collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

"What do you think of when you play? What goes through your mind? What are your real feelings?" "I don't know. Yeah - that I'm underpaid" - Fictional guitarist Emmett Ray in Sweet and Lowdown

Author Topic: Lake Howard Lyrics  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Lake Howard Lyrics
« on: April 26, 2016, 04:31:55 PM »
Hi all,
Lake Howard was a North Carolina (I think) singer and guitarist who recorded some titles in the mid-'30s.  I was introduced to his music by Lightnin' Wells, whom I'm sure could fill in some biographical information on Howard.  Lake Howard was a really strong thumb lead player, and recorded a variety of material: religious, novelty, blues, and country "heart" songs.  "Get Your Head In Here" has him working in a kind of nutty mode, sort of like some of the Cedar Creek Sheik's songs.  He accompanied himself out of C position in standard tuning for the song.

INTRO

Took my girl for an auto ride, says, "Young man, have you ever tried
REFRAIN: To get your head in here?  Get your head in here?
I'm tellin' you, people, get your head in here."

SOLO

Took my girl to the picture show, says, "Young man, don't you go so slow,
REFRAIN: Get your head in here.  Get your head in here.
I'm tellin' you, people, get your head in here."

SOLO

I got a girl in Kalamazoo, she don't wear no, yes she do!
REFRAIN: Get your head in here, get your head in here
I'm tellin' you, people, get your head in here

SOLO

Took my girl out the other night, I met a man who wanted to fight

SOLO

Saw my girl, settin' on a stump, made my heart go bumpity-bump

SOLO

All best,
Johnm

Offline Lignite

Re: Lake Howard Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 09:06:11 PM »
Lake Howard is here covering a tune that was the first release by another North Carolina group the Tobacco Tags. Lake Howard was from Deep Run in Eastern North Carolina. He was discovered along with the Cauley Family by J.B. Long who later brought Blind Boy Fuller, Gary Davis, Sonny Terry and others to national attention. Lake Howard, the Cauleys and Mitchell's Christian Singers were the winners of a local talent contest sponsored by Mr. Long at a tobacco warehouse in Kinston,N.C. and their prize was a recording session with the A.R.C. record group in 1934. Lake Howard's nickname was "The Singing Farmer". I met Lake Howard's son years ago and he said he still owned his Dad's guitar. He said he always wanted to own a Martin but could never afford one so he stuck with his National. Here is a pretty good copy of Lake playing Get Your Head In Here compliments of Cary Ginnell; http://picosong.com/KVGc

Offline Lignite

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 09:28:38 PM »
Here's the version of Get Your Head In Here by the Three Tobacco Tags from their first recording session in Charlotte, NC in 1931. The group consisted of ex-mill workers Luke Baucom, Reid Summey and George Wade and their main instrumentation on their early recordings were two mandolins and a guitar. Their repertoire was vast and covered novelties, sacred songs, blues songs, jug band and sentimental numbers as well as some swing and recent pop tunes.  They recorded over 100 sides for Victor Bluebird between 1931-1941 but were known mainly in North Carolina and Virginia and would best be described as a regional act.  http://picosong.com/KVGN

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 06:20:05 AM »
Thanks very much, Lightnin', for the additional information on Lake Howard and the Three Tobacco Tags, as well as the links to their renditions of "Get Your Head In Here".  That fleshes out things considerably.  It's really great the way you know the history of the music and musicians in your part of the world.  Thanks for sharing that.
All best,
John

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:43:28 PM »
Hi all,
For "New Chattanooga Mama", Lake Howard was again playing a driving thumb lead out of C position.  His phrase lengths were a bit eccentric, especially in his solos, and I think it would make the song a challenge to play with the kind of drive and flow that he had.  I'm missing a spoken comment he makes in between the final verse and the refrain that follows it.

SOLO

I went to see my girl, in a Southern town
Said, "Daddy, let's raise the windows, put the shades all down."
REFRAIN: Chattanooga mama, your papa's coming to town
Gonna have you, sweet mama, if I have to run you down

SOLO

As I walk into your parlor, put my hat upon your rack
You can telephone your husband, "Ain't no use in coming back."

SOLO

If you want me to, sweet mama, I'll just tell you what I'll do
I will bring my old guitar and play those mean old blues for you

SOLO

Take you in my arms, sweet mama, I'll be good and treat you right
We will fall asleep together, bid the whole darn world "Good night." (Spoken: Whatta you say, baby?)

SOLO

Edited May 5 to pick up addition from banjochris

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:07:40 AM by Johnm »

Offline banjochris

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 05:59:29 PM »
Sounds to me like he's saying "Whatta you say, baby?" real fast.
Chris

Offline Lignite

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 07:20:42 PM »
New Chattanooga Mama is the other side of the recording of Get You Head In Here by Lake Howard from 1934 and like that song is also a cover. The original, Chattanooga Mama was recorded  by the Allen Brothers of Chattanooga in 1931. Lake Howard changed only a few verses for his version. This tune seems to be related to same song family as Deep Ellum Blues, Ginseng Blues and others.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 08:06:23 AM »
Thanks, Chris, for catching that spoken aside in "New Chattanooga Mama", and thanks, Lightnin' for the additional information on the origins of the song.
All best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal