collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Your friends think I'm a devil and you are an innocent child. But baby, I know different. I know you ain't - Slim Harpo, title unknown

Author Topic: Furry Lewis guitar on eBay  (Read 5218 times)

Offline MTJ3

• Howdy!
Re: Furry Lewis guitar on eBay
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 03:03:01 PM »
I have a vague recollection that this item was offered on eBay or elsewhere several years ago.  Whether an instrument is that owned or played by a particular musician need to be left completely to speculation.  There was an article in an issue of Vintage Guitarfrom about 3 years ago in which the author positively identified an instrument as Charlie Christian's based on a comparion of the grain of the wood as shown in photos of Charlie and an instrument that the author had acquired.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Furry Lewis guitar on eBay
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 07:32:54 PM »

The one one the album covers and the one on ebay is, I think, a Gibson B-25N or and LG-3 (I suspect the former). The waist appears narrower than a J-50.

You're dead right Alex. I looked it up in Gibson fab. flattop guitars book and there's a pic on page 98 of Furry playing it, caption is "Memphis blues star Furry Lewis and his B-25".

The Gibson logo on Stefan's photos, which according to the book dates it as mid to late 60s, has disappeared from the pickguard in this photo. Further info from the book, the LG-2 became the B-25 in 1962 after 20 years in production, and the LG-3 became the B-25N in 1963. You learn something new every day.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 07:33:58 PM by Rivers »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal