collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She said "look'a here daddy, don't you raise no sand. I don't ask you 'bout no woman, don't ask me 'bout my man" - Mance Lipscomb, Meet Me In The Bottom, Arhoolie Texas Songster #4 Live at The Cabale

Author Topic: Dreamin' Wild  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Dreamin' Wild
« on: November 25, 2019, 07:33:58 AM »
A friend of mine recently sent me this article.  It is quite an entertaining and amazing true story and I thought you weenies might enjoy it too.  You can listen to the album on Spotify, maybe other services.

"Privately made records enjoy a cult following among collectors, but few are as legendary as Donnie and Joe Emerson’s 1979 LP Dreamin’ Wild."

https://longreads.com/2019/01/17/fruitland/

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Dreamin' Wild
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 03:47:46 PM »
Thanks for posting this, John. You're right--It's quite the amazing true story. I'm familiar with the part of Washington where they grew up--And the show at the Mercury Lounge must have been something. Good to know that they stopped in to McSorley's while they were in town, although the place hasn't been the same since they had to stop serving Liederkranz.

Too bad things never really fell into place for Donnie, but unrecognized and under appreciated talent is nothing new, nor is it unique to him. Hopefully, he was able to get some satisfaction from the recoginition that finally came his way.

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 01:02:02 PM »
This was a good read. I've enjoyed listening to a few of those self-released albums over the years, my favorite being "Dandelions" by the Children of Sunshine- also an interesting story.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 01:59:01 PM »
It also reminded me of John Fahey's early mythological excursions where he would slip his LPs into the bins of record stores and perhaps thrift shops as well. I bet at the time he wasn't aware that these were the initial  steps that kicked off a genre.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal