collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Can you play B.B. King?" "Yeah, if you put some strings on him, I'll play him" - Yank Rachell, Blues Mandolin Man

Author Topic: CB artists talking about other musicians  (Read 805 times)

Offline Shovel

CB artists talking about other musicians
« on: January 30, 2014, 04:43:32 PM »
I thought it would be interesting to have a thread that references quotes from Blues artists about each other, or more loosely, about other musicians.  Perhaps this is elsewhere on the site, I could not find something from this particular angle.

Like the quote from the Calt book where Skip James talks of Patton in a reverent* tone and called him "A real songster".  *(for Skip)

Or the story I think I read on the rolling WC Quote Board at the top of the page about RGD imitating Blind Lemon Jefferson on guitar.

Or, especially, any interesting stories about CB artists encountering one another after rediscovery.  For example, I always wondered if Skip James and Rev Gary Davis were ever in the same room or spoke of/to one another.  I can't imagine how that might have unfolded.

I've read about Muddy Waters getting on to his fellow musicians for mocking Son House.  Wondered if he ever talked about other old-timers.  Same with Howlin' Wolf. 

I'll double back with specific sourced examples.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: CB artists talking about other musicians
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:33:16 PM »
You might enjoy this...

Offline Shovel

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:56:47 AM »
Great clip, fantastic in every regard, thank you!

Offline Laura

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 05:20:28 AM »
That was a great clip, thanks a lot for posting banjochris!  I'm surprised he lasted so long before yelling at the kids.... and from 10:10 is too funny   :D

Hope we get some more like this.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
I think our fellow Weenie Lyle Lofgren could add some background to that, and he may have even been the one who taped it.

Offline Shovel

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »
From the Skip James Calt Bio:

Skip James on Lightnin' Hopkins:
"He considered Hopkins a kindred spirit: "Lightnin's kinda like myself," he would say approvingly, "On the pimpy side."  p. 128

Johnnie Temple on Skip:
Temple said of him: "Skippy was a born musician; a natural born musician."  His agile picking greatly impressed Temple:  "He had a terrible-movin' finger" p. 122

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal