collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We were all committed in one way or another. How many demonstrations did we do to get Pete Seeger on TV? It was all part of the view that America should change. We didn’t sing On Top of Old Smokey because it was a great song, we sang it because we wanted change - Sam Charters, http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/more-than-just-folk-a-fond-look-back-at-early-60s-new-york-from-those-who-were-there/2013/12/19/db5eae50-6356-11e3-a373-0f9f2d1c2b61_story.html

Author Topic: Mic-fright  (Read 745 times)

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
Mic-fright
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:06:30 AM »
I don't get stage-fright and have no qualms about making video recordings, but I often get unnerved by audio-only recording.
Does anyone else get mic-fright?
I think it's because a staged or filmed performance engages two senses, you can talk to the audience and even video carries certain "live" attributes. whereas audio is just sound, so the performance has to be perfect. Maybe it's also because I'm my own harshest critic (okay, there may be some ladies who'd gladly lay claim to that particular title), so I'm just never satisfied and the process becomes very frustrating and time-consuming.
I'm making an album, by the way. Another problem is that just as I think I've got the list of songs just right, I write another one that I think is better. Perhaps I need a producer, or at least someone with a discerning pair of ears to assist with the whole thing.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Mic-fright
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »
Hi Andy,
You might find it helpful to have a disinterested (not uninterested) listener in on the recording situation whose opinion you trust and value, just because I think it is often hard to listen to the over-all feel of a take when you're in the midst of the process.  My own tendency at such times is to listen for mistakes or their absence, which is a far cry from listening for a desirable musical feel.  Having someone there who knows your music well enough to gauge when you've really done a solid take, or as solid as you're likely to get on a particular day can be very helpful.  Best of luck with your recording.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 01:02:29 PM »
Maybe set up a camera or two and shoot the whole session? As a side benefit you'd also have visuals available to go with the audio. Audio is equipment intensive enough and video adds another layer of gear, lighting, set etc., but if you could rope-in some unpaid help like a media student perhaps, you could set it up and just leave the cameras rolling.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 11:33:12 PM »
I think you can overcome this by remembering that this recording will be the document by which you will be judged FOR ALL ETERNITY! >:D
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
:-p

Heh heh. And true to boot...

Do you have a recorder? You might try recording  frequently, make it less "special".

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 07:26:21 AM »
Thanks all.
I have a Tascam PocketStudio, it's pretty good soundwise, has excellent onboard mics etc, but dealing with its arcane operating system and tiny little unilluminated screen makes using it a long and involved process. I'll talk to some of the local blues cartel on Friday, see whether I can find a friendly auditor/producer.

Tags: recording 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal