collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Frank Foster was playing a street concert from the Jazzmobile in Harlem. He called for a blues in B-flat. A young tenor player began to play "out" from the first chorus, playing sounds that had no relationship to the harmonic progression or rhythmic setting. Foster stopped him. "What are you doing?" "Just playing what I feel. "Well, feel something in B-flat, mother****er"

Author Topic: Weenie Juke Radio to Close at the End of February  (Read 20936 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Weenie Juke Radio to Close at the End of February
« on: February 24, 2014, 07:03:09 AM »
Dear Weenies, Friends and other Dignitaries,

I regret to inform you that Weenie Juke Radio will be closing down at the end of this month.  Weenie Juke has been 'on the wire' (mostly) for almost 10 years.   Our current licensing entity, Loud City announced earlier this month that they were shutting down by the end of the month.  While Loud City has also announced that they are trying to negotiate for someone to continue the operation, I've decided to take this opportunity, regardless of the negotiated outcome, to close the Juke. 

Many factors weigh in this decision.  The various licensing entities and the creation of the DCMA make it difficult for hobbyist radio operators to follow the many, rules.  These rules are really aimed at the large operators and in large part take the fun out of it for the small operator.   

While we have some intense interest in Weenie Juke from a few of our die hard fans, in general, there is not much listening traffic on Weenie Juke.  I think this is due to a large number of sources where old country blues can either be obtained or listened to.  I'm continually amazed at the number of country blues tunes on youtube for example.  Pandora, Spotify and other custom stations now carry country blues. 

We do plan on "moth balling" the Juke in the event that circumstances change (as we did previously for about a year, while waiting for the licensing situation to shake out) and the Juke will be passed on to whomever or whatever (if anyone) may want to continue the site when the Steering Committee has grown too old and grouchy. 

The Juke has been fun - many people have supported and contributed to the Juke in many ways, but I'd like to especially thank Rivers for his technical work on the great set of Juke web pages and of course Richard, who was the delightful and humorous voice of Weenie Juke.  Sad as it may be, let's all raise our glasses and bid a fond farewell!

Thank you all for your understanding!

Slack and the Steering Committee.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Weenie Juke Radio to Close at the End of February
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 07:11:43 AM »
Weenie Juke has been a great resource and it will be sad to see it go. That said, if the regulators make it impossible to be fun for those that run it, I can thoroughly understand the decision to pull it. Thanks for making it available for the number of years it's been online.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:24:53 AM »
Very sad- I echo Scratchy's sentiments.

How about a montage of Richard's best  / most absurd announcments? ;)

Offline CF

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 12:51:28 PM »
Too bad, sorry to see it go. The Juke was a great resource to hear songs that I did not have a copy of several years ago. But yes, there is so much country blues content online now.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »
Damn - four days to listen to everything I don't know ....  :(

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 02:13:10 PM »
Thanks so much for the work on it. I didn't listen often, but it was great when I did!

Dave

Offline eric

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 02:44:36 PM »
Thanks to the Weenie Brain Trust for keeping this forum going.  It's a wonderful resource.
--
Eric

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 03:02:06 PM »
The Juke will be greatly missed.  :(

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 03:16:20 PM »
What a drag!  I've lately been in a sort of artist search mode on YouTube and the likes, but I was hoping to be able to return to the Juke after a while.  :'(

Thank you guys for all the great work you've done with the Juke. I think it, along with this forum, has been the most valuable tool in my remote country blues education!

Pan

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 03:27:29 PM »
Bummer- I had to voluntarily give up the daily Juke a while back so it wouldn't be completely banned due to bandwidth issues- I could listen during the off hours.

I'm gonna miss all the Country Blues knowledge I gleaned from the Weenie Juke, I guess I'll have to search for another source.

AND..... thanks to everybody who contributed to the great selection of music that was featured.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 08:34:39 PM »
Wow that's terrible, understandable, but terrible. I was actually listening to it more recently. While there is a lot of stuff on youtube it can't be used as a real radio type stream. And where else can one find the depth of programing knowledge that we have here? Maybe we can find some university that wants to take it on. Lets poke around for options.
Perhaps we could just rename all the songs and use made up names for the artists?  :'(
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 09:13:25 PM »
I'm sad to see the Juke go, and bitter about the reasons it has to go. I suspect many stations that play small, independent artists will be disappearing. When not just a station but a whole licensing entity decides to throw in the towel thanks to pressure from entities like SoundExchange and the RIAA, then the corporate pablum peddlers are winning. This is what they wanted all along, and as Slack notes, they have made it difficult for any small operator to meet their demands.

I suppose some of the internet radio traffic will go to services like Spotify, which has a pretty poor royalties model from what I understand. Not sure what the answer really is, but part of it surely should have been to allow space for small operators without requiring the ridiculous hoops one must jump through just to exist.

The music business is truly a mess. But so is everything else these days, so no shock here.

edited to add: Another example of what's going on - http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/22084-net-neutrality-died-with-the-comcast-netflix-deal - "If you're thinking of starting a net-based business in your garage, good luck. If you're not an oligarch, you won't have a chance."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:26:18 PM by uncle bud »

Offline Zoharbareket

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 11:01:59 PM »
what a shame!

:(

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 11:26:45 PM »
I'm sorry to see the Juke go, but it's understandable, given how difficult the modern mess has made things--things that should be easy and simple. Imagine that you couldn't let your friends listen to your record collection unless you filled out the required paperwork and coughed up dough for every spin of a platter. In essence, that's what it amounts to for the small outfits like WC.

Thanks to Slack, Rivers and the everyone else who made the Juke the quality source for all things Country Blues over the years. It will be missed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:23:58 AM by Stuart »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 02:06:18 AM »
I echo all that has been said and would just like to add my thanks to all concerned for their excellent work on the Juke.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 03:40:16 AM »
I echo all that has been said and would just like to add my thanks to all concerned for their excellent work on the Juke.

Agreed.  Thanks Slack, Rivers, Richard, et. al.

I'd just like to add that hearing artists I'd never really connected with come up randomly on the Juke gradually brought me around to appreciating them - Leadbelly, Blind Lemon, The Mississippi Sheiks among others.  And with appreciation came purchases, so the Juke was a sales tool, too.  I realize it's sales of artists the "industry" doesn't care about, and on a level small enough that the industry doesn't care about that, either.  But multiply me by the dozens of Juke listeners, and you've got...  something the industry doesn't care about.   :(

With the end of the Juke and the probable demise of Roots & Rhythm, I'm feeling a bit depressed right about now.

Slack, do you know the date and time we'll stop broadcasting?  I'd like to raise a parting glass at the appropriate moment.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 06:07:32 AM »
Thank you all.

DJ, how about 9 eastern time?

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 07:56:51 AM »
A final announcement from Richard? 

" oh bugger. The doobry's fallen off the juke player. Well that's done it. Bloody computers.  Awful isn't it.  Well bye anyway. As the actress said to the bishop".

Offline Suzy T

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 09:42:52 AM »
So sorry that it has to be this way, but understandable.  THANK YOU for all you've done to keep the Juke going -- and I'm going to hope that maybe it can come out of mothballs some day!

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 09:47:02 AM »
how about 9 eastern time?

9 pm eastern time on the 28th?  I'll be there with bourbon in hand.  (I hope you didn't mean 9am.  They won't let us drink at work.    :o  )

As for a final announcement from Richard, I favor "And up next on the steam-driven Victrola...   Damn!  Out of coal!"

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »
Thanks!

Offline philzy

• Fender Bender
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 09:26:27 AM »
Too bad.  Heard some great music the short time I was listening.
Thanks for the listening pleasure.

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 11:11:26 AM »
Very sad indeed - the Juke was a great resource for all blues fans.  Having said that I do understand the reasons - many thanks for the chance to listen guys.

Here is hoping it can be resurrected at some point in the future !!

Steve

Offline beljum

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »
Hats off to the Weenie Juke Brain Trust for their commitment and outstanding job through the years!

Signed,
 A die hard listener

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 05:18:07 PM »
Thank you all.

We'll go out with this fitting tribute - suggested by Uncle Bud.

I Will Do My Last Singing - Rev Gary Davis at Newport
Farewell Daddy Blues - Ma Rainey
Fare Thee Well - Joe Callicott
Bye Bye Blues - Tommy Johnson
I Shall Not Be Moved - Charley Patton

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 06:08:50 PM »
I've got the bourbon in front of me, dj...

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 06:22:44 PM »
Well, that's it.  Thanks for the playlist, uncle bud.  Thanks for everything, Slack. 

And thanks for drinking with me, uncle bud.     

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 06:28:20 PM »
I changed the order a bit UB, but it was a nice send off.  Thanks for the selections.  Perfect.

Cheers fellars... a glass of merlot here (after a couple of beers)... although I think I'll go pour a little drambuie... damn, it is such great music.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 07:28:51 PM »
Gentlemen, I bow my head!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 10:04:04 PM »
A toast to the end of an era - four fingers of Jameson's 12. Thanks fellas.

Sent from Mr. Page's iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 07:09:37 AM »
We here at O'Muck Enterprises INC. Regret the passing of our dearly beloved Juke. Good luck on your journey through the solar system and beyond Juke content! And much gratitude to all those who worked to make it work. :'(
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »
A toast to the end of an era - four fingers of Jameson's 12. Thanks fellas.

Surely not your own fingers. That'd be half the bottle.

Offline garyweeks

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 06:09:54 PM »
Bummer.  It has been great.

Offline Zoharbareket

• Howdy!
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »
Thank you for the education!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 08:55:36 AM »
Ditto what everyone else has said already. Big thanks to everyone involved. The world is a better place due to all your efforts!

Offline kodiak

• Howdy!
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 05:07:16 AM »
It was great. Sorry to see it go.Any suggestions of sites to take it's place? Thanks

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »
Apologies for not chipping in due to being immersed in a new project. Thanks for all the nice comments. It was great fun to be involved in the recent upgrades. I was highly sceptical of the juke concept at the beginning. Luckily Slack and co overruled my objections.

On a brighter note, the key word here is 'mothballed'. If conditions change in the future such that we can consider cranking up the juke again, in whatever form, we will certainly start discussing.

Offline kodiak

• Howdy!
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2014, 03:57:23 AM »
Thanks Rivers and Company for the great radio.

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 06:54:14 PM »
Very sad to hear this, I used to listen to it when I could and it's a great loss as it was withoud a shred of doubt the greatest radio channel on planet earth, there was nothing even remotely as good. Here there is on 2 hour show a week and I cant even get reception for it, also it is way to blues/rock oriented and country blues classics may get played once every dozen or so weeks. Weenie Juke had no competition, it stood out like a young Elle McPherson wearing a bikini in a sea of shaggy bearded coalminers in the outback.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal