collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Uncle Sam leave me alone, I got to watch these pretty women while their other men is gone - Bukka White "Army Blues"

Author Topic: Chord substitution  (Read 928 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Chord substitution
« on: May 20, 2011, 11:37:34 AM »
Now here's a question.

Is or can chord substitution be used for reasons of technique as well as for tonal purposes? For example in simplistic terms (ignoring the minor and seventh variants) it is commonplace to use either the III or VI in place of the I chord. So, accepting there will be some tonal changes which on fast tune may or not be that discernable, is it permisissable to use those alternate chords purely to get around the fretboard quicker and with more accuracy?

Bear in mind I play lap style where dyads tend to be de rigure and on occasion with lengthy fretboard moves that cannot easily be avoided, so to have a little more colour in the chord palette would be a great help. I started on this train of thought after making a start on a brisk ragtime sequence which involved several two-chord bars.

Thoughts gentleman..
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: Chord substitution
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
What do your ears tell you?

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Chord substitution
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 02:08:33 PM »

That is the real question, depends on the song sometimes it works and others not.

Jimmy Rushing must have had the same problem when he sang  - Well sometimes I do then again I don't, sometimes I will then again I won't!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal