collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Don't play what's there, play what's not there - Miles Davis

Author Topic: Missing liner notes for Tampa Red Bluebird Recordings '34-'36  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Doc Brainerd

Just received a used copy of Tampa Red: The Complete Bluebird Recordings, 1934-1936 (RCA Bluebird Blues & heritage Series). I was surprised to find there wasn't an insert booklet or liner notes of any sort included.

Does anybody know whether this release had a booklet? If so - and if anybody out there has it - I'd be very interested in acquiring a scanned copy (or digital file) of the liner notes and/or credits.

A little spendy for a used cd, but I'm enjoying it.

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Missing liner notes for Tampa Red Bluebird Recordings '34-'36
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 11:28:03 PM »
The Tampa Red entry in Robert Ford's Blues Bibliography lists this on page 945 so it definitely had a booklet:

Humphrey, Mark. Tampa Red: The Bluebird Recordings, 1934-1936. USA: RCA 66721-2, 1996.

Being authored by Humphrey it's probably worth the read.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:54:33 AM »
Doc: Sent you a PM re: this.

Offline Doc Brainerd

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation, BH. Insert booklets can be hit and miss. I just looked up Mr. Humphrey's credits on AllMusic and look forward to the reviewing his insights on Tampa's legacy.
Stuart, thanks for the offer. I've sent you a PM.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 06:43:06 AM »
This was a while back but I have the original CD & liner notes if you still need them, can scan.

Wasn't that release supposed to be just the first of a 'complete' series? I wonder what happened. The discs sound good.

I see the CD is for sale on Amazon for $368.78! Must be a typo, right?  :P

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 07:50:38 AM »
Those Bluebirds have become pricey since going out of print. I used to see them all the time in the used CD shops. Should have bought them all, I'd be rich.

Offline Doc Brainerd

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 01:38:45 AM »
I appreciate for the offer, Rivers! However, Stuart already kindly scanned the insert for me (Thanks again, Stuart!)
Wow, $370?! The 'like new' used copy I bought through Amazon back at the end of March only set me back $34  - including shipping.
I've been fairly pleased with the TR compilation as well as with the other volumes I've obtained in the series (Jazz Gillum and Sonny Boy Williamson). The sound is pretty good on just about all the cuts. The Jazz Gillum collection is probably the best of the lot for its variety of songs and great accompaniment.

Offline lowery66

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 09:10:54 AM »
Is there any way one of you guys would be willing to send me a scanned copy of those liner notes as well?  I'm missing them and tracked down this thread.  Thanks!
John

Offline misterjones

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 11:01:11 AM »
Amazon sellers can be insane.  I once saw a copy of a CD listed for $3,600.  I think these sellers believe there's a chance Bill Gates is going to be surfing the web looking for out-of-print CDs.

The most I ever paid for a single CD was about $50.  (The soundtrack for "Chinatown", which I copied.  I then re-sold the original for about $75.)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »
Is there any way one of you guys would be willing to send me a scanned copy of those liner notes as well?  I'm missing them and tracked down this thread.  Thanks!
John

Happy to oblige if you still are without notes, let me know.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal