collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Every minute I could I banged away, hunting chords on the old upright," Carmichael recalled; "there are no sounds more irritating than unfound music" - Hoagy Carmichael, early days in Bloomington, Indiana

Author Topic: Other Musical Interests on YouTube  (Read 71512 times)

Offline eric

Yasmin Williams
« Reply #345 on: January 25, 2021, 09:52:50 AM »
--
Eric

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Re: Other Musical Interests on YouTube
« Reply #346 on: January 25, 2021, 01:18:20 PM »
Amazing, Eric, I was just about to post this one from Yasmin:

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #347 on: February 05, 2021, 06:30:18 PM »
Hi all,
If you enjoy Bluegrass gospel singing, go to 16:06 on this excerpt of an old Wilburn Brothers TV show, and see Jimmy Martin and the Sunny Mountain Boys show how to do it. And as a bonus, immediately prior to that, Curley Chalker and Jimmy Capps do a great instrumental number. Jimmy Martin is featured earlier in the show, too, on "Sunny Side of the Mountain". Boy, could he sing, and he always had a good band.

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:36:44 PM by Johnm »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2021, 07:24:03 PM »
Holy Cow John!  I was not familiar with the Wilbur Bros TV show!   I'll pursue more.  So many discussion points here.... It's amazing that such talented tasty musicians are  so devoid of taste in every other category... haha.

'So kick it again, again, again, and maybe you'll kill my love for you' (speaking of her heart).  I gather Peggy Sue has not had it easy.

Damn... Jimmy Martin... wouldn't we all love to be able to sing like that!

Thanks for the post John!

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #349 on: February 05, 2021, 10:12:16 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed that, John! Jimmy Martin is a particular favorite of mine, and it's always worth seeing Jimmy Capps and the amazing Curly Chalker--wow! Some amazing clothes on that segment, aren't there?

Offline eric

« Reply #350 on: February 06, 2021, 06:49:08 AM »
Great stuff, love that brother harmony.  These programs and others like the Porter Waggoner and Dolly Parton Show appear from time to time on broadcast TV retro channels and they're great.  Anyone remember Midwestern Hayride?
--
Eric

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #351 on: February 06, 2021, 07:05:34 AM »
It's amazing that such talented tasty musicians are  so devoid of taste in every other category

My thoughts exactly.  I loved the music, but more than once I had to close my eyes to shut out those clothes.

Thanks for posting that, John.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #352 on: February 06, 2021, 10:48:07 AM »
Thanks for the post, John--Great stuff. As for the clothes, it's the "uniform" or "costume," if you will. It's part of the act--and the trade--and perhaps expected. IIRC, Nudie Cohn was the tailor for many of the performers.

It's not something I would wear, but I don't play the game, so I don't make the rules. Maybe if I was in the game, it would be a different story. That's show biz...

Offline MarkC

« Reply #353 on: February 06, 2021, 05:25:22 PM »
Sticking with gospel, but coming at it from a different direction - “Walk Around,” an early one by The Soul Stirrers:

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #354 on: February 14, 2021, 11:17:26 AM »
Obituary for an extraordinary classical music guitarist who was skilled in genres all over the map:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/jorge-morel-revered-classical-guitarist-and-composer-dies-at-89/2021/02/14/5ad75120-6d43-11eb-9f80-3d7646ce1bc0_story.html

Here's the composition that he was arguably best known for:

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #355 on: February 15, 2021, 04:10:59 AM »
I've been enjoying the work of Aziza Brahim for a few weeks now. Apart from the music, check out the stunning photograph on the cover of her latest album "Sahari".

"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #356 on: March 05, 2021, 05:51:42 PM »
I met Danny Barnes once in the parking area at a small festival in the Texas Hill Country. I didn't know who he was when I saw him tinkering with his banjo which was still in its open case in the trunk of his car. I strolled by and admired the instrument, it was very nice looking.

He immediately strapped it on and started telling me all about it, where it came from, what he really really liked about it. Then he started playing. Holy cow! My jaw hit the floor. Danny is a natural genius, and considering he didn't know me from a bar of soap, one of the nicest people I've ever met. If you don't know Danny's music, you should!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #357 on: March 05, 2021, 09:10:52 PM »
Great stuff! ...and clawhammer on a resonator banjo is definitely a different vibe.   And my banjo is just sitting there...

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #358 on: March 05, 2021, 09:55:28 PM »
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Danny's energy transcends how we think about the instrument. On that note, check this out:

Also...

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 10:14:09 PM by Rivers »

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #359 on: March 10, 2021, 08:55:52 AM »
I just heard about Joachim Cooder's latest album - Dave Macon songs done on the mbira, with a band.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal