heard.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:04:24 PM by jpeters609 »
Jeff

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Tommy Johnson's "Alcohol & Jake Blues" on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
Thanks for the post, Jeff. I hope that the rest of us non-bidders will have a chance to hear it someday.

Six days to go and already it's over 10K--but the postage is only $4.00! I'm sure that both of those numbers will change, along with the delivery method.

Offline CF

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »
Oh wow, I hope John gets this, we'll hear it in 2015 on his calendar CD!

I like the songs too jpeters but Tommy's best record? No way!  :)
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 08:56:58 PM »
I like the songs too jpeters but Tommy's best record? No way!  :)

Yes, I may have been overly effusive in my praise! (I'd be willing to listen to arguments in favor of his "Lonesome Home Blues #2" from the Paramount sessions.) But, from a purely subjective, gut-feeling kind of way, this "Alcohol and Jake Blues"/"Ridin' Horse" has always been a favorite of mine.
Jeff

Offline CF

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 06:18:31 AM »
Tommy's playing on RIDIN' HORSE is pretty fantastic for sure!
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 08:10:16 PM »
$14,430 so far with 3 days 18 hours to go. See the comments at the bottom of the Ebay page, the seller was going to let it go for 4K until people commented, phew, close shave there.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 09:23:32 AM »
A clean copy of this record would be most welcome, so I'm cheering for Tefteller or someone who will make it available, not one of those standard evil degenerate collector types.  :P

Also tantalizing: The seller says, "I HAVE 1000'S OF RECORDS 78,45, &33s TWO BIG STORAGE LOCKERS"

Could more goodies be lurking? Other items listed include some records I would like (in my dreams).

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 09:58:06 AM »

A record like this bringing an extraordinary sum would be a good thing. I've always thought that, while these records are certainly VERY scarce, their rarity has actually been somewhat exaggerated by the fact that very, very few people have actually looked for them. We read about people like Bussard and Wardlow, who say they have only seen one copy of such-and-such record, but their experience is of course narrow and by necessity limited. There are vast numbers of junk shops, basements, and personal collections that have never been searched. There may be records like this stacked up in collections or in grandparents' basements, and the people who have them are either clueless about the value or unaware that they even have them (or both). It's telling that this seller, who apparently is a collector with storage lockers full of records, was unaware of the high value of this record (as he was willing to sell it for $4,000.) It's possible that someone will think it's worthwhile to dig through the stacks and find even more, once they see the value of this Ebay auction.
Jeff

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 10:09:41 AM »
I would bet good money Tefteller has contacted this guy already and wants to see that amazing horde for himself.

Now at $15,700 with 3 days to go.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 12:17:08 PM by Rivers »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 09:23:10 AM »
It will be interesting to see how this one ends. Looks like it will be over Wednesday, 11:15 a.m. EDT. Checking the bidding with the auto bids and their dates, it looks like j***e got in with a pretty high max on the 18th and has been using Bay's proxy feature to automatically surpass all other bids by the minimum amount. If someone with deep pockets really wants this one, they may just wait on the sidelines and jump in with 10 seconds to go with their max, hoping that the other bidders won't have time to manually raise theirs, if in fact his or her's is higher.

I agree that finds such as this may be a  good thing if the result is that other rare records are recovered, but it depends on word getting around to those who may actually have the good stuff.

Offline Tom Rushen

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 01:18:31 PM »
I would bet good money Tefteller has contacted this guy already and wants to see that amazing horde for himself.

Now at $15,700 with 3 days to go.

I hope this guy really does have an "amazing horde"...the fact that he pulled this one out to sell says the guy has at least *some* knowledge, though conversely, the fact that he almost got talked into trying to sell it to that first fast-talker for $4K suggests his knowledge at least before this auction was limited.

At minimum, please have a near-mint Patton "Heart Like Railroad Steel" for us. It's too much to dream of a missing Willie Brown...

Offline RB

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 02:36:46 PM »
You folks do know that a 'horde' should be a 'hoard?'

I would guess that the seller had little idea of the desirability of the T Johnson record and picked it to sell for other reasons.  And now is pleasantly surprised.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 04:10:49 PM »
It was meant to be ambiguous, horde as in a teeming multitude, but sounding like the same word meaning a secured collection. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline Tom Rushen

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »
You folks do know that a 'horde' should be a 'hoard?'

Well, I *did*, before old age shot the Grammar Policeman in me.

;)

Before the GP in me died, however, I did notice that the seller's wife told him he had to "downsides" his record collection....

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 04:19:02 PM »
I thought the wife meant there were downsides to having a teeming horde locked up in the basement ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal