collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...in a car wreck in a little town called Mound Bayou Miss. I was visiting my mother. I drove 700 miles from Chicago. I was okay but on the return I fell asleep at the wheel. I was playing again the next day though. I never gave up. It cut my arm clean off and left it in the highway. Then I walked 2.5 miles to a girlfriend and picked up my arm and brought it on to Clarksdale. When the ambulance men come with stretchers, I was in bed smoking, so I drove back in front with the guys. I was in hospital for three days only. For a while I still had pain at night. As you know, fever rises at night and that's how it was - Big John Wrencher on losing his arm

Author Topic: Free blues download from the State of Florida  (Read 1275 times)

Offline don o

• Don O.'s DFW Blues Website
Free blues download from the State of Florida
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:04:51 AM »
I haven't seen this mentioned before, so my apologizies if I missed it.

We just received a blues CD at KNON from the State of Florida's Division of Library and Information Services, Florida Memory Project.  It has 17 tracks of blues selected from hundreds of hours of recordings between 1977 and 2002 at the Florida Folk Festival.  Apparantly they are in the process of digitizing a lot of material and have released this disc as promotion for the project.  There is a lot of good music from folks like Roy Bookbinder, Cephas and Wiggins, Etta Baker, Johnny Shines, and many more.  The CD is also available as a free zip file download.

The CD is titled "Where the Palm Trees Shake at Night" and if you click on the CD cover on their audio page it takes you right to a link where you can listen to MP3s or download the whole CD. 

http://floridamemory.com/collections/folklife/audio.cfm

There's a lot of other cool stuff to peruse on their site, so go when you have some free time.  :)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Free blues download from the State of Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:33:14 AM »
That's a great site! Several hours' worth of browsing and listening there. Thanks for the link, Don.

Offline Mmaddox

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 06:04:17 AM »
Hey thanks. I just downloaded the whole album. I’ve been a Bookbinder fan since highschool in the 70s. I play a lot of of songs but it’s a poor imitation. His deadpan delivery and his timing and his impeccable technique put him in a class of his own. Roy toyed with slide , like on this album, for a while but gave it up. I’ve seen hm at October and spring fest at Suwannee several times. I’m currently working in his version of Rag Mama. Not as easy as it sounds!

Offline harriet

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 06:04:17 PM »
Just downloaded Blues and Gospel from the site, featuring a guitarist, Robert Williams and family. Looking forward to listening to it. Thanks.

https://www.floridamemory.com/discover/audio/playlists/playlist6.php

Offline sofingraw

• Howdy!
    • South Florida Country Blues Guitar
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 06:47:55 PM »
That Johnny Shines set from 1977 is absolutely on fire! 🤩 From everything I’ve heard, Johnny rarely if ever disappointed. This was no exception.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal