collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Some are like jelly beans, so cute and sweet. I carry carbolic acid for every one of them I meet - Clara Smith, Jelly Bean Blues

Author Topic: Blind Willie Harris  (Read 3960 times)

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
Blind Willie Harris
« on: August 26, 2004, 08:00:33 AM »
Just heard this guy on the juke - Where He Leads Me I Will Follow - I'd bet serious money that this is the same guy as Richard "Rabbit" Brown.  Anybody know anything about BWH?

Offline Montgomery

• Howdy!
Re: Blind Willie Harris
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 08:58:51 AM »
In Dixon/Godrich, it is suggested that they are the same person.  They both recorded in New Orleans, but not in the same year.  What CD are the Harris tracks on?

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 09:14:29 AM »
I caught it on the juke - the CD associated with it was the Goodbye, Babylon set.  Don't have it, so I can't check, but I wonder of there's anything written about him in the notes to the set.

Offline Montgomery

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 09:43:16 AM »
Ah yes...I do have this set but had not listened to this disc yet (still making my way through the Macon set):
"Two swallows don't make a summer either, but the resemblance of Willie Harris' voice and guitar to those of Richard 'Rabbit' Brown suggest the existence of a local shared troubadour style.  The voice on this track and the accompanying side Does Jesus Care is strikingly similar to the 5 titles recorded by Brown in New Orleans in March 1927.  The is B.W.H's only rcording."
(this track was recorded in New Orleans in 1929).

After listening, I would agree that it is Brown.

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 12:43:07 PM »
Interesting that they chose to hedge on it in the notes...  Thanks for the quote!

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 10:39:15 PM »
BWH Voc. 1273. One of those records that I have a nice copy of which I listen to regularly. Both sides beautiful and touching. Little doubt that this is Richard Rabbit Brown

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 10:55:08 PM »
Welcome to the board Hawk!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 08:54:27 AM »
After a four year lull I'm reviving this topic due to someone present here drawing my attention to something Tony Russell noted in Jazz & Blues magazine (February 1972) when reviewing the first microgroove reissue of Harris's "Does Jesus Care" on the compilation The Gospel Truth (Paltram TLP1002). Tony comments:

"Blind Willie Harris sings the lesser-known "Does Jesus Care" to his guitar. Coming from New Orleans, it is perhaps not surprising that he sings like Rabbit Brown, but it surprises me how VERY, like Brown he sounds."

Ho, hum......  ::)

Offline jostber

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 06:42:59 AM »
Some more discussion on this on another forum here:

http://blindman.15.forumer.com/a/richard-39rabbit39-brown-amp-blind-willie-harris_post2529.html

Also a fine piece here on Rabbit Brown by Kevin S.Fontenot:

http://www.bluesworld.com/RabbitBrown.html

Where is that sixth Brown song?

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 03:04:51 PM »
I will now download the Blind Willie Harris song from Amazon.com and let you know what I think. This is very interesting!
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline jostber

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 07:57:15 AM »
It is possible to listen to listen to both Rabbit Brown and Blind Willie Harris on this site. Sounding pretty similar, wonderful music both songs.

http://www.thebluestrail.com/artists/rabbit.htm

Offline jostber

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 02:47:11 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal