collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I picked his head, I picked his feet, I picked his body but it wasn't fit to eat - Luke Jordan, Pick Poor Robin Clean

Author Topic: Sui generis: Koerner, Ray, Glover  (Read 883 times)

Offline EyesNotChops

• Howdy!
Sui generis: Koerner, Ray, Glover
« on: January 01, 2018, 08:17:10 AM »
I've listened, and listened, and listened to Spider John Koerner's work from the 60's and early 70's; his work with Little Sun Glover and David Snaker Ray as well as solo. I'm at a loss to know where his/their style comes from.  It seems to be straight-ahead acoustic country blues but to my (limited, granted) knowledge, I know of no antecedents. 

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
Re: Sui generis: Koerner, Ray, Glover
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 08:43:07 AM »
  To my ear,  I've always thought that I heard a lot of Leadbelly in Koerner's playing and song selection.

Offline EyesNotChops

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 05:41:09 PM »
Thanks, the only one I could think of was Leadbelly as well but, for me, the main similarities were only the 12 string guitar and the emphasis on rhythm.  When you hear someone like Geof Muldaur or Happy Traum, it's possible to draw a line back to their antecedents but I just can't do that with Koerner in those recordings--Perhaps it's just a personal thing, though.  Thanks again.

Offline harriet

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 04:34:38 AM »
Here's a short documentary on them by Tony Glover with interviews  which I hope you can see - might help give a better understanding...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:36:26 AM by harriet »

Offline EyesNotChops

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 06:52:41 AM »
Harriet, thanks.  From the video, it really does sound like they kind of stumbled on a style that was theirs.  I realize this is true of many of our contemporary revivalist/originators (I can't quite find the words, but Happy and Eric Bibb come to mind at 7:45a) have absorbed what came before and come up with their own sound.  The difference for me is that--again to my ear--K,R, & G seem to have no direct antecedents although they sound so "authentic."  The lesson for me, as I think this through (and if I'm right), is that us white guys who feel deeply for the music can sound like we sound and not worry about "cultural appropriation," and lack of authenticity.  The key is respect and feeling--or is that too deep for the beginning of a work day?

Anyhow, thanks again.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »
The YT video Harriet posted a link to is an excerpt from the longer "Blues, Rags & Hollers The Koerner, Ray & Glover Story."

https://www.amazon.com/Blues-Rags-Hollers-Koerner-Glover/dp/B000R348V2

It's definitely worth watching--and owning--if you're a fan.

Offline harriet

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 06:13:02 PM »
You're Welcome EyesNotChops - I've enjoyed the little what I've heard of them from a long time ago, and am glad to be reminded.  Best, Harriet

Offline EyesNotChops

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 08:37:40 AM »
Alas, clicked on Amazon link and the video is no longer available.

Offline harriet

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »
You could try ebay - I found it there - says two in stock - I don't think the google listing for Barnes and Nobles is accurate, its an in store item if so in any case.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Blues-Rags-Hollers-The-Koerner-Ray-Glover-Story-DVD/331563042442?epid=1705709563&hash=item4d32b2868a:g:CHwAAOSwKrhVX-iQ

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:28:11 AM by harriet »

Offline EyesNotChops

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 06:26:14 PM »
Done.  Thanks.

Tags: Koerner history 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal