collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Life have gotten miserable, seem like no more happiness to be made - Little Buddy Doyle, Hard Scufflin' Blues

Author Topic: 12 Years A Slave  (Read 565 times)

Offline Laura

12 Years A Slave
« on: May 22, 2014, 02:33:52 PM »
Apologies if this has already been done..I'm very slow on the uptake here..but I've been meaning to watch this film for ages and I finally had the chance to last night.

I had read about the score being excellent and as I've been listening some to the Alan Lomax prisonblues/ work songs I was excited to hear what the composer had done by way of these in the movie. 

There are only a couple of work songs and the spiritual "Roll Jordan Roll" all of which I thought were arranged so well.  Overall the entire score was excellent, focusing naturally on the fiddle of the lead character.

I must admit to not having read the book.  I read "Roots" years and years ago and felt I'd possibly filled my quota for tales of slavery but I'm definitely going to read it now.

Well I wanted to recommend this as the film totally got under my skin, uncomfortable and intense but compelling and done so well.  Going to be thinking about it for days!

This is a direct clip from the movie where the lead character, Solomon, begins to resign to his fate of being a slave forever and joins in with the song at the grave of a fellow slave.

Offline Mike Brosnan

Re: 12 Years A Slave
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 04:24:54 PM »
Definitely one of the best (and most emotionally intense) movies I've seen in quite a while. It was very sad but not all that surprising to read that this movie made much more money in Europe than it did in the U.S.

Tags: movie 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal