collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Blues is for gut-bucket people who run around with only half their clothes on - Reverend Gary Davis

Author Topic: Blues in Minor/With Minor Chords  (Read 43930 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Re: Blues in Minor/With Minor Chords
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2009, 02:18:50 PM »
Not maybe CB strictly speaking, but I just heard a song called "Delta Bound" by the Harlem Hamfats, with a female vocalist, on the Juke.
It's Rosetta Howard who had as her accompanists the Hamfats for three Decca sessions in 1937/8.

Thanks Bunker Hill.  ;)

Cheers

Pan

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2009, 08:29:35 AM »
One that just played on the Juke: Papa Charlie Jackson's "Papa's Lawdy Lawdy Blues" features a couple minor chords, I believe.

Offline hortig78rpm

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2009, 02:27:54 AM »
hello

all gys forgett mostly the piano-players who often use minior beginnings ( cow cos`s alabama strut, roosevelt sykes: thanks but no thanks) or one time greatest minor blues:
lil johnson: that bonus done got thru
montana taylor : i cant sleep

regards
mike

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2009, 09:14:06 AM »
Ma Rainey's "Down in the Basement" features minor harmonies/chords. After an intro style verse, the structure and harmony of the song is very reminiscent of Tampa Red's "If You Want Me to Love You".

Also features musical saw playing in minor.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2010, 09:59:45 AM »
Another early blues in a minor key: Blind Richard Yates aka Uncle Charlie Richards singing "Sore Bunion Blues", one of those sore feet songs that seem to have been popular among blues singers. Recorded in 1927, it's on Document's Male Blues of the Twenties Volume 1, DOCD-5482. Piano accompaniment by Louis Hooper.

Bunions, bunions, won't you hear my plea
Bunions, bunions, won't you hear my plea
Stop your achin', let my poor feet be

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2010, 10:06:06 AM »
And it turns out Sore Bunion Blues was recorded first by Monette Moore in December 1924. It's the same song but her version backed by the Choo Choo Jazzers is not actually done in a minor key like Blind Richard Yates did his 3 years later. He was probably looking to give it more gravitas.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:09:55 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2010, 06:14:55 PM »
Hi all,
Libba Cotten's "Fox Chase" is in A minor, as is Etta Baker's instrumental "Alabama Wagon Wheel".
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2011, 09:26:05 PM »
Hi all,
The McGee Brothers version of "Salty Dog Blues" has A minor and D minor chords in it, and Sam McGee's "Franklin Blues" has a D minor chord in it.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »
Hi all,
Yank Rachell's version of "Matchbox", from his Blue Goose album, has a minor IV chord, a la Lemon's "Wartime Blues".
all best,
Johnm

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2011, 08:05:50 PM »
Walter Davis uses what sounds like a repeating inversion of a IV minor chord resolving to a I chord in What Have I Done Wrong, a duet with Henry Townsend. Boy, what a tune.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2011, 03:19:58 PM »
Hi all

I'm just listening to Bull City Red doing "Black Woman And Poison Blues", an 8 bar blues in the Crow Jane style, and I think he plays a minor V chord to the second half of the 7th bar. I think he's playing from the E -position capoed or tuned up to around G, and the chord shape I'm hearing is something like  X-2-0-2-0-0, so with the high E string open, technically this would be a "V minor 11th" chord, if I'm not mistaken?  It's a pretty sound.

You can hear the song here (track 14).

http://www.simfy.de/artists/640740-Bull-City-Red/albums/490012-Blues-And-Gospel-From-The-Eastern-States-1935-1944/tracks/13872433

Cheers

Pan

Edited to add: He seems to be playing the same progression on his "Mississippi River" too, although there appears to be some confusion wether he or Blind Boy Fuller is playing the guitar. Does anyone know of BBF using the V minor chord on another tune?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:31:12 PM by Pan »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2012, 05:16:48 PM »
The 2012 Tefteller calendar CD includes The Harum Scarums who do Come On In (There Ain't nobody Here But Me). It's a rag with Big Bill Broonzy on guitar playing real good, Mozelle Anderson vocals, Georgia Tom Dorsey on piano & vocals.

Verse starts on Am, with a really nice change up to to A7, finishing up as a C rag. It's a whole lot of fun and definitely worth stealing.

[later: reading back through this thread I see Johnm and Uncle Bud beat me to it! Glad we have similar tastes: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=892.msg27257#msg27257]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:29:18 PM by Rivers »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »
Pianist Harold Holiday recorded as Black Boy Shine and his "Married Man Blues" uses I minor and IV minor chords, resolving the usual way through a V chord to a major I chord.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:03:05 AM by uncle bud »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2012, 07:31:25 AM »
Jelly Roll Anderson's "I.C. Blues" uses minor chords.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2012, 06:32:30 PM »
The Mississippi Sheiks negotiate between the relative keys of D-minor and F-major in their song "That's It".

Cheers

Pan

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal