collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sugar babe, I'm tired of you. Ain't your honey but the way you do - Mance Lipscomb, Sugar Babe

Author Topic: Cold Woman Blues by Blind Joe Reynolds (Full Tutorial)  (Read 790 times)

Offline blah148

• Ploddings
Cold Woman Blues by Blind Joe Reynolds (Full Tutorial)
« on: July 16, 2020, 10:20:33 PM »
Hey all,

Before all this craziness began, I made this tutorial video on Blind Joe Reynolds' great Cold Woman Blues, which I thought I'd throw on here. (Also, not sure if this will embed properly, being a Vimeo video..)

For all those people who are fans of Reynolds' edgy, almost "white-noise" guitar style (in the way that he often strums the open strings as he sings, and also with the looseness of his picking hand), I hope this is helpful! He's got some nice bottleneck moves on this one.

Here's more info on the song
Tuning: Vestapol / Open D (D-A-D-F#-A-D from fattest to thinnest)
Year of Recording: November 1930

And here's more info on Reynolds himself
Discography: https://www.wirz.de/music/reynolds.htm
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Joe_Reynolds

If you've got any questions or suggestions when it comes to the lesson, please feel free to let me know!

If you don't like plugs, then feel free to end here! ..just wanted to mention that I've been working on this site www.ploddings.com where the dream is to make lessons for all prominent pre-war blues artist's discographies.. so far, I've gotten through Robert Petway, Geeshie Wiley, Blind Joe Reynolds, Peg Leg Howell's solo guitar recordings, Belton Sutherland, and King Solomon Hill full recordings. There's also partial coverage of Blind Lemon Jefferson, Robert Johnson, Charley Patton, Son House, and others! Thanks! :)
Delta Blues Lessons: www.youtube.com/blah148 | www.ploddings.com

Epitaph on a blues musician's tombstone: "I didn't wake up this morning"

Offline Thomas8

• oooh well well.
Re: Cold Woman Blues by Blind Joe Reynolds (Full Tutorial)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 03:42:30 PM »
Great Stuff! You must've put a lot of work into learning all these songs and styles, Much respect to you sir!

Offline Steven Sims

• G'day.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 04:33:22 AM »
Thanks, I like the way you break it down. Even if I don't try to replicate the entire song (working from home so little time even now ... sigh), there are some fine moves in there.
I'll acknowledge I done wrong. Heheh.

Offline blah148

• Ploddings
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 07:19:42 PM »
Great Stuff! You must've put a lot of work into learning all these songs and styles, Much respect to you sir!

Thanks very much! It's been a fun process and I'm always glad to do it. Nice to play these old, obscure blues tunes

Thanks, I like the way you break it down. Even if I don't try to replicate the entire song (working from home so little time even now ... sigh), there are some fine moves in there.

Glad to hear it's of some help! Yea I agree, there are a couple moves he does which are nice to kind of take note of, even for a historical point of view in terms of lick development. He was definitely a nifty player and not so known compared to the quality of his recordings
Delta Blues Lessons: www.youtube.com/blah148 | www.ploddings.com

Epitaph on a blues musician's tombstone: "I didn't wake up this morning"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal