collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'll vote for Skip - Skip James, on politics

Author Topic: Which guitar would you bring to the workshop?  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Blue Poodle

• Kill it, Kid.
Which guitar would you bring to the workshop?
« on: July 20, 2004, 07:27:55 PM »
The choice is between a late 1930's Kalamazoo KG-14 and a 2001 Martin OM-16GT.? The Kalamazoo is a cool old blues guitar and it sounds great with a slide.? On the other hand, the Martin is a little easier on the left hand to play.? I'm afraid that if I try to play the Kalamazoo and it's chunky V-neck for extended periods at the workshop, my left hand will seize up into a painful, frozen claw (this has never actually happened to me from playing guitar, but advancing years have made this a distinct possibility).

I know what the sensible thing to do is and I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do.? My question is, what would you do?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 04:38:38 PM by waxwing »
All the world loves a lover, but a lover doesn't always love love.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Which guitar would you bring to the workshop?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 09:05:54 PM »
Hi Tim,

The sensible thing to do is bring both.  :D  But if you can only bring one, I'd bring the easy to play Martin. I like a short scale guitar with medium strings, but usually switch to lights early in the week - its like playing rubber bands.  I don't care how it sounds or if it's cool, only that I can play it all week!  (it's hell to grow old.. ;) )  Look forward to meeting you.

cheers,
slack

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 09:33:19 PM »
Hi Tim,
I will second John D.'s advice.  The Kalamazoo may garner more style points, but who cares, if you're hurting?  It's important to remember the musician's oath--"First, do no harm."  I will see you out there.
All best,
Johnm

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 11:37:23 AM »
I will bring two, an old Yamaha 000 that has been set up for slide and my 000-28EC.    Last year I also brought my National but these days I actually prefer the Yamaha for slide work.  I agree with John.  I think I will slap some lights (with a 15 on top) on the Martin to be kind to my fingertips. 

Last year I certainly saw alot of wonderful guitars and I look forward to seeing more this year.  BTW I am on the lookout to buy a Ron Phillips Parlor so let me know if you have one for sale.

See you all soon.

Offline Bluesygirl

• I've Fallen And I Can't Reach My Guitar
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 02:15:50 PM »
How many people took their precious guitars on airplanes for the PT festival in 2004? What was your experience like? Did you have to check your guitars? Did you utilize any special flight cases to protect them?  I'm thinking ahead to 2005 and it sure would be easier to just bring a 3/4 scale travel guitar. However, it certainly wouldn't sound as good. 
Bg

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 02:50:19 PM »
Hi BG, folks do all kinds of things - I think it depends on your comfort level.  I used to hassle trying to get a guitar on board and in the overhead bin - mostly unsuccessfully - and  now I just check guitars (and some precious ones at that) and have had no problem.  You just need to take some precautions.  Other folks buy $450 Calton cases.  Actually, there was a very reasonably priced flight case being shown around PT last year - looked like a coffin - and cannot remember what the name was (anyone?) - they had Eddie Pennington stand on top of the thing several times (he's 400+ lbs) to demonstrate - I think they were about $150 if I recall.  ALL kinds of guitars at PT - part of the fun is bringing a guitar (or two, or mandolin, banjo, ukes, washboards, bones, tamborines, kazoos etc etc - it's a real mess ;) ).

Cheers,
slack

steveo

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 03:24:51 PM »
I think the case you are talking about can be found at www.casextreme.com

They are very tough as mentioned.

steveo

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 03:31:41 PM »
That's it Stevo - "The Clam"  - thanks!

Offline Bluesygirl

• I've Fallen And I Can't Reach My Guitar
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 10:18:30 PM »
I checked "The Clam" case at Case Extreme's website and Calton cases as well.  The Calton case is nice but I didn't see any for $450! (Where can you find a good deal on these?). The Clam seems indestructible but it looks big and heavy; may be too much for me as I'm rather petite. However, the price is right.
Bg 

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 07:20:03 AM »
HI BG,

Well, goes to show how out of it I am - the price has gone up since I priced them 10 years ago!  :P  For $635 you can buy a pretty nice guitar to take a chance on.  According to the website, the Clams weigh 12 lbs, which may be less than the Caltons (they are heavy) - and for $25 you can kit the wheel kit that lets you roll it around - so maybe that would be an option.  And then for the extra $250 you save, you could almost buy a small bodied Seagull guitar on eBay. ;)  The Clams are pretty darn bulky I'll admit.  You could probably find one to look at in the LA area?

Cheers,
slack

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 07:59:14 AM »
Despite the occasional horror stories, I think it's pretty safe overall. Guitars go through special handling/oversized luggage systems and I have never had a problem. It really depends on the guitar I guess. If I had a vintage or pricey Martin or Gibson I wanted to travel with then I'd buy a Calton or Clam anyway. Probably a Calton. But I don't and just use a arched-top hardshell case without incident so far. From LAX to SEATAC should be OK. Perhaps Jed will weigh in, since he regularly brings a nice gitfiddle in an ordinary hardshell case.

The nice thing about the Clam is the price. And they're not heavy (at least when empty). They're tougher to get into a car full of luggage and other Weenies though.  If you have a $1000 guitar, it's probably the way to go. $2000 or more, or a unique and favorite guitar that would be nigh impossible to replace, I'd buy a Calton, or get a cheap Larrivee guitar and bring that instead (that's what I do).

Overall, I'd say you don't need to worry too much. Until of course the guitar goes missing for a few hours. That's one thing the airports are pretty good at and no case will save you.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 08:31:28 AM »
Overall, I'd say you don't need to worry too much. Until of course the guitar goes missing for a few hours. That's one thing the airports are pretty good at and no case will save you.

Yeah, I agree with you here, I worry more about them losing the guitar completely than damage.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 09:19:53 AM »
I worry more about them losing the guitar completely than damage.

Isn't there some new rule that checked baggage can't have locks of any kind?  That freaks me out...  I've always checked my guitars with a regular hard case and never had a problem, but the idea of checking an unlocked case doesn't exactly give me warm fuzzies.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 09:43:37 AM »
sn't there some new rule that checked baggage can't have locks of any kind?  That freaks me out...  I've always checked my guitars with a regular hard case and never had a problem, but the idea of checking an unlocked case doesn't exactly give me warm fuzzies.

Yes, that is another concern, the case must be unlocked for inspection, so the latches coming open and the guitar falling out could be a problem.  :o  I used to duct tape the latches so they would not open accidently from the handling... which is no longer very effective. So I now wrap a bungy chord around the waist of the case -  inspectors can easily un-bungi, open it, re-bungi

cheers,
slack

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 01:51:52 PM »
I place a small caribiner or d-snap in place of a lock on the locking latch, a safety pin will also work. I also safety pin my zippers together on my check-in bags and have yet to find them not pinned back together at baggage claim.

I booked my flights between San Jose and Seattle on Alaska Airlines. On the way to Seattle I gate checked my guitar and it was outside the plane door when we disembarked.
In Seattle on the way home the ticket agent suggested I carry my 000-15S on. When going through the security checkpoint the TSA worker refused to let my guitar stay on the conveyor and hand carried it to the end saying if she had a guitar she wouldn't want it getting rattled around on the equipment. The gate agent told me I could pre-board since I had a musical instrument, so carry-on has it's benefits.
The nice thing about Alaska over Southwest is the overheads are larger (at least on the flights I've been on) and Alaska offers reserved seating. The bad points are I think Alaska is a bit pricier and they REALLY overbook.

Last year was my first year at PT and I'm glad I brought my "good" guitar. This year the main problem will be compensating for the weight of my new "good" guitar on one side of the plane.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal