collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I wish to be cremated. One tenth of my ashes shall be given to my agent, as written in our contract - Groucho Marx

Author Topic: My first time  (Read 9131 times)

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
My first time
« on: July 15, 2004, 03:22:49 PM »
Well only a few weeks till PT and I'm still a bit intimidated about attending. I have been taking private blues lessons for a couple of months but haven't picked up playing the blues as fast as I picked up strumming folk tunes. I'm still working things out as far as structure (and losing bad habits) so I haven't really started any songs yet. Still working on using those slides. Part of my instruction has been to listen to as much blues as possible so it has had it's side benefits.?
My wife bought me a used OOO-15S for an early birthday present so I'm contemplating which guitar to bring since it looks like Alaska Airlines is going to make me check it as baggage. I'm also thinking about bringing my ukulele as a distraction.
I will be arriving Monday around 11 am and will be somewhere around SeaTac waiting for the shuttle.

Any last minute advice would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, any coffee places near the workshop that are accessible in the morning? (I know, I know, we're in Washington and there's always a coffee place nearby.)
Thanks,
Gary
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 12:29:22 AM by waxwing »
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: My first time
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 04:21:47 PM »
Hi Gary, you'll have a blast.  No need for jitters... it is a very supportive workshop no matter what level you play.  There are lots of beginners classes and Centrum makes an extra effort for beginners (the future of the workshop!).  In fact the name 'Weenie Campbell" is in many senses a self-deprecating remark about the bunch of us playing this wonderful music from historical black culture  -- and finding out what a big dang challenge it is to play it!  So you are in good company.

The 000-15S sounds like a great guitar to bring (I want to check it out, :P no Martin dealers in El Paso) - they are supposed to be great little finger picking guitars.  And by all means bring your ukulele too -- Del Rey will be there with her Ukes and she has taught Uke classes the past two years -- she is a big Uke nut.  So is Lightin' Wells - excellent Uke player and he regailed us at happy hour several times last year, had us rolling in the isles - he had two Ukes with him.

Hmmm, advice.  Try to get your callouses in shape, bring aspirin (very easy to drink too much beer - but I'm making assuptions about you) and bring some ear plugs - you may want to take a nap or turn in ealier than 3 or 4 am.

Cheers,
slack

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 05:05:44 PM »
Gary, like Slack said, you'll have a blast. No need to be intimidated. My first time out I felt at home within 10 minutes thanks to the many wonderful participants and the great teaching/learning environment. Don't know if you're staying in the Weenie houses or the dorms, but if it's the dorms, do wander by Officer's Row (the big old houses  across the big field - you'll see when you get there) and say hello. We can give you lots of advice in person. We'll have been there a few days by the time you arrive so just look for a bunch of raggedy-assed reprobates with guitars and mandos, or BBQs and beers depending on the time of day.

Things to bring:

a capo. Surprising how many people forget this and depending on the classes you attend, they are used frequently. Also good for jams etc.

Recording device. Tape recorder, minidisc recorder, whatever you got, bring it and lots of batteries. Essential part of learning since you'll find there's no way you take in even 1/4 of the material right away.

A varied wardrobe. It can get warm, but can be quite cool at night.

A credit card for the CD store.

Re. coffee, the new feed hut onsite is getting good reviews so far. Otherwise, there was a Java Gypsy mobile that pulled in each day offering caffeinated products, don;t know if they'll be around again. I'm a tea person myself (my British roots) so can't offer wisdom but others no doubt will.

You'll have a blast. Bring the 000-15S and check it through Special Handling. I haven't had any problems yet doing the same from Montreal. You could also try to gate-check it.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 03:44:10 AM »
I really must try for this next year  :P
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Peter McCracken

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 05:01:16 AM »
Gary, the Weenies are one of the things that make this gathering so satisfying to me - for perspective, the Weenies (and this website) evolved out of a common passion for this music. A bunch of them started it up, because they couldn't help it. They are, loosely, a group of folks who come most every year, stay in touch throughout the year; they have become almost like the workshop staff and welcoming committee. At this point they sort of set the tone for the week - more than an attitude, less than a lifestyle.

The Java Gypsy should be on-site each morning. In theory you can get a pretty good cup on your way to class, without breaking stride. We'll also have a big pot of drip each day, in "the kitchen," a room amidst the workshops.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Peter

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 05:54:46 AM »
Thanks Peter, for letting us know that John and Heidi will be on site again. Sweet couple and fine espresso.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Miblues

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 03:57:45 PM »
Hey Gary

We spoke once before regarding PT on the AG forum.  I'm a wee bit apprehensive as well as it sounds like there's going to be some pretty hot players there (not counting the instructors!!).  But, what the hey, maybe some of it will rub off on me.  Worst case scenario is we'll get to hear some great music and take away some stuff we can work on.

Are you taking the Centrum shuttle to PT?  If so, I'll see you on the shuttle on Monday.  Maybe we'll catch up in the airport bar for a bit of pre-PT lubrication ;-)

cheers
Michael

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 04:46:21 PM »
Gary - you sound about like I was when I first took the leap in 1995 - apprhensive but getting mighty excited. Now ten years later, I still can't play worth crap, but I've sure learned how to have a good time trying. I'll underscore Uncle Bud's recommendation about recording equipment - this is how you will get lasting value out of the workshop. I find myself going back through years of class recordings, and all the good stuff is still there. Someday, I'd like to get it all indexed properly so I won't have to shuffle through 50 or 60 90-minute tapes and damn near as many minidiscs. At least I took the time label them properly each day! In addition to the workshops, some of my favorite recordings are of concerts and master classes that

Here's what you're likely going to learn this year:
1. Whose music tickles your ear - every player has a few favorite artists, and you'll soon figure that out. If you like something you hear, ask a Weenie, and you'll soon know more than you ever wanted too.
2. Basic progressions (chord structures) for the blues - 8 bar, 12? bar, ragtime, and others (even erratic), and the most common chord shapes that go with them. This is where it all starts.
3. How important that darn thumb is in just about any finger-style blues - you will spend the next several years trying to teach it to work indpendently from your the rest of your fingers!
4. That while blues is a simple form, it can assume many subtleties and take on amazing complexities.
5. Be amazed by how many cool instruments (new and old) are gathered in one spot for a week, and how many you get to play.
6. That during the week, you'll learn more outside class than in, but the recordings you make in class will help you harvest and process material throughout the year.
7. That you can never have too many blues CDS (although Weenie Juke is a good substitute!) - as Uncle Bud mentioned, bring that credit card.
8. And finally, almost everyone you will meet shares your interest - some verge on being 'passionate' about this obscure musical form that is the bedrock for so much of what has followed.

And you'll meet lots of great people - faculty and students.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 12:31:21 AM by waxwing »
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Lwoodblues

• Living the Blues
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 09:26:06 PM »
  The first time, I couldn't fingerpick, had 6 "blues" lessons, hadn't played in 15 years, yada, yada.....
 1995. I'm addicted. won't miss it. Don't worry. If you would like somebody to "show" you the in's and out's, I could meet you at sign-in. Let me know. lwoodblues@wamail.net

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 02:38:32 PM »
Howdy:

As a first time attendee arriving +/- mid-afternoon Friday, I have one question: How do I get from the Fort Worden front gate to where we're staying? Where are we staying?

Also (I guess this makes two questions) what cooking utensils, pots etc. are availible chez nous?

Thanks,
Alex

Offline jed

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 04:40:36 PM »
Howdy:
As a first time attendee arriving +/- mid-afternoon Friday, I have one question: How do I get from the Fort Worden front gate to where we're staying? Where are we staying?
Also (I guess this makes two questions) what cooking utensils, pots etc. are availible chez nous?

Alex, let's take this one over here for more info:  http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?Itemid=47&?topic=468.0

Cheers,
Jed
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 08:36:40 AM »
I just realized a lot of you are probably in transit or there already. Thanks for responses looking forward to putting faces to handles.
Gary
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 10:15:17 AM »
Go get 'em, Gary.  You'll have a great time.  Be sure to make time for at least one of John Miller's classes (if not all of them).  I've never met anyone who could explain things with greater clarity.

Offline jed

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 06:48:47 PM »
Gary, make sure you come by the Bricks (16 on Officers' Row) when you arrive.  The first Wave o' Weenies is here, with Waxwing's Kimodo, cases and cases of beer, a little Crown Royal still left, and grilled oysters aux half-shell tonite.   Guitars are being tuned, bottle openers and twist-o-caps are being tested - and you've gotta see Centrum's posters.

And when we sober up, you'll see a ho' lot of Weenies at JohnM's classes.  Frank's right about his expository gifts; what's unbelievable (but there it is) is that his music is as expressive as his explanations are easy to understand.

More later,
Jed

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 06:55:48 PM »
Aw right - first report from the weenie house!  8)

I'm just about packed just trying to figure out how to protect three jars of Chile Salsa, temperature = "Hazardous - Burning Coals" and fit in a bunch of other stuff I don't need!

Cheers,
slack

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 01:12:48 AM »
Hi all:

As a first timer I had a great time thanks to all the weenies who attended. I'll give some specific reminicences as soon as I get some sleep.

You guys drink too much (not me of course)!

Thanks again,
Alex

Offline jed

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2004, 11:18:32 AM »
Alex - BTW, tx for the over-the-border dosing - I hope that bottle lasted you all week!

Cheers,
Jed

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal