collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It wasn't so much that I would ask them how to play. A lot of the stuff I knew from old records.... What they usually talked to me about was how to conduct myself as a person. They tried to keep me away from all the things they went through. They tried to keep my nose clean, and they succeeded pretty good - Jerry Ricks, on time spent with the Old Ones, interview in Blues Review No. 46, April 1999

Author Topic: Blues Images 2016 Calendar  (Read 2011 times)

Offline jostber

Re: Blues Images 2016 Calendar
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 09:37:10 AM »
It says that on the front of the Blues Images calendar as well (Hattie Hyde aka Hattie Hart).

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 09:56:29 AM »
So what? An earlier Tefteller calendar identified two cuts sung by Washboard Sam as being Freddie Spruell cuts.  Just because something is in print doesn't make it correct.  Use your ears.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:59:55 AM by Johnm »

Offline Lignite

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 10:06:23 AM »
Hear! Hear!

Offline CF

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
John Tefteller has had this to say (earlier this month) about the Hattie Hart identification:

As far as Hattie Hyde, that apparently is a mistake and misunderstanding on my part. I ASSUMED that Hattie Hyde was Hattie Hart and that Will Shade etc. from the Memphis Jug Band was behind her. Other experts, whom I respect and trust, tell me that I am wrong. They say she is indeed Hattie Hyde and that the record was recorded in Dallas, not Memphis and that there is no concrete information as to who the back up musicians are. I really hate getting something like this wrong, and it is quite embarassing...

PS I think the reasoning behind those earlier Washboard Sam cuts being identified as Spruell ones were because he was the guitarist on the record. Why the guitarist & not the 'name' vocalist is credited on the CD is odd.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:18:32 AM by CF »
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal