collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I have the freight train blues, boxcars on my mind - Bill Jackson, Freight Train Blues

Author Topic: Robert Johnson - new "XR" remasters  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Re: Robert Johnson - new "XR" remasters
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 02:40:51 PM »
There's now a second edition. I must confess that I was quite dubious at first. But the fact remains, that I've never heard RJ's guitar playing on From 4 until late so well before.

Hear for yourself: http://www.pristineclassical.com/LargeWorks/Vocal/PABL002.php

Pan

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 11:23:04 AM »
Well hearing the samples a download it seemed like a good idea at the time, but frankly I am now bit lost....has anybody actually downloaded any of this?

Do I want mp3's  or FLAC... is one format superior.... will any old cd player be able to play the resultant cd and so will I end up with a "regular" cd with wav files... the links to the reccommended conversion programs appear to be dead... is the download priced by cd or time...... or is my confusion due to that extra glass of grape juice I just had  :-X
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 11:25:52 AM by Richard »
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 01:36:21 PM »
I downloaded the flac format files. You have to find instructions on converting for Mac, if that's what you're using--basically, you drag the files to an icon for a piece of free software called Set OggS that you have to download, the conversion takes place, and you can then drag the files into iTunes. Once there you convert to Apple Lossless format, and you've got at least a relatively uncompressed file. Sounds great. I wish I could send you the instructions, which I have in .pdf, but I can't seem to figure out how to attach a file.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 02:29:46 PM »
Hi Kokomo O. You can attach a pdf to your post here by clicking on the "Additional Options" option just below and to the left of the posting window. This will open up a bunch of options, one of which will be "Attach". Click the "Browse" button in that line and browse for your file to attach it. Pdf is listed in the allowed file types for attachments here, so it should work, although Slack would be the final word on that.

Richard, I'm sure the grape juice is part of it...  :P  My limited understanding is that flac is better, but I haven't experimented with the format.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 02:30:53 PM by andrew »

Offline sands4us

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 02:49:48 PM »
OK ....I bit. Sounds pretty good although to be honest....can anyone really say that the remastered versions sound authentic?

There is just so little information from original recordings and I don't think anyone is alive who can say that the remastered sounds more or less authentic or true to the original sound.

I have always had trouble listening to the originals. I think these will get a lot more play when in the car, which is where I listen to a lot of music.

I bought the FLAC version and had no problems burning to CD, but then I used my Laptop running Ubuntu Linux. Linux Supports FLAC basically out of the box...so to speak.

Stephen

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 02:41:03 PM »
Grape juice aside, I think FLAC is the answer!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 05:31:38 PM »
I tried to attach the .pdf, but it wouldn't post. Anyway, here's the url for the instructions.

http://earpick.wordpress.com/2007/06/11/how-to-play-flac-in-itunes-on-mac

Tags: Remastered 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal