collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Boys it's alright to be poor, but it's so unconvenient nowadays - Dr Clayton, Walking With The Blues

Author Topic: Is Blind Boy Fuller really easier?  (Read 9561 times)

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
Re: Is Blind Boy Fuller really easier?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2006, 11:35:13 AM »
Yeah, there are some "creative" tabs in the Grossman Ragtime book (not to confuse our non-native-English members, I mean inaccurate).  Won't hold you back, though.  That book was very instrumental in getting me into this music, and I love it (book and music).  And I have HUGE respect, praise and gratitude for anyone who transcribed songs from actual 78s, 10 or 20 years before the personal computer was even invented!  I think the contribution of "rediscovery" trancriptionists is monumental.  Doesn't stop me from using the PC and fast fourier transform to make it a bit easier  ;)

That said, the Piccolo Rag in it is pretty good, as I recall, although he didn't transcribe all parts of the tune if I recall correctly.  As Waxwing says, cue it up and have go!  The hardest part of any transcription process is at the beginning - nailing down the key and playing position (this is the step where you'll wish capoes had never been invented!).  Once you've got that, most of it falls into place pretty quickly - it's those elusive bits than are the really fun part, though.

BTW, I think the slowdown aspect of programs like transcribe is somewhat overrated - it is, to me, far more helpful that the program allow you to isolate and loop the passage you are trying to get...

Can you tell I'm procrastinating getting back to work???

tom

Offline dave stott

• Howdy!
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2006, 01:22:46 PM »
WOO HOO

my order has been placed for the book with the transcriptions...

my ears simply can not comprehend keys and chords from 78 RPM records or remakes.... when you add in variations in the tuning of the guitar ( ie... half /full step low or high) my brain gets all confused..

Thanks everyone !!!!

Dave

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2006, 02:03:54 PM »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT