collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Thought for the day... dump a spoonful of dirt in your digital stuff for increased blues ambiance... if that doesn't suit you, a little oil will give it that greasy sound with the pops and scratches... - John Heric, audio tip of the day

Author Topic: Virgil Childers - "Somebody Stole My Jane"  (Read 952 times)

Offline RoloTie

Virgil Childers - "Somebody Stole My Jane"
« on: December 17, 2021, 01:53:05 PM »
I was recently turned on to the recordings of Virgil Childers after reading about him in John Miller's incredible "East Coast Fingerstyle Blues" book. Of his six recordings, (mentioned briefly by Mr. Miller in his book as well), I was impressed most by "Somebody Stole My Jane", a unique jazz flavored piece. I've set out trying to learn the song and wanted to share what I got so far looking for any help or corrections.

I'm very confident that the song is played out of standard tuning C position with a capo on the second fret. Starting at the beginning of the track (following the brief bass walk down):

The first eight bars begin with a walk-up bass line played over two bars of a C chord, with upstrokes of the few highest strings on the beats between the bass notes. This is followed by a slightly different pattern over one bar of A7, then D7, G7, and back to C. I've included a PDF tab file of this, because I'm not sure how to write out the rhythm otherwise (ignore the tempo).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:57:58 PM by RoloTie »
Just as well to get ready, you've got to die.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Virgil Childers - "Somebody Stole My Jane"
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 03:09:12 PM »
Hi RoloTie,
Welcome to Weenie Campbell! I'm glad you're enjoying "East Coast Fingerstyle Blues Guitar". I mapped out the whole progression for "Somebody Stole My Jane" in the Virgil Childers Lyrics thread, at: https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=7907.msg63855#msg63855 . If you go there you'll see the progression. I hope you have fun with it. Incidentally, if you click on "tags" at the top of the page and go to the tag listing (not the cloud), you'll find topics and by clicking on the name you want there, you'll be able to see all of the threads that were tagged with that topic.
All best,
Johnm

Offline RoloTie

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 04:11:28 PM »
Oh wow! That's just what I was looking for, thanks Mr. Miller.
Just as well to get ready, you've got to die.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 04:32:56 PM »
Hi RoloTie,
I"m glad to help. It was brought to my attention by waxwing that, in fact, the intro progression replaces the the verse progression starting at the 25th bar of the solo rather than the 21st bar as I had it in the post I linked. The solo also ends up being 44 bars rather than 40 bars as a result of that correction. I'll correct the original post, as well.
All best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal