collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...cause Papa don't allow no new ideas here - Sixto Rodriguez, Inner City Blues

Author Topic: Ben Curry/Bogus Ben Covington Lyrics  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Ben Curry/Bogus Ben Covington Lyrics
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 11:48:37 AM »
Hi all,
Bogus Ben Covington recorded "You Rascal You" at a session in Grafton, Wisconsin in January of 1932. The song was released by Paramount, as were all the songs from that session, as being performed by Ben Curry. He accompanied himself, as usual, on banjo-mandolin and harmonica on a rack, and also as was usual for him, had better and more interesting lyrics than many of the musicians who recorded this song. Here is "You Rascal, You":

INTRO SOLO

And you know you've done me wrong, you rascal, you
And you know you've done me wrong, you rascal, you
Yes, you know you've done me wrong, when you stole my wife and gone
But you sure won't have her long, you rascal, you

And I fed you all last Fall, you rascal, you
And I fed you all last Fall, you rascal, you
And I fed you all last Fall, then you got your ashes hauled
Then they tell me that ain't all, you rascal, you

I took you for my best friend, you rascal, you
And I thought you was my friend, you rascal, you
When I thought you was my friend, you was stealin' 'round the pen
Right there where you licked your hands, you rascal, you

HARMONICA BEGINS VERSE
You won't be 'round here to fret, 'round here bummin' cigarettes
You ain't never bought none yet, you rascal, you

You won't have to wash your feet, you rascal, you
You won't have to wash your feet, you rascal, you
You won't have to wash your feet, you won't dirty up no more sheets
And you sure won't walk the streets, you rascal, you

When them undertakers get you, you rascal, you
When that undertaker gets you, you rascal, you
When that undertaker gets you, I'm gonna leer and set up with you
With my banjo, I'm gonna hit you, you rascal, you

HARMONICA BEGINS VERSE
When they drag you out that door, you rascal, you
When they drag you out that door, you ain't comin' in no more
Then I know you gone for sure, you rascal, you

BANJO-MANDOLIN BEGINS VERSE
When they lay you in that graveyard, you rascal, you
When they lay you in that graveyard, I'm gonna pack the dirt so hard
We can't hear you if you ----, you rascal, you

CODA

Edited 1/30 to pick up correction from Harry and waxwing

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:17:52 PM by Johnm »

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 12:22:27 PM »
5.4 And you sure will won't walk the streets, you rascal, you

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 01:30:36 PM »
I think you're wrong on that one, Harry. He meant to say "You're sure GON' walk the streets, but started it with "w" for "WILL" and ended up with halfway between "WILL" and "GON'", so it sounds like "WON'". There is definitely no "t" at the end of that word and the vowel sound is wrong for "won't", too. The meaning is perfectly clear, though--he is certainly going to be walking the streets because the singer has kicked him out of his house where he has been eating his food, messing with his wife, stealing chickens, etc. "Won't walk the streets" makes no sense in this song in that line.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2021, 05:18:06 AM »
You're absolutely right John. I should have read that verse more carefully.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 12:12:11 PM »
I think I'm going to have to disagree with that logic, Johnm. I think Curry is talking about murder, not just kicking the guy out of his house. Starting with the fourth verse he shifts from past tense, his reasons for murder, to future tense, and the imagery has to do with being dead, mostly references to the undertaker. The washing of the feet is an undertaker's task tied to religious ritual, and I think that is the reference he is making. I think he's saying the undertaker will wash your feet for you and you "won't" walk the streets (and get them dirty) any more. Dropping the 't' from "won't" to elide into a word starting with a sound like 'w' is pretty common. He might have deviated a bit with the vowel sound because saying "won't walk" is a bit of a tongue twister, even without trying to cram a 't' in there.

Just my 2 cents. It;s your call.

Wax
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:14:04 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 12:16:41 PM »
You make a really good point, Wax, and I agree with you. I'd not taken it as an intent to murder the rascal, but I think you're right. I will make the change Harry suggested earlier and will give you both credit. Thanks!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2021, 12:56:43 PM »
Hi all,
Bogus Ben Covington recorded "The Laffing Rag" at his session for Paramount in January of 1932, recording as Ben Curry. The sound here is pretty rough, but it is the only version of the song I could find on youtube. I'd appreciate help with any bent bracketed passages. Laughing on records is funny, because sometimes it is infectious, and sometimes it can really grate on the nerves. I suspect it all depends on who is listening, or your mood when you're listening, but I like Ben Curry laughing, as I do Charley Lincoln or Barbecue Bob, but I find Charlie Burse's laughing on records really hard to take, maybe because there seems no actual mirth when he does it. Anyhow . . . here is "The Laffing Rag":

INTRO BANJO-MANDOLIN SOLO

I was my mama's baby child, she washed me white as snow
When that soap come off my back, I was black as a little old . . . crow
REFRAIN: Laughter

HARMONICA INTERLUDE

I went home the other night, me and my wife like to had a fight
Ain't but one thing that makes me happy, two little kids to call me Pappy

HARMONICA INTERLUDE

When I'm at home, it's "Honey, baby doll",
But it's "Big, black negro" when I'm gone
When I come back with a twenty dollar bill,
Then it's "Baby, where you been so long?"

HARMONICA INTERLUDE

I had a gal, her name was Lizzie, look in her face, she make you dizzy
When she'd go out, ride in a boat, you oughta seen that note she wro'

Great big man from Birmingham, wanted hear me laugh
He refused to give me a dime, "Mister, that's your ----."

HARMONICA INTERLUDE

I went out prayin' to get-a religion, when I set down to pray
Right out from a great big tree, I heard a owl say,
REFRAIN: "Well, who, who, who-who, a-who, who who."
Laughter

HARMONICA SOLO X 3

I asked St. James to lend me ten, pay my railroad fare
When I seen the great big man, then I went . . . there

HARMONICA CODA

Edited 1/30 to pick up correction from banjochris

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 01:52:50 PM by Johnm »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 01:24:52 PM »
I think it's "great big" in the brackets; it's the bit after that I'm not sure of. Almost sounds like "James I ain't been" but that doesn't make sense.

One little suggestion, take or leave, but in the boat verse I think I'd transcribe that last word as wro-- instead of row, because I think it should be "note she wrote" and he just starts cackling.
Chris

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 01:55:23 PM »
Thanks for the help, Chris. I had "great big" to begin with, but thought I heard an "l" at the front end of the second word. I'm satisfied with the end of that line, though the humor of it escapes me. I think your idea of "wro" in the earlier verse is right on, so I made that change, too. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 03:19:46 PM by Johnm »

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2021, 04:17:45 PM »
I think I'm going to have to disagree with that logic, Johnm. I think Curry is talking about murder, not just kicking the guy out of his house. Starting with the fourth verse he shifts from past tense, his reasons for murder, to future tense, and the imagery has to do with being dead, mostly references to the undertaker. The washing of the feet is an undertaker's task tied to religious ritual, and I think that is the reference he is making. I think he's saying the undertaker will wash your feet for you and you "won't" walk the streets (and get them dirty) any more. Dropping the 't' from "won't" to elide into a word starting with a sound like 'w' is pretty common. He might have deviated a bit with the vowel sound because saying "won't walk" is a bit of a tongue twister, even without trying to cram a 't' in there.

Just my 2 cents. It;s your call.

Wax

Excellent explanation Wax.  I should've read all the lyrics more carefully.
Verse 7 also perfectly explains the "won't walk".

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2021, 01:41:53 PM »
Hi all,
Bogus Ben recorded "Hot Dog" as Ben Curry, for Paramount in January of 1932. It's a kind of complicated vaudeville skit with commentary. Hearing Bogus Ben deliver this performance makes me think he was probably a master of the kind of complicated toasts that I remember John Dee Holman delivering at Port Townsend several times in the past. Here is "Hot Dog":

HARMONICA INTRO:

INTRO: Now everybody in here talkin' about hot dogs, they don't know what hot dog is! Hot dog is a little old winnin' word, when you wanta win, you say, "hot dog", that's the word. I was down in Mississippi four years ago, and all I had to do was say "hot dog". "Hot dog" got it, from the big broads, all you gotta do is say "hot dog".

SKIT: Bogus Ben: "Hello there, did Buddy bring the wagon to town?"
         Young woman: "No, I come with Uncle Fred, he brought a load of cotton. He's down there now, waitin' for the cotton seed."
         Bogus Ben: "Say, how 'bout bein' your brown for this Fall, I always did like you but I thought you was too small.Your mother and father allow you to see company?"
         Young woman: "You old-time boys are so funny!"
         Bogus Ben: "Say, look here, give me a break!"
         Young woman: "What is a break?"
         Bogus Ben: "Hot dog. Let me show you what life is all about. You think you been livin', but you just been campin' out. If you give me a chance, I'll stick by you."
         Young woman: "Well all right, I guess I'll try you."
         Bogus Ben: "Hot dog.
HARMONICA SOLO
COMMENTARY: Now, the big town girls is different, the dig-down, big town girls. They'll fall for "hot dog" if you say it, and say it right. Tough as they is, they'll fall for "hot dog". This is what I said to the big town girl last week. All you got to do is say "hot dog".
SKIT: Bogus Ben: "Excuse me, girl, if this ain't your name, but don't they call you Sarah Jane?"
         Young woman: "No, my parents call me Lee, and you don't know nothin' about me."
         Bogus Ben: "Say, I didn't say it for no fuss and fight, and I always love to do the thing that's right. Now beggin' is a thing that I don't do, but since I'm goin' your way, can I talk to you?"
         Young woman: "Well, I don't mind you talkin'."
         Bogus Ben: "Hot dog.
COMMENTARY: All you got to do is say "hot dog". "Hot dog" is the word--say it and say it right.
SKIT: Bogus Ben: "I know where a good show is, the best show in town. And in fact it's the only show that's been here this season. They got the Western Electric system, that is a treat to the blind man, I can't see. Will you appreciate the fact enough to go right over and explain the important facts to me, and I might not see? I'll pay your way in the show if you wouldn't mind it."
         Young woman: "Well, I guess . . "
         Bogus Ben: "Hot dog!
COMMENTARY: All you got to do is say "hot dog". "Hot dog" is the word, if you say it and say it right, that'll get it. Now, when we come out the show, this is what she said, gon' do the duck act--the duck act, this is what I'm talkin' about, hot dog, 'cause that's all the acts.
SKIT: Young woman: "I guess I'll be goin' home. My mother and father would like to see you, I want you to come out and meet the people some time."
         Bogus Ben: "Hot dog!" Say, you think I'm gon' let you walk home, after bein' so nice to me? Come on and go by the house with me, and I'll get some money and shoot you right home in a taxi cab--the street cars are so un-irregular."
         Young woman: "How far you live?"
         Bogus Ben: "Hot dog!"
COMMENTARY: All you got to do is say "hot dog", "Hot dog"'ll get it. When she got up to the house, I pull up half a pint.
SKIT: Bogus Ben: "Do you drink?"
         Young woman: "No, I can't stand it, it makes me sick to smell it."
         Bogus Ben: "You been drinking' bad liquor--a friend of mine sent me this from Kentucky, it's been buried in a barrel two years, when you taste it, taste the barrel in it. Hot dog!"
COMMENTARY: Now, when she drink up all my liquor, she set down on the bed. And I set right down beside her, what in the world do you reckon she said?
SKIT: Young woman: "Hot dog."
COMMENTARY: That got it.
HARMONICA CODA

Edited to pick up corrections from wax

All best,
Johnm       
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 04:53:26 PM by Johnm »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2021, 03:33:27 PM »
I've been waiting for "Hot Dog". If I had more time yesterday I would have taken a stab at it myself. Being an old theatre player I love the skit in this and have often thought about attempting to replicate it. Might need some editing to be able to perform it.

Some tough spots in there, Johnm. Just some suggestions:

-

Bogus Ben: "Hot dog. Let me show you what life is all about. You think you been livin', but you just been campin' out. IF you give ME a chance, and I'll stick by you."

-

COMMENTARY: Now, the big town girls is different. The dig-down, big town girls WILL fall for "hot dog" if you say it, and say it right. (changed punctuation to make two sentences)

-

Young woman: "No, my [?] IS CORA Lee, and you don't know nothin' about me." (The bracketed word sounds phonetically like "pain". Could be he meant to say "name" and flubbed it, or maybe there is a word that sounds like that and means name, but I can't come up with anything.)

-

Bogus Ben: "Hot dog!" Say, you think I'm gon' let you walk home, after bein' so nice to me? Come on and go by the house with me, and I'll get some money and shoot you right home in a taxi cab--the street cars IS so un-irregular." (gotta love "un-irregular"!)

-

Bogus Ben: "WHEN SHE GOT up to the house, I pull up half a pint. Do you drink?"

-

(Aha, when I got to the bottom you had corrected "having' bad luck" to "drinking' bad liquor".)

Bogus Ben: "You been drinking' bad liquor--a friend of mine sent me this from Kentucky, it's been BURIED in the barrel two years, when you taste it, taste the barrel in it. Hot dog!"

-

COMMENTARY: Now, WHEN she drink up all my liquor. She set down on the bed. And I set RIGHT DOWN beside her, what in the world do you reckon she said?

Take what you like and leave the rest.

Wax
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 03:37:06 PM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2021, 03:44:35 PM »
Just wanted to let you know I made a couple edits while you were reviewing, Johnm. Very minor, like striking the "and" in the first suggestion.

This is a lot of work.

Wax
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2021, 05:23:30 PM »
Thanks very much for your help, wax, and I couldn't agree more--it is a lot of work! I took all but two of your suggestions and made the changes. It's a shame this is so un-P.C., because it's really clever and cute the way Bogus Ben did it--funny, too. It's kind of like the Frank Loesser song, "Baby, It's Cold Outside", tough to do now. And in fairness, a performer would have to have a really light touch to pull this off--I can easily imagine it being really hard to take, and I reckon some folks find this version tough to take, as far as that goes.

I like the challenge of trying to transcribe these long spoken word performances, and this one is in a class with Henry Johnson's version of "John Henry". Whew!
All best,
Johnm

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2021, 06:09:29 PM »
I thought Louis Jordan nailed "Baby, It's Cold Outside", just like you said. 

Agree, it would be really fun to do “Hot Dog“. If not for...

Wax
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal