collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Meh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh." "Man, take that goat outta here" - Jelly Roll Morton and His Red Hot Peppers, "Billy Goat Stomp"

Author Topic: Snooks Eaglin passes  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Snooks Eaglin passes
« on: February 18, 2009, 02:37:24 PM »
I just came across these very sad news on the Blindmans' Blues Forum.

Apparently Snooks Eaglin died this Wednesday afternoon, Here's a New Orleans Times - Picayene article: http://blog.nola.com/keithspera/2009/02/snooks_eaglin_19372009.html

The world has lost a true original.

[edited x rivers to get the link to work]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:21:08 PM by Rivers »

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Re: Snooks Eaglin passes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 03:54:28 PM »

Make sure y'all read that article, it gives somewhat of an idea of the intensity of Mr. Eaglin, who some people called "certifiably crazy" in a loving way. It has a picture of Bonnie Raitt helping him change a string on his guitar during a Rock and Bowl gig.

Also remember that the first LP he made that was all-Snooks is on some people's lists as one of the top ten best guitar albums of all-time, and he was only 22 when it was recorded. He was 72 when he went over to the other side, and he had been recording since the 1950s. He's also listed as a side man on dozens of R&B hits that came out of New Orleans in the late 50s and early 60s, you'd be amazed to find out how successful he was as an early studio musician.

In the last couple of months of his life he needed lots of blood transfusions, which are expensive. As far as I know, his family will still be in debt for those transfusions. You have an opportunity to help with that by donating blood and asking that your donation be applied to the Snooks Eaglin account, I do believe it is with the East Jefferson General Hospital in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana. I'll double-check on that.

Thanks, Snooks.

Lindy

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 04:05:43 PM »

I couldn't confirm the hospital name, but I just got an email with this info:

"Those who wish to help the Eaglins can contact his daughter Stacy Hunter at PO Box 10871, New Orleans, LA 70181 to see how to do so."

Lindy

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:10:36 PM »
What a wonderful musician Snooks was! I get the impression that he dearly loved his mother and his wife. It's sad that he passed away on his mother's birthday.

I'll never forget hearing him do "Careless Love" for the first time, off of the album that made him a guitar legend.

He will be dearly missed.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 02:07:57 AM »
Also remember that the first LP he made that was all-Snooks is on some people's lists as one of the top ten best guitar albums of all-time, and he was only 22 when it was recorded. He was 72 when he went over to the other side, and he had been recording since the 1950s. He's also listed as a side man on dozens of R&B hits that came out of New Orleans in the late 50s and early 60s, you'd be amazed to find out how successful he was as an early studio musician.
http://www.wirz.de/music/eaglfrm.htm will give some idea of his recorded output.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:46:51 AM »
Here's a snap I took in 1990 when Snooks and George Porter appeared at the Town & Country Club in North London. Click to enlarge.

Offline Roscoe

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 07:59:26 AM »
snooks played with sugar boy crawford and the cane cutters on his big hit jock-a-mo. a great no r& b band. snook told me that in the old days sometimes he got paid in red beans and rice.
roscoe

Offline jostber

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 10:14:04 AM »
Snooks was a wonderful artist all over. Love his music. RIP.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 01:53:48 PM »

From New Orleans, where they know how to put the fun into funeral . . .

http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2009/02/video_snooks_eaglin_remembered.html

Tags: Snooks Eaglin 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal