collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Today a guy can go into a studio and make a record, just any guy. Today you are judged by your records. You make a record overnight. A guy makes a record and overnight he's a big recording star and you can't say anything to him. And most of the time he can't even carry his instrument - Sam Price, to Paul Oliver, 1960

Author Topic: What Country Blues musicians would you most like to have seen perform?  (Read 9097 times)

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Re: What Country Blues musicians would you most like to have seen perform?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »

Hacksaw Harney.

(I can hear the collective ooooooohhhhhhhh over the Web.)

Offline poymando

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 10:35:17 PM »
Skip James-in the Grafton studio
Amede Ardoin/Dennis McGee-playing for a dance
Mississippi Sheiks-on the street
and any of the Nashville area Black string band musicians of 1900-1930s

Offline Eltee

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 11:46:58 PM »
Charlie Patton and Lemon Jefferson

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 02:48:53 AM »
Blind Willie Mctell (on the streets of Atlanta)
Robert Johnson (in the studio doin' Preachin blues)
Son House (Library of Congress Sessions)

Offline Shovel

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 03:06:05 AM »
i'd like to see one of those Dockery Farms 4th of July picnics where they'd build the big stage for patton and some of the other local musicians to throw down on.  musta been something else. 

Mister Steve

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 04:04:18 AM »
Frank Stokes and Dan Sane.

Mississippi Sheiks.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 05:00:35 AM »
Gee, my first reaction is "all of them"!  But to pare it down a bit:

Charley Patton - for general showmanship, and to see if he was any more intelligible in person
Buddy Moss - for musicianship
Stokes and Sane, Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe - because I love guitar duets
Walter Roland - the list needs a piano player (tough he'd be welcome to bring the rest of the Jolly Jivers)
The Shreveport Homewreckers, Jack Kelly and his South Memphis Band - because I love bands, and, at least on records, these guys tore down the house
Casey Bill Weldon - to see how he handled the bar and what he played when he played live
Any combination of the Chatmon family and friends, playing anything they felt like playing

It's a big list!  And I haven't even gotten to Carr & Blackwell, Fuller with Oh Red and Sonny Terry, Weaver & McMullen, the Harlem Hamfats, etc.  Am I being too greedy?   :D

By the way, I'd really like to see a few early jazz bands and tent show/circus sideshow bands while I'm at it. Now I KNOW I'm being too greedy!!

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 05:18:36 AM »
Any combination of the Chatmon family and friends, playing anything they felt like playing
Good call. Sheiks or Mudsteppers. Bo too, I like a smutty ditty every now & then.

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 05:27:34 AM »
From just a greedy standpoint I'd love to see all the Atlanta artists. Weaver, Moss, McTell, BBQ Bob and brother, I would love to know the Georgia blues sound in a deeper way than possible. Many of those that taught these guys and were barely documented. I would love to walk through Decatur as a black man in the 1920/30s, would have really seen some amazing stuff. Stuff much richer than the recordings we have and our imaginations can muster. One of my mentors told me in the day the black gangsters of Decatur wore suits and pants with the pant legs wrapped around their boots and tommy guns and the whole works. He said anything the white people had the black district had it's own version including gangsters, real ones. He also talks about as a child all the blues piano acts including his mother who was pretty famous. Then he talks about all the country blues guitar crowd moving into town and that era happening. I would love to see that... street performances, barbeque joints, McTell busking Ponce De Leon and all the other stuff happening in those days. I also see the picture of women like Cora Mae following her father Weaver and others around to parties and such. And seeing her listening to the radio, scribbling down information, and mailing dollars to Knoxville and other places to mail order the latest blues record she heard. I'd like to see Buddy Moss and her father coming up the driveway like she describes and seeing her run to grab gum out of their coat pockets. Talk about a living blues book... WOW what we could probably see, better than any movie ever made.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:31:43 AM by LittleBrother »

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 05:39:37 AM »
Sane

I'd love to see Dan Sane play with ANYBODY - Stokes/Will Batts/Jack Kelly...  any!  all!

and wouldn't you want to see Charlie Patton, Willie Brown and Kid Bailey play, just to see if only two guys showed up?  Not to mention that they'd whoop it up in the meantime!

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 06:17:04 AM »
and wouldn't you want to see Charlie Patton, Willie Brown and Kid Bailey play, just to see if only two guys showed up?

Good one!  I wish I'd thought of it.

Speaking of Atlanta, I'd like to add Peg Leg Howell and His Gang (Eddie Anthony and Henry Williams) to my list.

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »
In this dream world don't they have those tour buses that take you around the country? if not then definately Patton
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »
and wouldn't you want to see Charlie Patton, Willie Brown and Kid Bailey play, just to see if only two guys showed up?

Good one!  I wish I'd thought of it.

Speaking of Atlanta, I'd like to add Peg Leg Howell and His Gang (Eddie Anthony and Henry Williams) to my list.

Oooops, good point..

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »
Hi all,
Since it seems like it's okay to double dip, I'd like to come back to see Blind Willie Johnson and Henry Thomas.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 05:44:17 PM »
Double dipping aslo, SJE & friends back in the day, and the Beale St Sheiks or Frank Stokes solo. Willie Johnson, McTell, Geeshie Wiley... it's endless.

But Patton & Lemon are the kings, for me, in this particular fantasy. Hey what about Tampa Red, Big Bill and Black Bob playing a house rent party with Victoria Spivey. Or Barbecue Bob / Georgia Browns... Minnie and Kansas Joe... Man what a time that was.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal