collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A musicianer, he's not got as many men friends as he has women, and sometimes the only men friends he has is other musicianers, or a man who ain't got no woman - David Honeyboy Edwards, from his bio

Author Topic: Republic Resonator guitars.. anyone have any experience with them?  (Read 24062 times)

Offline sands4us

http://www.republicguitars.com/parlorsizeresolian.html

I think I may drop the hammer on one of these little Resonator parlors. So far Frank has be responsive and flexible with my requests. I am considering the Steel Body Polished Nickel Lightly Sandblasted Resolian Parlor with the star and moon cover and a Schatten TC pickup installed.

Anyone had any experience with ANY of the Republic Resonator Guitars? I would love to hear the good and the bad before I call him with my credit card info! Any other experienced insights into my purchase?

Stephen

Offline unezrider

Re: Republic Resonator guitars.. anyone have any experience with them?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:52:01 PM »
hello friend,
sadly, i don't have any experience with these resos, but i have read some about them. seem to be decent, from what i hear. but if you haven't already, you may want to look up michaelmesser.co.uk he has a couple of new resos that just came out, a duolian style one, & a style 'o' one. from my understanding, these are made in the same shop as the republics, but to different specs. & from the sound clips, they sound pretty good, too.
i know this doesn't answer your question, but something that may help - or not ;) with your decision.
good luck with it. in my experience a good reso is hard to find.
chris

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:04:03 PM by unezrider »
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline sands4us

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:23:57 AM »
Thanks so much for your input. The more information I have the better my decision making will be.

I have looked at those online. The do look interesting and seem to be trying to fill the niche between the low end reso and the high end Nationals etc. The Lightning model looks just beautiful from the pics on his website!

I am particularly interested in the Republic Resolian because of the parlor size of the instrument. An old shoulder injury can make a larger body guitar painful to wrap my arm around for long periods of time. Parlor sized guitars have been very helpful.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Stephen

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:53:03 AM »
There's really no such thing as a large body sized resonator. Yeah, the "parlor" sized ones are a little smaller, but the normal sized ones are about the size of a 00 guitar which is often referred to as a parlor guitar. No resonator even approaches a dred, or even a 000, really, and their body depth is much less than any wood guitar. You should definitely get out and play some before you make a decision like that sight unseen.

They are, however, much heavier.

All for now.
John C
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 10:09:28 AM »
...yes - I have a Republic tricone and it's extremely good value. It too came with a Schatten pickup which (IMO) is the best reso pickup I've heard. Frank is really good to deal with too. The Michael Messer instruments are also great value for money. Unsurprisingly they come from the same workshop in China as Republic guitars. For further researches I'd recommend you go here for info on the MM guitars:

http://www.guitarseminars.com/gs/viewtopic.php?t=2299&sid=85770502f5aa97a4405b7d3fc89f9d16

and here for info and video clips of the Republic instrumetn you're interested in:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 10:16:54 AM by Slack »

Offline sands4us

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »
Thanks Prof Scratchy!

I went ahead and talked to Frank about the resolian parlor and next thing I know he has my credit card info ( I blame Over-The-Phone-Hypnotism ..... at least that is what I will tell my Wife)

I am glad to hear your good experience with and recommendation of the Schatten pick up on the reso. In for a penny ....in for a pound so I went ahead and had Frank install one....(ummmm I mean his powers of hypnotism made me include the pick up....yah..that's the ticket).

I may eventually regret it but I went with the shiny one instead of a reso-relic. Guess I will need to learn to enjoy polishing my Parlor.

Waxwing John...Thanks for you input also. I am sure you are right about Resonator Guitar sizes...but this thing is just so cute like a little bug in a rug......

Stephen

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 07:46:34 PM »
Well, actually, Ron Phillips, West coast builder, once told me he gets his best sound from his parlor sized bodies. I think he said something like 18" was the optimum length for a reso body. Don't quote me, as I'm speaking from memory, but Del Rey had him build one for her.

I'm sure you'll have fun with it, especially if it is your first reso.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

cmudrockmac

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 08:24:54 PM »
I am new here & just ordered a Republic 12 fret steel body resonator. All I can talk about here, so far, is the Customer Service. I have never experienced anything like it, Frank the owner, treated me like family.
  I had owned an original National type O,but was forced to sell it, when my fortunes changed. After doing alot of "bang for the buck" research, I contacted Republic guitars looking for a used bargain. Imagine my suprise to hear from the companies owner,who took the time to help a financially chalenged person. Frank directed me to his friend Slim of www.deltabluesguitar.com who occaisionally has a demo or discontinued model. I was seeking a 12 fret, single resonator, steel bodied duolian type instument. I spoke with Slim on the phone, he just happened to have a discontinued model for sale that looks very similar to a National Delphi in a silver metalic finish - just the thing. Slim made me an attractive offer I could not refuse, which included a case & his instructive DVD's.
  as a retired person on a tiny pension, I'm not used to being welcomed by any sort of merchant,much less the OWNERS of companys. Both of these Texas gentlemen, totally blew me away. If my purchase is anywhere close to the quality of the treatment I've just received - I will be one happy geezer.  stay tuned.....

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 01:30:47 AM »
We look forward to a full report - and possibly pictures eventually.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 06:57:59 AM »
Welcome to WeenieCampbell, Mac.

cmudrockmac

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 11:10:55 PM »
Thank you for the Welcome. My Steel Republic arrived. First impression was that Slim made a mistake & sent me a National Delphi. Fit & finish are all I hoped for. There is no Republic decal on the headstock. Frank is sending me one N/C. I think the Republic logo is handsome. The Finish is metalic silver. the Biscuit is Walnut, with an Ebony capped Maple bridge. The Neck is ebonized & smooth, with excellent proportions, dark woodgrain is visible on the Headstock. Nut appears to be Bone. Rosewood Fretboard sports a Mother of Pearl Star & then the tradional dots. There are also tiny shell dots on the UP side of the neck. Tuners are open geared, and look like those seen on Nationals, but with grey pearl plastic knobs.  As the silver finish wears, I think it will probably age like old Nickel.
  The sound is fabulous, more than I hoped for. Sounds as good as my old National. If only I can live long enough to play it as well as it can be played. I can't imagine ever outgrowing this. It is so wonderful to own a fine NEW instrument, with none of the issues of an antique. A lot can be said about CLEAN & FRESH with no broken or chronically loose screws. Sometimes Charisma is over rated & unnecessarily expensive. I am totally Delighted with my good fortune, & look forward to accompanying those complaining voices in my head.   Best regards to all

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 01:12:12 AM »
Guitar news is always welcome here and news of a satisfied new owner is even better still. Enjoy your instrument.
Barbecue Bob

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »
No excuse now, you'd better start posting on the back porch  :-X
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 01:29:50 AM »
Just in case you ever get fed up with your new guitar, here's an interesting use to which it can be put....My pal Ritchie was on holiday last week in a cottage in Donegal. For some reason the TV was in the kitchen, and the satellite receiver was in the living room. How to change channels using the remote control? Fortunately Ritchie had taken along his Michael Messer Lightning guitar (made in the same factory as the Republics) - By placing the shiny guitar at a 45 degree angle in the doorway, he found he could bounce the remote control signal off the back of it and thus change channels without engaging in the pesky physical exercise that manual channel changing would have required....

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 01:49:57 AM »
Interesting report, Prof. Scratchy.

Maybe Marshcat could find a good use for all his shiny Nationals?  Rent them out to Sky TV as a relay station maybe??  >:D  Is this the reason he's disparaging about my humble wooden instruments?

Of course, Son House commented that a National was good for rendering somebody unconscious if a fight broke out in a juke joint and I remember Bob Brozman once said he saw a National with a bullet hole in the front, but not the back, therefore saving the player... 

If you were stranded on the proverbial desert island, a National would make a good frying pan (with slight, albeit brutal, adaption), whereas a wooden body would only be good for firewood - no, no delete that last bit, I've fallen into my own trap.  :)
Barbecue Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal