collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

A.G. Smith, mighty man, build a boat that he couldn't understand. Name it a name of god in a tin, middle of the sea, He bowled it in - Blind Willie Johnson, God Moves On The Water

Author Topic: Miller's Breakdown  (Read 145460 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Miller's Breakdown
« Reply #2280 on: April 11, 2021, 09:00:22 AM »
No, Phil...I got it wrong again....

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2281 on: April 17, 2021, 06:58:40 AM »
Hi all,
It's been a little while since there has been a new response on the two Charles Caldwell puzzlers, so I'll post the answers.

For "Movin' Out Movin" In":
   * His playing position was A position in standard tuning
   * He could have played the signature lick at the beginning of the song in a number of places. I believe he began it with a slide to the fifth fret of the second string on the + of beat three, followed by a triplet on beat four in which he went from the third fret of the second string to the first fret, finishing off at the second fret of the third string, while keeping a broken triplet monotonic bass going on the open fifth string. This is what Dadfad had in his response. The lick could also have been played as Dave described it.
   * The repeated notes at :27--:28 are the fifth frets of the first two strings and the open third string, as Dave described them.

For "Down The Road of Love"
   * His playing position was E position in standard tuning
   * His vocal response lick starts by hitting the second fret of the fourth string while strumming the first three strings in an E chord at the base of the neck in a + 1 + 2 rhythm, entering on the + of beat four, with the + of beat four and beat 1 tied. On the + of beat two he hits the open sixth string, and on 3 + he goes from the second fret of the fifth string to the open fourth string while droning on the open third string in the treble. The lick then repeats several times.
   * The later lick he starts by playing the second fret of the fourth string, hammering into it twice and pulling off to the open fourth string after the second hammer, then going from the third fret of the sixth string to the second fret of the fifth string and finishing up at the open fourth string.

I hope folks enjoyed the songs, and thanks to those who participated. I'll look for some more tunes to post.

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:25:55 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2282 on: May 07, 2021, 01:15:00 PM »
Hi all,
It's been a little while since we've had some new puzzlers, and I've found a couple of good ones, I think, so here goes. The first puzzler is from the transplanted Texas blues singer and guitarist, Thomas Shaw, who lived most of his life in the San Diego, California area. The song is his "Working Man Blues", and here it is:

The questions on Thomas Shaw's "Working Man Blues" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did he use to play the song?
   * Where did he fret what he played over the IV chord in his verse one accompaniment?
   * Where did he fret the interlude from 1:18--1:24?

The second puzzler is from Florida musician Emmett Murray, and it is his rendition of "Dig Myself A Hole". Here it is:

The questions on Emmett Murray's "Dig Myself A Hole" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did he use to play the song?
   * Where did he fret his IV and V chords in his verse one accompaniment?
   * Where did he fret his I chord, in the main, for the first four bars of his verse two accompaniment?

Please use only your ears and your guitars to arrive at your answers, and please don't post any answers before 8:00 AM your time on Tuesday, May 11. Answer as many questions as you're comfortable answering--one or all of them, or anything between those two extremes. Thanks for your participation and I hope that you enjoy the songs.
All best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal