collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
This world is not made to suit no one man's order - Roosevelt Sykes, from Blues Collection 46, Orbis Publishing pg 550)

Author Topic: Old Hat finds another new Blind blake  (Read 3623 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Old Hat finds another new Blind blake
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 01:25:59 AM »
Well absolutely, if you consider Facebook to be some sort of universe. Don't forget to tune-in to the Facebook country blues juke while you're there, also check out the Facebook country blues wiki, FB c/b tag index and FB c/b search facility.

Jeesh, what is this, the invasion of Mark Zuckerburg's disillusioned zombie shareholder army?

Most of us are quite happy with what we've got going here, but thank you very much all the same.

Please PM one of the moderators before posting any more FB spam. Probably not me; pick your favorite moderator. Thanks. Or feel free to post on the Down The Dirt Road board, which is set up for promoting other worthy websites that are not weenie.

And now, to return to the topic, 'topic' being an alien concept on FB for more than 5 minutes I do realize (he said sarcastically), shall we continue discussing the vastly more important subject of the recent Blind Blake discovery? Thank you very, very much.

Well, I read them as friendly heads up posts, not spam.  :P Seriously, let's reserve that word for the real thing, not valued members sharing opinions.

I understand the wariness with all things Facebook. But the Real Blues group has some good people sharing stuff. I just really have trouble with the format for my blues surfing so rarely look at it. It's good for posting photos and links and one or two sentence responses, and that's about it, IMO.

(You also have to wonder about what happens when Facebook decides to change formats, group structures, whatever, as they are wont to do. No control over your information. Hope someone's archiving the good stuff.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:27:49 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 02:03:51 AM »
Clearly, nothing is as good as good ole Weenie Campbell, but the Real Blues Group also features urban blues. As Andrew mentions, some knowledgable people are posting on there.

I'm not sure why they have elected to use Facebook as their template, but maybe it's easier than setting up an autonomous forum.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 05:12:30 AM »
I'm pretty wary of Facebook myself but I signed up for the Real Blues Forum and I'm glad I did. Particuarly valuable is the "Files" section which contains impossible to find blues articles plus dozens of scanned issued of Blues Unlimited. It looks like they plan on scanning the entire run. There are also scans of Blues Link magazine.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 05:52:54 AM »
I'm also a member and fan of RBF ...doesn't keep me away from WC three or four times a day as well! However, as I'm also a big fan of grumpy posts, hats off to Rivers for this year's grumpiest !

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline CF

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 08:49:09 AM »
 . . . as I said, The-Place-We-Shall-Not-Name has UNRELEASED RECORDINGS & RARE DOCUMENTS (FOR FREE) of revival era material from Sam Chatmon (a bunch of unreleased Chatmon recordings), Son House, Bukka White, etc. I don't hang out at WC cause I like the wallpaper (although it's very nice & makes the hanging more enjoyable), I'm here for the content. The aforementioned locations are heavy on cherry content.

Apparently the less than a minute snippets we have of the the two newly discovered Blake tunes are the parts of the records that sound the best. Tefteller has mentioned that the remainder of the tracks are pretty beaten up but Nevins gave 'em a listen & he's sure he can do something with them. I won't dare mention where I've learned this information.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »
I'm also a member and fan of RBF ...doesn't keep me away from WC three or four times a day as well! However, as I'm also a big fan of grumpy posts, hats off to Rivers for this year's grumpiest !

You want grumpy posts, join the Banjo Hangout!  >:D

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 11:53:30 AM »
Has blueshome been posting at the banjo hangout again?

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
I realized my irritation was over the top. Thanks for understanding my occasional grumpiness. I just thought if I see another post boosting the FB group in this topic I would scream. So I looked at the thread, and sure enough, I screamed!  >:(

The only issue here really is taking this thread off topic, where it still remains. Does anyone think we should open another thread and move the posts that have nothing to do with the Blind Blake record to it?

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2012, 04:30:40 PM »
I would suggest a thread in the "down the dirt road" section, for fb and / or social media. We already bashed MySpace some time ago, so it could fit in there as well! ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Pan

I would like to add, that even if mentioning other forums is considered irritating, I feel that if the information I'm sharing is coming from one of those, it would be polite to mention it, at least. My intention is not to spam these, bur rather come clear where I got the information from.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:37:47 PM by Pan »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal