collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The penciled message on his hat, too, suggested some of the delight with life that has given to his blues their warmth and vitality: KID FURRY - Have Gun Will Travel - Sam Charters in the booklet accompanying the 1960 Folkways LP

Author Topic: "Southern Blues" - Mandolin & Ukulele  (Read 1583 times)

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
"Southern Blues" - Mandolin & Ukulele
« on: July 21, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
The Side Street Steppers (Tennessee Tom C. & Ms. Vera Victoria) perform a simplified version of "Southern Blues" on mandolin and ukulele at Republic Coffee in Memphis, Tennessee on Friday, July 17, 2009.  We got this tune from the Adam Tanner recording "Rare Rags & String Band Blues."

I really don't do this tune justice - Adam's version is crooked and cool and full of neat runs and fills.  Still, it sure is fun to play!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: "Southern Blues" - Mandolin & Ukulele
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:35:27 AM »
I like it, I like it!

Seeing videos of Ms. Vera (and Eden from the East River String Band), I think I've got it all wrong as a ukulele player - I seem to be the wrong shape and the beard somehow doesn't fit in.  I clearly don't have the legs for it ...

However, as the mad one who insisted on playing more tenor ukulele than guitar at the Euro-Weenie Weekend in Lyndhurst in April, I feel a certain amount of encouragement from these ladies.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Rockdale

Re: "Southern Blues" - Mandolin & Ukulele
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:33:15 AM »
The song sounds good. A friend of mine lives up in Memphis and used to work at that coffee shop for awhile.

Tags: mandolin  ukulele 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal